Best Genesis games

Tell me about it, if any game needed saves, it was comix zone. I never beat it to this day because of it. :LOL:

Me too....grrr! I so much wanted to.:LOL:

BTW, which was the first console to have save system and first game to implement it?

Me too....grrr! I so much wanted to.:LOL:

BTW, which was the first console to have save system and first game to implement it?

Not really sure, off the top of my head I would assume ps1 and n64 were the first consoles with proper save systems, but I'm sure there were consoles before then that did so with some kind of add-on or something.

PS1 I would call the first "proper" save system - memory sticks and all. I remember how amazed I was at being able to throw out my old notebook containing "passwords" so I could jump to level 'x'.

Carts had them on occasion though - earliest I can think of are SNES/MD RPG's, but maybe some older gamers can go back further?

Cheers

PS1 I would call the first "proper" save system - memory sticks and all. I remember how amazed I was at being able to throw out my old notebook containing "passwords" so I could jump to level 'x'.

Carts had them on occasion though - earliest I can think of are SNES/MD RPG's, but maybe some older gamers can go back further?

Cheers
the segaCD had a save cart as well. and the 3Do had internal memory and a utility disk where you could compress unused saves to hold more.

Cheers

I think Saturn was the first to have such a system. It had a memory build in for saving. The problem was that it had a battery and after some time you had to recharge it so you wouldnt lose your saves.

What I wonder though is how could you finish RPG on a SNES or Genesis? The cards had internal memory for saving inside?

I think Saturn was the first to have such a system. It had a memory build in for saving. The problem was that it had a battery and after some time you had to recharge it so you wouldnt lose your saves.

What I wonder though is how could you finish RPG on a SNES or Genesis? The cards had internal memory for saving inside?

Yes some carts had built in SRAM for saves.
It was about $2 to the cost of manufacturing, so few people opted for it unless it was needed.
Codes to start at particular levels were also common.
But a lot of genesis and SNES games were short enough you could play through them in a single sitting. (more like arcade games than modern console games)

SegaCD did have a pathetically small amount of memory built in to let you save games. You could fit maybe 7-8 game saves depending on the file size. The save cartridge was to expand that memory.

Hahahahaha. This thread should be stickied if for no other reason than the love for the great Genesis/Megadrive. Tis true, it may be my favorite console ever. I'll have to look into that one.

Ok. You know how these things go. So many great games with so little time to play them or even post about them. But here is a list of some of my favs and maybe not so favs.

Phantasy Star II - this game is like Saturday morning sex. Always a great way to start a weekend!

Phantasy Star III - otherwise known as a garbage can

Phantasy Star IV - amazing game even better than the second one. My love for this game may even surpass the Shining series....hmmmm

Shining in the Darkness - get this game. This game is good. Play it, and you will love it. That is a promise.

Shining Force series - This in my eyes is still the greatest strategy RPG series ever. And for it I love SEGA with my heart...at least ol school SEGA.

As Vysez has previously mentioned....BEYOND OASIS is a damn good game. It is superb in every way and makes me feel like all is right in the world. Legend of Oasis on the Saturn tops it though, but that's for a different thread.

As previously mentioned....Streets of Rage series. Axel is the shit and the little kid on the skates was pretty tough for a young punk kid. And the girl was hot. And what can we say about this game...it ws the next gen form of Double Dragon back in the day and smashed its face in.

Vectorman 1 and 2....love.

Kid Chameleon with its over 5 gazillion levels made me hate it the way it kept on going and never ended, but it also made me love it that I had to keep playing and playing.

How about that pigskin footbrawl game? Was that also on the SNES? If not then get it for the Genesis, it is freakin awesome.

Now some may disagree with my next game that I hold so dear to my heart. To them I saw nanananabooboo!
Skitchin! Rollerblading game of its day and it was tight, but kind of hard. I think it was from EA too when they weren't the monotonous corporama they are now.

Ok. The list goes on and on, but I do have to end it in right now as I'm pressed for time. So I will end this with a few games that harkens back to my username on this forum.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 - Good game, good music, good graphics, great level design, great characters = the first game on the Genesis that made it a must have and solidified the SEGA generation and pretty much SEGA's answer to Mario. Only it was much better...hint hint...biased opinion from me and it's going to stay that way. I love Mario, but I idolize the blue hedgehog.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - The spindash move where you hold down and hit the buttons was genius back then. Freaking great and it did add so much to the gameplay! The level design got even better and the graphics were a lot more varied. The story got even more intricate and it was that.

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles will go into the same category because S&K was designed to lock on with Sonic 3 and make it a complete super duper hyper mega game...

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - This is the pinnacle of Sonic games to me. It was epic, it had great music, and it also had great graphics for its time. The special stages were pretty rad...but this game holds a place in my heart simply because playing it from beginning to end and getting all the chaos emeralds tobecome Super Sonic only to have them stolen again and having to regain them and then become Hyper Sonic! How bad ass was that back in the day? It was amazing, and still is to this day. My favorite game for the Genesis hands down, and it does compete with my favorite for all time.

And also my favorite band I am listening to right now. Disarm by The Smashing Pumpkins

Hahahahaha. This thread should be stickied if for no other reason than the love for the great Genesis/Megadrive. Tis true, it may be my favorite console ever. I'll have to look into that one.

Ok. You know how these things go. So many great games with so little time to play them or even post about them. But here is a list of some of my favs and maybe not so favs.

Phantasy Star II - this game is like Saturday morning sex. Always a great way to start a weekend!

Phantasy Star III - otherwise known as a garbage can

Phantasy Star IV - amazing game even better than the second one. My love for this game may even surpass the Shining series....hmmmm

Shining in the Darkness - get this game. This game is good. Play it, and you will love it. That is a promise.

Shining Force series - This in my eyes is still the greatest strategy RPG series ever. And for it I love SEGA with my heart...at least ol school SEGA.

As Vysez has previously mentioned....BEYOND OASIS is a damn good game. It is superb in every way and makes me feel like all is right in the world. Legend of Oasis on the Saturn tops it though, but that's for a different thread.

As previously mentioned....Streets of Rage series. Axel is the shit and the little kid on the skates was pretty tough for a young punk kid. And the girl was hot. And what can we say about this game...it ws the next gen form of Double Dragon back in the day and smashed its face in.

Vectorman 1 and 2....love.

Kid Chameleon with its over 5 gazillion levels made me hate it the way it kept on going and never ended, but it also made me love it that I had to keep playing and playing.

How about that pigskin footbrawl game? Was that also on the SNES? If not then get it for the Genesis, it is freakin awesome.

Now some may disagree with my next game that I hold so dear to my heart. To them I saw nanananabooboo!
Skitchin! Rollerblading game of its day and it was tight, but kind of hard. I think it was from EA too when they weren't the monotonous corporama they are now.

Ok. The list goes on and on, but I do have to end it in right now as I'm pressed for time. So I will end this with a few games that harkens back to my username on this forum.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 - Good game, good music, good graphics, great level design, great characters = the first game on the Genesis that made it a must have and solidified the SEGA generation and pretty much SEGA's answer to Mario. Only it was much better...hint hint...biased opinion from me and it's going to stay that way. I love Mario, but I idolize the blue hedgehog.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - The spindash move where you hold down and hit the buttons was genius back then. Freaking great and it did add so much to the gameplay! The level design got even better and the graphics were a lot more varied. The story got even more intricate and it was that.

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles will go into the same category because S&K was designed to lock on with Sonic 3 and make it a complete super duper hyper mega game...

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - This is the pinnacle of Sonic games to me. It was epic, it had great music, and it also had great graphics for its time. The special stages were pretty rad...but this game holds a place in my heart simply because playing it from beginning to end and getting all the chaos emeralds tobecome Super Sonic only to have them stolen again and having to regain them and then become Hyper Sonic! How bad ass was that back in the day? It was amazing, and still is to this day. My favorite game for the Genesis hands down, and it does compete with my favorite for all time.

And also my favorite band I am listening to right now. Disarm by The Smashing Pumpkins

If I am not mistaken S&K/Sonic3 had some connectivity with 1 and 2 too. Btw is there a way I can combine these games with the emulation?

PS: I prefer Sonic over Mario all the way as well!! And I hope someday Sonic regains his superpopulrity he had back in the 16bit days. Coolest platform character ever!!!

Browsing the net (and of course the lovely input from this thread) I've been remembering more games that took my youth:

Eternal Champions

A 2D fighter with controls similar to Street Fighter 2. The plot was something along the lines of the best fighters throughout time were called to a tournament to beat someone badass. This meant you had a gorgeous array of charatcers unlike anything we'd seen in games prior, or since.

Larcen, the 1920's PI, fighting Trident, the ancient underwater king who lost his empire when it sunk under the ocean. Beautiful, and endless fun.

Flashback
How could anyone forget Flashback? Multiplatform, but still the perfect 2D action platformer, with a more mature approach than most. Think Prince of Persia (1) in the future, designed by French game makers.

Gods
Refer above, but rather than futuristic, think ancient-Greece/fantasy.

And two I'll briefly go into...
Aladdin and The Lion King
Very similar gameplay styles, but once upon a time Dinsey movie spin-offs were some of the best games around.

I'm sure I'll think of more as I go into this. It's great to think of the "good old days" sometimes.

My favorite game for the genesis is Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I first played it on sega channel and was hooked. It had 55 levels and I played with a friend till we got to last boss... "A huge spider thing that spawned from a Labguy" Its still alot of fun today and the music is entertaining. It's also on the snes but the music isn't as good but is full screen opposed to the genesis' 3/4 screen graphics. That last 1/4 was a black column with your health stats and weapons. Never takes away from the game tho. Check it out if ya can.

Remember Thunderforce 3. That game had everything a shoot them up fan would have prayed for, from the huge bosses to the amazing (first ever I think) sinusoidal scrolling and the frantic action and cool weaponry !
Boy, I hope Gears will feel as good as Thunderforce !

My favorite game for the genesis is Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I first played it on sega channel and was hooked. It had 55 levels and I played with a friend till we got to last boss... "A huge spider thing that spawned from a Labguy" Its still alot of fun today and the music is entertaining. It's also on the snes but the music isn't as good but is full screen opposed to the genesis' 3/4 screen graphics. That last 1/4 was a black column with your health stats and weapons. Never takes away from the game tho. Check it out if ya can.
Zombies Ate my Neighbors, just Zombies in Europe, was an incredibly fun game with a ton of jokes relating to the 50's horror/sci-fi movies. It was almost impossible to finish in one player, though.
And two I'll briefly go into...
Aladdin and The Lion King
Very similar gameplay styles, but once upon a time Dinsey movie spin-offs were some of the best games around.
There's a big difference between the two, firstly the animation in Aladdin was really incredible (the animations of the sprites were done by the Disney's animators), secondly, and that's quite the difference, Aladdin didn't have a crazy difficulty.
Remember Thunderforce 3. That game had everything a shoot them up fan would have prayed for, from the huge bosses to the amazing (first ever I think) sinusoidal scrolling and the frantic action and cool weaponry !
The most incredible thing about Thunderforce 3 is that it's still quite playable and enjoyable to this very day.

FWIW - The animation for both Aladin and Lion King were done by Disney animation services in Florida. The sprites were actually "finished" by Virgin and Westwood internal teams respectively.

Personally I always preferred the SNES version of Aladin by Capcom.

I do agree that Lion King was too difficult, and I wrote it. It's what happens when you give designers free reign, your designer is a hardcore gamer, so he builds for hard core gamers.

I do agree that Lion King was too difficult, and I wrote it.
Wait, what?

So that means that you were responsible for my Top Gear graphics disapointment and for the the anger I felt trying to finish The Lion King (I finished it, but still).

:p Now, more seriously and completely OT, do you know the story behind the first pictures of Top Gear? Was is it an actual up and running game (on a different platform maybe?) or was it a straight "render target" like we call them today?

So many good times with the Genesis.

Sonic series was amazing, especially those semi 3D bonus levels. Didn't like sonic 1 much though.

You all seem to forget about MICKEY MANIA. This game was amazing, the graphics absolutely superb, I don't think there is a better looking game on the megadrive. It had incredible variety. The first level was in black and white as it started in Mickeys Past and slowly became color. It just took the player through all the Mickey movies up to the present day. Really awsome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mania

Shining Force series, first RPG I ever played was Shining Force 2, it was amazing.

Phantasy Star IV. I think I finished this game at least 5 times. I still wonder why they didn't make a remake. PSO just doesn't cut it.

Streets Of Rage 3, oh yeay baby. The kid with the Skates was awsome and later you got Roo to kangaroo hehehe.

How about Mortal Kombat 2 for the 32x. Or Ultimate Kombat 3. What about the street fighters.

I also really liked the game Syndicate. First time I played it it was on the Atari Jaguar, but the megadrive versionw as pretty cool too.

Beyond Oasis rocked my boat. Wonder what happened to that franchise. The animation and scope of the game where outstanding at the time.

Landstalker anyone? Shadowrun, the most awsomest cyberpunk RPG of the time?

And last but not least, Samurai Showdown which was as close as the Genesis ever got to the real arcade goodness.

Honorable mentions go to: Lion King, Aladin and Jursaic Park.

If I am not mistaken S&K/Sonic3 had some connectivity with 1 and 2 too. Btw is there a way I can combine these games with the emulation?

Yup, S&K allowed you to hook up 1-3 to its own cartridge. You could use knuckles in Sonic 2 and 3 and even get to areas previously unreachable by Sonic due to the wall climbing and gliding. :) In Sonic, the game would become a seemingly endless collection of levels where you collect those blue spheres.

Back