Best of Xbox 360: 4 Player Games

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
In your opinion, what are the BEST Xbox 360 4 player games? The platform has matured a lot but there has been a decided shift AWAY from split-screen gaming, especially 4 player. XBLA has picked up the slack some, but overall the pickings are slim (e.g. no really good 4 player racing games, no solid party game, etc). We are having company this weekend for some Xbox gaming and am kind of brainstorming what we will play. We are looking at some non-violent games. Anyhow, here are some of my favorites:

XBOX 360
---------------------
Halo 3. A little bare on most maps and the lack of solid maps for 2v2 objectives, but still a solid experience. And you can take it online if you wish. All negatives aside Halo 3 is pretty much the benchmark of 4 player gamer-games.

CoD: MW1/MW2. No online but the maps tend to be smaller and easier to do 2v2 gameplay.

? I picked up Viva Pinata Party animals on the very, very cheap and was very, very disappointed. Mainly because you cannot setup a series of the better minigames in a row and just play those (you basically need to do them one by one and forebear horribly long load times).

No good 4 player racing games, kart games, or party games. Although I haven't tried Baja Edge of control, the overall selection is light.

XBLA
---------------------
Geometry Wars 2. Completely accessible, utterly awesome. Requires a ton of skill for greatness. Perfect game design--I only wish there was some sort of battlemode ala Space Wars just for giggles. My only real complaint (online play isn't possible). If only I were good as Graham--he is AWSOME at this game :(

Age of Booty. Again, very accessible but requires a lot of strategy. More tactical than twitchy, very underrated game. If you need a good 4 player game give this a try. Even my wife likes this!

Feeding Frenzy. Yet Again, accessible, but topping out in difficulty. Fun colorful game with some solid minigames.

Worms Armageddon. Controls take a little getting used to but the game is just over the top fun.

Load Runner. A solid remake. I get bored of it quickly but my kids love it.

Castle Crashers. Frantic, fun, excellent design. Loooong gameplay. A little violent. Just a little...

Mad Tracks. Only a serviceable 4 player RC racing game.

Did I miss any great 4 player XBLA games?

XBL Indie Games
---------------------
Avatar Golf. With some minor tweaks in terms of variables this could be an absolute killer golf game. Very good none-the-less.

Wool. A very simple game: scare the sheep to your area and bark them out of your opponents. Simple design wonderfully executed.

Battle Havok. An action version of Scorched Earth. Could use some design tweaks (e.g. more control over weapons and buying) but the controls are spot on and the game is a ton of fun.

Avatar Drop. Very simple, but at $1 it is a fun diversion.

War Ships. Essentially Battleship with a 4 player mode.

Guardian. Missile defense game with a switch. You are in orbit around earth, can get upgrades via tractor beams, and must be careful NOT to shoot earth as you orbit. Easy to pick up but requires some skill on harder levels.

A lot of really good split screen games (GeoW2 with Horde, ODST with FireFight, Toy Soldiers) but alas they aren't 4 player. I would love to see 4 player Peggle. Likewise 4 player Trials HD would be total ACE.

Best 4-player shmup on Xbox is Decimation X in the Indie Games channel. Here are some more 4-player games on XBLIG...

I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1
Biology Battle
Halfbrick Rocket Racing
Bowling X
Tank Strike

Here's some Live Arcade games..

Aegis Wing - Great game & its FREE!
Doom
Heavy Weapon
TMNT
TMNT" TTRS

Tommy McClain

Didn't really play Halo 3 4p co-op much. Ended up being rather laggy the few times I played it. Would have liked to do it more though. ODST firefight was great.

Castle Crashers was pretty fun though I played it mostly 3 player with my brother and his partner.

*mugs* :3

Halo 3 is definitely the best, but who plays team games with only 4 players?
FFA all the way, 2 on 2 Grifball works quite well though.

Of the downloadable titles Geo Wars 2 is pick of the crop, Age of Booty and Castle Crashers are also fun.

I'm predicting that Blur will make this list when it comes out too.

We had our little party. Age of Booty was a huge hit. Within 10 minutes they all got it and were really hooked. Trials HD was also super popular, although the lack of a proper party mode made it hard to pass the controller (just one more try! was the constant plea) Geometry Wars 2 went over really well, although the speed at which the game progresses + color insanity made a couple of them lose themselves over and over. Waves and Sequence was really kicking their butts. The other parent needed a break from "Asteroids on Steroids." The kids loved it though, one thought it was the best game he had ever played. The big winner was probably Forza 3 though. Only 2 players, but I have a FF wheel. It was fun seeing their teen brag, "I want no assists and manual" and then end up in the dirt every corner--especially since he chose a totally tricked out Audi R8 (0-60 in 2.7s, 0-100 in 5.7s). After a number of races they learned the 2 courses we ran and got the assists just right and they were having a great time. They are kind of motorheads and play a lot of arcade racers and Mario Kart so Forza went over big.

Anyhow, thanks for all the brain storming. I hope Natal ushers in some proper party games and kart games.

Yeah, I've had a lot of fun with racing games like that, especially with wheels. Almost anyone drives a car, and every kid wants to, so it tends to work out. I always give them slow FF cars to start with though. :) I even have two wheels, so that helped.

On the PS3, Motorstorm 2 has taken over (from GT) in that area because it has up to four player splitscreen and sixaxis controls also making things casual friendly without having to break out the wheels (though 2 player split-screen is a much nicer experience than 4).

Did you consult websites like these by the way? I think this one is limited to co-op games, but it's a great place to start:

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/1/xbox-360.html

Back