Best CGI

I think the Golem character from LOTR and Kong from KK are among the best uses of CGI to this day (perhaps with the pre-latest FF stepping on their toes).
So far, I bought and watched King Kong (GREAT! Although most of it is models), all the LOTR (VERY GOOD!) and I'm now watching FF: Spirits within (WOW!! SUPERB!!! How could I have missed that???).

Thanks!

Then again, a bit of believable story and plot would have been nice. Still, the visuals are the very best.

I wasn't satisfied with my old 4:3 CRT tv, so I bought a new one for maximum viewing pleasures: a Samsung 32" LCD TV with all the bells and whistles. And I have to say, that I'm only moderately satisfied with the viewing experience. In short: scaling sucks. But it was pretty cheap (750 Euro), so I'm not complaining.

I use RGB input instead of SCART, turned off the digital filter and turned progressive on, that makes it acceptable. And it's nice and big. But I hate the scaling artifacts. If you want to display 720 lines, you should have 720 lines, and not 768. It's clearly visible.

I think I am going to try using the VGA input, and have the PC or my videocard do the scaling. And compare which one does it best: the player, the ATi 800 or the nVidia 6600. I'm pretty sure it will look MUCH better that way in either case.

Stupid, eh? That you need a PC to be able to watch a DVD in all it's glory? Then again, I can rip them and put them all on my harddisk. And use a player like Media Player Classic, that offers all the features I'm used to, instead of the basics you get with a stand-alone DVD player.

So far, I bought and watched King Kong (GREAT! Although most of it is models), all the LOTR (VERY GOOD!) and I'm now watching FF: Spirits within (WOW!! SUPERB!!! How could I have missed that???).

Thanks!
"FF VII: Advent Children" has some very good scenes too.

VGA with 1:1 pixel mapping probably will be better than video component. Have fun ;)

I just got the tv to work as a monitor (YUMMY!), and using Media Player Classic to play the DVD, it looks absolutely gorgeous! :) :) :)

But I am baffled by the total stupidity of this solution. Ah, well, I'll rip them all and use my wireless mouse.

Really. Why can't those Square dorks understand the need of some interesting, or at least comprehensible story and plot to go with the incredible visuals? This was the one my nephew digs, but I don't care about. And I still don't, even with the incredibly nice visuals.

Well, I just watched Blade Runner: the directors cut. As a baseline, so to say. And while the first time is the best, what more can I say but: I still want more!

No CGI at all, I know. But a great story and still totally believable special effects. And the single most important inspiration for Deus Ex if I'm any judge. It's just so much alike.

Are there any movies out there that aren't simply gorgeous to look at, but that also have a great story?

What a coincidence, I saw Blade Runner yesterday.
One movie I saw this weekend was "Memoirs of a Geisha". Different with very good dark visuals. A chalenging for LCDs in general.

I've always admired the talent and technology that ILM brought to the CGI/movie industry. My two favorite CGI movies are the Juraissic Park series and the remake of War of the Worlds not only because of the VFX but the story.

Jurassic Park still impresses me. That said, Davy Jones just floored me.
They're next on my list, although I don't think the DVD for PotC 2 is out yet. But it might still run in a theater nearby.

I've always admired the talent and technology that ILM brought to the CGI/movie industry. My two favorite CGI movies are the Juraissic Park series and the remake of War of the Worlds not only because of the VFX but the story.
WotW is on my list as well.

Well, for me, at the moment it's Pirates of the Caribbean 2, hands down. Throughout the whole move, I thought Davy Jones was an awesome Stan Winston creation - I was shocked when I read he was fully CGI. Sorry WETA guys, but ILM is back. ('bout time!)
I just watched both of them (part 2 turned out to be on DVD just recently), and I and I totally agree: those are definitely the best CGI I have seen so far! Superb! And I liked the story as well!

What is even better? I'll see the others on the list as soon as I find them.

i'd have to say the CGI videos in Starcraft, Diablo II, and WarCraft III, i'm wanting video games with graphics that real, or at least full length movies

Back