Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the LG oled 55 B6 eventually and I have a few first impressions. HDR is glorious, even on standard PS4 (Horizon Zero Dawn)
Netflix only support HDR on ps4 pro though, but you can use the tv app
I think HDR is a bigger improvement than 4k

I dunno, I kinda have mixed feelings about HDR with my experience so far. I still wonder why it isn't just accused of being "cartoony" or "overstaturated" like my old Samsung AMOLED phone displays always were in reviews.

The main thing though is I feel like with anything else about TV, you quickly get used to it and dont notice it anymore (unless it's removed maybe). That's just inherent in ANY type of TV technology though, IMO.

Quick update: got my 65C7 delivered. Viewing distance is 9ft.

Did some eye based calibration and turned off all enhancements. In short, the set is mindblowingly good. Having it in my house, it's even better than I expected.

Was quite impressed by the 4K/HDR quality of YouTube and Netflix. Those are my only 4K sources for now. To be honest, even Pacific Rim BluRay could have me fooled for being HDR. Rewatching my blu ray and he DVD collection will be a pure treat.

The OS is really good and fast. That was quite a pleasant surprise as I was constantly in the settings learning and exploring.

There's something awesome about a pitch black sceen yet the Tv still being on.

There was some guy on AVS forum bitching about the "ABL" on those LG Oled's. Automatic brightness limiter. Basically in a fullscreen bright scene, it throttles the brightness way down to like 160 nits, and he thinks it's a hard limitation of OLED and cant be fixed, and a dealbreaker.

Just goes to show somebody wont be happy with anything and opinions vary, I guess. Since otherwise those TV's are often seen as untouchable.

Does anybody have any idea why the 850D is selling for $200 more (at least on Amazon.us) than the 850E? Rtings says the stand isn't as good on the 2017 E model, but otherwise, I can't find a reason why the 2016 D would be more expensive or preferable?

There was some guy on AVS forum bitching about the "ABL" on those LG Oled's. Automatic brightness limiter. Basically in a fullscreen bright scene, it throttles the brightness way down to like 160 nits, and he thinks it's a hard limitation of OLED and cant be fixed, and a dealbreaker.

Just goes to show somebody wont be happy with anything and opinions vary, I guess. Since otherwise those TV's are often seen as untouchable.

Maybe he watches TV in the backyard?

Well there is always at least one negative thing about any TV set, and for the OLEDs that ABL is pretty much one of the very few negatives. I personally didn't like how it looked like in person but that's just me.

My ZD9 has a few negatives as well so, unless you just don't care a lot about this stuff, we tend to get the set that has negatives you can live with. Negatives that don't overpower the positives.

I was able to get a somewhat shady credit card price protection credit on my LeEco a few people were doing on slick deals I happened to read about. They credited me $219 back on a $349 set.

So yeah for $130 I'm keeping it lol. It's a stopgap to use right now/indefinitely, and I can sell it later for more than 130. 55" 4k/HDR for $130 not bad...

Still kinda got my heart set on that TCL 55", but I doubt there's realistically enough difference to bother with hundreds of dollars of cost, until I move up to 65".

Given I got a discount the X1X and I'm getting it for $430 not 499, and and I'm gonna sell off my Xbox One S for likely 150+ after I get the X, the whole 4k upgrade shebang console+TV will cost me net maybe like $400 for now. I suppose less if you count the 150-200 i hope to sell my old TV for. Maybe like 200-ish. Pleased.

Xbox One X 460 after tax
Sell Xbox One S: 150
Craigslist: old 55" 1080P Vizio 150
Net sales 300
Le Eco:130
Total outlay 460+130=590
Total sales 300
Net upgrade, Xbox One S+1080P SDR 55" to Xbox One X +55" 4k/HDR with semi-decent specs=~$290

Last edited:
and he thinks it's a hard limitation of OLED and cant be fixed, and a dealbreaker.
Why does OLED have this issue anyway, do the wires in the display panel overheat and burn out if too many pixels are turned on at max brightness, or what? (HCF analogy with microprocessors, kind of... :p)

I'm pretty sure the limitation is energy consumption. In Canada there are very strict limits to the amount of electricity a TV is permitted to consume. Hard limits must be made to ensure the tv receives an energy star efficiency certification. Plus the power supply on the TV would have to be improved greatly, and may be too large to fit in the slim profile of the TV.

Just bought a Dell Infinity Edge monitor model S2718HN, and although not 4k this is marketed as an HDR monitor with an 1080p res.
There is something I dont quite get with its HDR mode. I connected my PS4 and when I choose HDR, colors look brighter but the screen resolution output of my screen looks significantly lower. All detail is lost. The display reports 1080p 60hz though.

Anyone else noticed something similar with their a TV or monitor?

Just bought a Dell Infinity Edge monitor model S2718HN, and although not 4k this is marketed as an HDR monitor with an 1080p res.
There is something I dont quite get with its HDR mode. I connected my PS4 and when I choose HDR, colors look brighter but the screen resolution output of my screen looks significantly lower. All detail is lost. The display reports 1080p 60hz though.

HDR mode might have really over-saturated colours or blown out whites that wash out detail.

That monitor's using a 6-bit (with FRC) panel with a 1000:1 contrast ratio and 250 cd/m² of brightness. None of those specs indicate an ability to represent HDR very well.

OLEDs generate very little heat.
Well, per area unit I'm sure that's true, but when you have a lot of said area units, and - especially as power is AFAIK supplied only from the edges of the panel - a lot of switched-on pixels (3800ish per row) might incur a comparatively high ampearage at full brightness, which has to be carried through quite long, thin and narrow wiring.

Well, per area unit I'm sure that's true, but when you have a lot of said area units, and - especially as power is AFAIK supplied only from the edges of the panel - a lot of switched-on pixels (3800ish per row) might incur a comparatively high ampearage at full brightness, which has to be carried through quite long, thin and narrow wiring.

My guess is it's more likely a power limit. You have millions of pixels to turn on, so they probably just can't supply the power they need to turn all of the pixels near full brightness at the same time. I don't know how much power the larger oleds are already drawing with ABL, but it's probably significant.

Let's talk about ads, shall we?

It seems to me that any TV that isn't running base android and is running either WebOS or a proprietary OS is serving you up ads as you either sit in the main menu screen or surf through apps. Is this the case? As the three major players are LG, Samsung and Sony, it looks like only Sony isn't stealing your bandwidth to advertise to you when all you want to do is use your TV.

I'm sort of surprised this doesn't seem to have been discussed (although I could have missed it, granted in a 27 page thread), considering how much people balked when MS started stealing tiles and screen space to serve up ads.

Are the ads intrusive, annoying? More or less so than the ones on XB? Am I misunderstanding the articles on rtings.com? Considering they actually have it as a review category, I'm thinking it's probably important or a discussion point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back