Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A TV which shows ads to me is absolutely, completely unacceptable. It would go right the fuck back to the store if it was to do a thing like that - unless there was an option somewhere to turn it off of course.

A TV which shows ads to me is absolutely, completely unacceptable. It would go right the fuck back to the store if it was to do a thing like that - unless there was an option somewhere to turn it off of course.
Trouble is if you want the quality of set, you are stuck with the OS. You can't install a different OS. So the choice of TV becomes picture quality + UI experience, and if the best picture and value by far is, say, a Samsung OLED, but it comes with adverts, while a notably inferior TV comes sans ads, which one do you go with? Product descriptions don't even mention adverts in the interface.

Personally I think it's disgusting and there should be legislation against it. There's legislation preventing putting up posters and billboards and such to limit encroachment of adverts, and legislation protecting against invasive advertising in the home. I don't see why that shouldn't be extended to computer interfaces.

Isn't someone hacking the FW to remove them? Jailbreaking is legal so I'd have thought some hacker would be onto it.

Well I personally just wouldn't tolerate a Samsung TV with ads, even if I had to go with something with worse IQ. If push comes to shove, I'd just keep using the older full-HD/non-HDR Samsung I'm using right now. It's got smart shit (which allegedly spies on you from what I read a few years ago), but I never agreed to the terms of use, so I assume that means it can't spy on me. :p

(Doesn't mean it still doesn't do it of course, because those koreans seem to do whatever the fuck they want... :p)

Ads in TVs are a security risk as well as privacy invasion btw; we know how often exploits have used deliberately malformed data delivered through ad networks to trigger a flaw in the OS of regular home computers and even mobile devices; surely such/similar forms of weaponized ads could be used on a TV as well - especially if it runs something as complex as android for its firmware - and with no antimalware software on the device it would be a sitting duck for any zombie botnetter or spam mailer or just general spyware listening and/or watching through mics and cameras and whatnot...

The latest Samsung update apparently bricked a bunch of sets. What are the odds that the update was to make the UI more responsive - or to update the ads?
http://www.zdnet.com/article/samsungs-bad-software-update-bricks-smart-tvs/

This is from May, where Samsung is updating old sets to include ad servers
https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/30/...levisions-new-menu-bar-ads-european-expansion

LG has ads, Panasonic has ads, as I mentioned I think only Sony sets that run essentially stock android as their OS don't include ads (as "premium" manufacturers). I imagine there's a number of non name brand sets that also run android and don't serve up ads, either but I don't know which brands those might be.

As I decide between LG, Samsung and Sony, you can bet that Sony is leading not only because of quality/price considerations but because of ads. Don't want them. No thank you.

The latest Samsung update apparently bricked a bunch of sets. What are the odds that the update was to make the UI more responsive - or to update the ads?
http://www.zdnet.com/article/samsungs-bad-software-update-bricks-smart-tvs/

This is from May, where Samsung is updating old sets to include ad servers
https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/30/...levisions-new-menu-bar-ads-european-expansion

LG has ads, Panasonic has ads, as I mentioned I think only Sony sets that run essentially stock android as their OS don't include ads (as "premium" manufacturers). I imagine there's a number of non name brand sets that also run android and don't serve up ads, either but I don't know which brands those might be.

As I decide between LG, Samsung and Sony, you can bet that Sony is leading not only because of quality/price considerations but because of ads. Don't want them. No thank you.

Ugh, really thought LG had no ads.

Last edited:
How many sets are not a SmartTV? I bought my 55" LG specifically because it wasn't a SmartTV. Why would I need that if everything I view is from my Xbox?

Tommy McClain

I think all 4k TV's outside of "professional" displays are SmartTV's.

To avoid it, never hook your TV up to the network and the firmware won't activate/update.

I have a Samsung TV and had many before. I have never seen a single ad anywhere... Where are they hiding them!?

Tell me your model number, and I'll let you know.

There's a reason I don't connect my Samsung smart tv to my home network.
Ugh yeah, tell me about it... I was amazed to find dual-band wifi (AND bluetooth!) in my "smart" Samsuck from a couple years back when I came home and turned it on after unpacking it. Being a stupid gadget geek I immediately connected it so that I would be able to update firmware, because that is cool and fun. (Jesus... Excited about updating firmware in a TV, which only needs to show moving images and that's it... /facepalm)

So now, every time the TV silently updates its "smart hub" - which is the actual "smart" bit, which I've never ever used - the TV plops up a reminder that it updated on the screen, asking me if I want to run said hub.

Right in my weekly fucking Game of Thrones episode it plopped up on me!

Of course, the "yes" button is highlighted, and not the "fuck off" button as you would have wanted...

Jesus, Samsuck! What the hell are you doing!!!

Worst of all? There's no option to disconnect from a wifi network that I can tell, short of resetting the TV, or changing the SSID/PW of said network... Bravo, Samsuck, bravo. Given the ability to rewind time, I never would have connected that TV. It's not like I ever noticed any firmware improvements to it anyway. The menu system is just as shittily organized and slow and difficult to work with as when I bought the damn thing.

So yeah, next time it'll have to be a Sony again if this ad nonsense continues. I used to buy nothing else when it comes to A/V gear, but strayed when I bought this current TV... Only ever owned three sets in my life btw. One 14" Trinitron tube bought in '86 I think, and then a widescreen 17" LCD in '05. (Yeah! That fucker worked for 19 years, and still worked by the time I replaced it! Only reason I did replace it was that the channel switcher buttons came loose and popped inside the bezel... That, and the picture quality was getting a bit screwy by then; everything had a distinct ruddy color tone...) Then this abomination in 2013 or 14 maybe, I don't quite recall.

It's KS9000 in US and KS8000 in Europe.

It should have ads on the Home screen. Did you ever connect your TV to your network?

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tv/thread-id/1614/page/6

Worst of all? There's no option to disconnect from a wifi network that I can tell, short of resetting the TV, or changing the SSID/PW of said network... Bravo, Samsuck, bravo. Given the ability to rewind time, I never would have connected that TV. It's not like I ever noticed any firmware improvements to it anyway. The menu system is just as shittily organized and slow and difficult to work with as when I bought the damn thing.

Sorry to have pulled the scab off that wound, Grall.

I think the Smart TV features in my TV are pretty damn good to be honest. Youtube and HBO are working great. even the Web browser is quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back