Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer my SmartTV.

- The LG WebOS is much faster than the XB1 interface
- Well laid out
- Apps (netflix and Prime for me mainly) give me native 4K+HDR and are more responsive than the XB1 versions
- Instant on. No loading time for the apps and there as soon as the TV comes on
- No second remote/controller/etc needed. There's even a special buttons for Netflix and Amazon on the remote!

I'm quite excited about the XB1X because it's a very powerful console and I can't wait to play 4k BluRay's on it. Outside of that, the SmartTV will still win out for streaming for the reasons mentioned.
Nice feedback. Sounds like a well-rounded experience. But I thought LG changed to Android instead of WebOS? Also, when you use your Smart TV, do you game or watch TV/movies more?

Tommy McClain

A lot depends on what kind of embedded processors they use.

Sony's XBR 900 E line is pretty well-regarded for FALD but there are complaints about the sluggishness of the Android TV apps. and UI. It also turns out that the processor is unable or support Dolby Vision so this line won't get a DV update like other, more expensive Sony models.

Or Sony is unwilling maybe, for this price point.

Then there's the issue of spying. Samsung and Vizio were spying and then earlier this year it was revealed that the NSA had hacks for common smart TVs and those hacks got out.

How well are TV manufacturers supporting security patches on these smart TVs?

Nice feedback. Sounds like a well-rounded experience. But I thought LG changed to Android instead of WebOS? Also, when you use your Smart TV, do you game or watch TV/movies more?

Tommy McClain

No android thankfully. WebOS is fantastic really. iPhone level responsiveness and 0 issues so far. I don’t play any games via smart tv

I don’t game much so it’s mainly tv and movies. For movies it’s mainly Blu-ray via xb1.

True enough. Don't have one & not buying one either. Just reading here. Said as much before. So, if I'm reading Neilsen right most hours are spent using game consoles for media apps versus all other devices. Tells me console gamers want to stay in only one device versus other ways. Once the amount of SmartTVs get closer to consoles, maybe we will know if they prefer SmartTV apps versus console apps.

Tommy McClain

I'll bet the preference is based on ease of use or ergonomics than performance. I regularly launch apps from both interfaces depending on what I'm doing. The difference in performance isn't large enough to prefer one app over another. Not enough to put down my controller and pick up a TV remote to use a TV app. Nor enough for me to launch the Xbox UI to launch an app when a couple of button presses on my tv remote is simple and fast enough.

SmartTVs will win out with major apps simply because for most they will represent the most efficient way to start an app.

However, the biggest potential issue with smartTVs is that they may age rather poorly. Manufacturers don't have the greatest track record when it comes keeping older TVs up to date. And stability isn't what the overall TV market is known for especially when it comes to smart apps.

Last edited:
True enough. Don't have one & not buying one either. Just reading here. Said as much before. So, if I'm reading Neilsen right most hours are spent using game consoles for media apps versus all other devices. Tells me console gamers want to stay in only one device versus other ways. Once the amount of SmartTVs get closer to consoles, maybe we will know if they prefer SmartTV apps versus console apps.

Tommy McClain

No, you're clearly not reading Neilsen correctly. Connected consoles outnumber Smart TV's by a ratio of about 2:1. Yet connected app usage between consoles and native Smart TV apps is 30% to 27%. Of those 30% using consoles to access apps, based upon the early 2:1 number, we know that most of them don't have the ability to even use native Smart TV apps.

No android thankfully.

I don't get the Android TV hate. Once I removed all the Sony shit bloatware, the experience on the X900 is identical to that in form, function and responsiveness to my Shield TV which is widely regarded as one of the best streaming boxes. I'm having a difficult time reconciling the large praise for the Shield and the bashing of Android TV when they are identical.

Now, I haven't compared them to WebOS or RokuOS, so it could be true that those are more responsive and offer a better experience. But there certainly isn't anything noticeably laggy or missing from either the TV OS or the Shield OS. Quite frankly, even if there were delay differences in the milliseconds, I'd accept that in order to be able to stream 4K HDR flawlessly to a native Kodi app rather than go through the hassle of using another device and another remote.

I thought that, but Google suggested it was a fairly outdated concept and TVs don't spy. Security is still an issue though, but then are console any less likely to get their browser hacked?

I thought that, but Google suggested it was a fairly outdated concept and TVs don't spy. Security is still an issue though, but then are console any less likely to get their browser hacked?

They haven't been targeted by the NSA.

I was replying to wco81 about security. As for spying, I thought the concern was the TV manufacturers spying which has been stamped out now. No? Don't really know. The NSA or Russians or whoever else is another matter entirely, independent of the device - no device is intrinsically more or less secure unless, I guess, the manufacturer has gone out of their way to publicly toot and enforce their security.

I'm not totally convinced about the spying thing though. Certainly not video. There's no way they'd get a decent video upstream from any typical UK broadband, and if they saturated the limited upstream BW, the video from Netflix et al would majorly suffer. When uploading any large file, I have to hold of any form of download until it's done.

I think it may be things like logging viewing.

They were also supposedly using the mic but not all TVs have mics?

<OT> Is the UK really that backwards compared to the US when it comes to bandwidth availability? Or is it just because you might have opted for the cheapest and lowest tier offering? In the US I know several people who had their PCs, Routers, WIFI devices infected and were chewing through 400 - 500 Gigs of data a month without ever noticing it.

ADSL means 12+ Mbps download, which is plenty for streaming, but 1 Mbps upload if you're lucky. Throw in contention and that can easily be halved. Unless the US wants to watch original YouTube SD quality videos, they're not going to get much. Of course, that changes when you use something like fibre which is an option for many, but personally I don't see the advantages of the added cost.

ADSL means 12+ Mbps download, which is plenty for streaming, but 1 Mbps upload if you're lucky. Throw in contention and that can easily be halved. Unless the US wants to watch original YouTube SD quality videos, they're not going to get much. Of course, that changes when you use something like fibre which is an option for many, but personally I don't see the advantages of the added cost.

4K hdr Netflix stream is a continuous 15Mbps. You need fibre.

Hmm I dont recall that. Didn't pay attention that much though, but I think I would have noticed.

Netflix app does run in HDR though,the red letters are so rich! But the SDR content seems normal.

Well the main issue is that when you send an HDR signal to most (or all?) TVs, they kick into HDR mode, so they kick the backlight to max etc etc. You really don’t want to watch SDR stuff like that as the levels are all wrong. At least on my TV, watching SDR with the backlight on max is eye searingly bright and clearly not right.

It just shows how little oversight the app makers have in all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back