Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah reading up on that Dell monitor it seems that it is HDR in the sense that it can accept a HDR10 input source (if the source is also 4K). But the display itself isn't really HDR. It's probably taking the HDR10 source input and attempting to simulate HDR as best it can on that display.

But this monitor is sort of interesting though. I mean it would be a way to play PS4 Pro on a 1080p display and have it downscale every PS4 Pro enhanced game if that's what you wanted. Though I'm not sure if there is more going on when PC/consoles downsample than just a "downscaling" effect.

That's what I was thinking would happen...but I don't believe regular PS4 outputs a 4K signal correct? Too bad someone couldn't test. This might be a very cheap way to get 1080p "HDR".
Yes they dont output 4k signal This is why a few pages back the monitor completely failed when I tried my regular PS4 with HDR on it.

It upscales, so it would upscale to 4K and then your monitor would downscale it back to 1080p. :LOL:
This is why it would make it a peculiar case if HDR looks correctly on my monitor when playing games on the S.
A 900p native game on S with HDR would show nicely on the monitor simply because it outputs a 4K signal (upscaled), whereas a 1080p native game with HDR on regular PS4 would look like total garbage (as in the example I posted some time back when tested Horizon Zero with my monitor)?
Simply because the monitor gets a 4k signal, HDR magically works?

What a weird technology if thats the case. I would like to try it out with an S to see if it works well

My TV seems to be buggy enough as expected, anyways I notice sometimes it "sticks" temporarily in HDR for a few minutes even after you leave a HDR game. It did it tonight when I left the Forza 7 demo.

For the dashboard, it looks wonderful when this bug occurs, the colors are so rich and sublime. which leads me to a perhaps stupid question, is there such thing as an HDR dashboard possible? Shouldn't that be a thing? Or is it since non-HDR content has to be displayed (aka ads/trailers of non HDR movies/games etc) it's not possible?

Sometimes it "sticks" into the next game even. In Destiny's case the colors look really bad and fubared! Turning the set off+on fixed it.

I dont think so, the colors look super err, rich and HDR-ey. On the dash it looks fantastic. Although I think it only does this on the sidebar (pulling it up from game) not the full dash, that I've ever seen.

For Destiny you can really tell when it's on hdr cause the colors are super rich and "off". Almost a bit like chromatic aberration. It's not pretty unlike the dash.

I may snap some cell phone pics..

I've read about this before, maybe on AVS forum. I'm not the only one. HDR TV's (buggy) will apply HDR to non HDR sometimes I guess, messing the colors up badly.

But so umm, why isn't there an HDR dash?

Last edited:
So I’ve been playing around with my Pro and Netflix. And it’s broken.

I usually watch Netflix of my UHD player so no problem.

But when HDR was enabled on Netflix I wanted to check it out and basically what happens is that the whole app starts in HDR mode - which on my and most other TVs triggers HDR mode. But on the Pro, Netflix will play everything with an HDR signal, so even SDR content will be sent as HDR to the TV and needless to say it looks completely wrong.

Tried closing and starting the app again, this is just the way it is.

So if you want to watch HDR content on Netflix on your Pro, great. Anything else looks completely wrong.

Yay Netflix and Sony!!

I still am at a loss as to why anybody would want to use a signal and app from a different device rather than using the app native to their set. Especially when that app works and the other doesn't.

Xbox Live notifications. Screw Android & SmartTVs.

Tommy McClain
On a more serious note, my takeaway so far on HDR & 4K is that console companies are the ones really pushing the content & support. And as such they are the ones that are making the biggest effort in app support. Native TV apps are basically a check mark feature for most TV companies & generally they're not generally that good. They probably expect most users to get their content from more capable devices like game consoles, Ultra HD Blu-ray players & maybe even cable & satellite receivers. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see native TV apps being the least used.

Tommy McClain

So I’ve been playing around with my Pro and Netflix. And it’s broken.

I usually watch Netflix of my UHD player so no problem.

But when HDR was enabled on Netflix I wanted to check it out and basically what happens is that the whole app starts in HDR mode - which on my and most other TVs triggers HDR mode. But on the Pro, Netflix will play everything with an HDR signal, so even SDR content will be sent as HDR to the TV and needless to say it looks completely wrong.

Tried closing and starting the app again, this is just the way it is.

So if you want to watch HDR content on Netflix on your Pro, great. Anything else looks completely wrong.

Yay Netflix and Sony!!

The Xbox One S does this too, FWIW.

On a more serious note, my takeaway so far on HDR & 4K is that console companies are the ones really pushing the content & support. And as such they are the ones that are making the biggest effort in app support. Native TV apps are basically a check mark feature for most TV companies & generally they're not generally that good. They probably expect most users to get their content from more capable devices like game consoles, Ultra HD Blu-ray players & maybe even cable & satellite receivers. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see native TV apps being the least used.

Tommy McClain

Not true. The apps for my TV's Roku-based OS are better in every way than those for my One S or PS4. And the Samsung and LG TV OS and apps are generally well-regarded. Android TV...has some issues. It has Kodi, though!

Not true. The apps for my TV's Roku-based OS are better in every way than those for my One S or PS4. And the Samsung and LG TV OS and apps are generally well-regarded. Android TV...has some issues. It has Kodi, though!

Yep, on older tvs that apps are garbage, but on newer tvs the apps are well rated and fast ... at least on decent tvs.

Again my takeaway from here. Don't really track feedback on avsforum.com or elsewhere. Roku must have gotten better in past years. My experience from years ago was it was lacking. It had a large selection of apps though.

Tommy McClain

Tommy McClain

Spoken like somebody without one and who hasn't done their research. The largest content creators of HDR & 4K content are Amazon and Netflix. The reality that the apps on the XB1 and PS4 aren't working properly while the native TV apps are is actual proof that game consoles, etc.. are not "more capable devices" than the TV's themselves.

And how about an article with some facts? More consumers have app capable consoles than Smart TV's at a rate of almost 2:1. But use of Smart TV apps is 27.2% while consoles is 30.9%. Native Smart TV app usage is second only to consoles which the other data demonstrates are used because people lack Smart TV apps.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...ve-the-way-for-new-ways-to-watch-content.html

Spoken like somebody without one and who hasn't done their research. The largest content creators of HDR & 4K content are Amazon and Netflix. The reality that the apps on the XB1 and PS4 aren't working properly while the native TV apps are is actual proof that game consoles, etc.. are not "more capable devices" than the TV's themselves.

And how about an article with some facts? More consumers have app capable consoles than Smart TV's at a rate of almost 2:1. But use of Smart TV apps is 27.2% while consoles is 30.9%. Native Smart TV app usage is second only to consoles which the other data demonstrates are used because people lack Smart TV apps.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...ve-the-way-for-new-ways-to-watch-content.html
True enough. Don't have one & not buying one either. Just reading here. Said as much before. So, if I'm reading Neilsen right most hours are spent using game consoles for media apps versus all other devices. Tells me console gamers want to stay in only one device versus other ways. Once the amount of SmartTVs get closer to consoles, maybe we will know if they prefer SmartTV apps versus console apps.

Tommy McClain

True enough. Don't have one & not buying one either. Just reading here. Said as much before. So, if I'm reading Neilsen right most hours are spent using game consoles for media apps versus all other devices. Tells me console gamers want to stay in only one device versus other ways. Once the amount of SmartTVs get closer to consoles, maybe we will know if they prefer SmartTV apps versus console apps.

Tommy McClain

I prefer my SmartTV.

- The LG WebOS is much faster than the XB1 interface
- Well laid out
- Apps (netflix and Prime for me mainly) give me native 4K+HDR and are more responsive than the XB1 versions
- Instant on. No loading time for the apps and there as soon as the TV comes on
- No second remote/controller/etc needed. There's even a special buttons for Netflix and Amazon on the remote!

I'm quite excited about the XB1X because it's a very powerful console and I can't wait to play 4k BluRay's on it. Outside of that, the SmartTV will still win out for streaming for the reasons mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back