Battlefield: Hardline (Its war no more :( )

The premise is just not a "Battlefield". EA is just relying on the name to sell more than it would naturally. Its a slap on the face of all the hard work by DICE all these years building up that brand and staying unique.Now BF is a generic shooter like everyone else.
Yes, I am a fan thats hurt at seeing it go out of DICE and into non-military territory.

But if it has large-scale combat, vehicles, destruction and all the things that make Battlefield what it is, why would there be a problem?

Yeah. As long as it plays the same, it should be considered the same game. That said, aesthetic still matters. If it was clowns versus mimes, would it feel the same?

It must be me getting old, but this kind and level of violence in urban setting is disturbing, and the love for it even more
now get out of my lawn

Never watch the TV news in Brazil then.... (probably applies to another couple latin american countries too)

On topic, how is crime fighting a battlefield? The scope is just too small. Gunfights involve a few armed baddies being surrounding by hundreds of police (if the movies are anything to go by). The inly time I can think of an actual sort of battlefield is some kind of cult siege, and even that isn't a battlefield but a, well, siege. I don't see how one can connect a vast expanse of war, whether an open field or jungle combat or street fighting, with cops and robbers. It's going to require a ridiculous portrayal of organised crime. Might as well just make Battlefield:Syndicate and excuse it as futuristic private factions.

Ever heard of the Urban battleground? Cops trying to reclaim the streets from the gangs back in the 70's and 80's who basically ran things in many parts of many cities.

It seems a bit incongruous nowadays, but it doesn't seem so out of place having been through the crime filled 70's and the recovering 80's. And as mentioned, some of the 3rd world countries still suffer things like this where some crime lords hold more power than the city police.

All that aside, it still seems inappropriate for the Battlefield series. If I was heavily invested in it, I would be royally PO'd at the change in thematic direction.

Regards,
SB

A Battlefield game set in a domestic law enforcement setting would be the ultimate satire of the burgeoning paramilitary element of law enforcement, merging the worship of military hardware and unaccountability with the ludicrously out of place domesticity it finds itself is placed in.

Imagine the player is put into a SWATing scenario, or your local city's drug task force has amped itself up to take down a drug dealer's stash house based on an anonymous tip that got the house numbers reversed.
You could find yourself bursting into a living room through the wall you took out with a breaching charge, having lobbed a flashbang, and your finger on the trigger of a tricked-out MP5 and a collapsible laser dot scope centered on the forehead of a five year old stuffing his face with Oreos.

Or maybe the dad's a returned vet from an actual foreign war (BF tie-in), and because you didn't announce who you were he's gone for his gun and now the actual soldier has to be taken down by the pretend ones. The game should pop up a cheevo titled "Castle Doctrine" when you and your teammates shoot him seventeen times.

Going by parts of the trailer, the game could explore what law enforcement purpose a character would give for equipping a claymore, or explore the moral ramifications for a playthrough where the police officer sets up a sniper nest and liberates the brain pans of a half dozen of his fellow citizens who were standing around a pot stash ("Head Shop" trophy).

It would require deft handling so as to not give the impression that it's just glorifying a seek and destroy mission of ethnic minority citizens of the United States or the urban underclass--instead of some safely foreign terrorist group with a generic islamish name, or amalgamated military composed of all the armies of South America or something, a conveniently rogue foreign general, or a futuristic PMC. There should be a chapter devoted to why your team had to kill the drug dealers with a Barret sniper rifle when you've always had them surrounded, know where they live, go out to eat, sleep, play with their kids on the playground, and had no pressing deadline where the world would end if you didn't stop them right now.
And you can explain why you levolutioned the town's water tower down onto the high school.

It would have to be both outrageous and yet grounded in the human and legal realities of a complex and gray morality play.
The jingoistic and yet safe power fantasy formula of big-league shooters made me skeptical that bringing the Battlefield to the local mall and all those neighborhoods we haven't gentrified yet could be handled in a manner that wouldn't be interpreted as being absurd.
The game would need to keep to something more realistic.

This is the legacy EA wants to draw from.

I think we're in good hands.

A Battlefield game set in a domestic law enforcement setting would be the ultimate satire of the burgeoning paramilitary element of law enforcement, merging the worship of military hardware and unaccountability with the ludicrously out of place domesticity it finds itself is placed in.

Imagine the player is put into a SWATing scenario, or your local city's drug task force has amped itself up to take down a drug dealer's stash house based on an anonymous tip that got the house numbers reversed.
You could find yourself bursting into a living room through the wall you took out with a breaching charge, having lobbed a flashbang, and your finger on the trigger of a tricked-out MP5 and a collapsible laser dot scope centered on the forehead of a five year old stuffing his face with Oreos.

Or maybe the dad's a returned vet from an actual foreign war (BF tie-in), and because you didn't announce who you were he's gone for his gun and now the actual soldier has to be taken down by the pretend ones. The game should pop up a cheevo titled "Castle Doctrine" when you and your teammates shoot him seventeen times.

Going by parts of the trailer, the game could explore what law enforcement purpose a character would give for equipping a claymore, or explore the moral ramifications for a playthrough where the police officer sets up a sniper nest and liberates the brain pans of a half dozen of his fellow citizens who were standing around a pot stash ("Head Shop" trophy).

It would require deft handling so as to not give the impression that it's just glorifying a seek and destroy mission of ethnic minority citizens of the United States or the urban underclass--instead of some safely foreign terrorist group with a generic islamish name, or amalgamated military composed of all the armies of South America or something, a conveniently rogue foreign general, or a futuristic PMC. There should be a chapter devoted to why your team had to kill the drug dealers with a Barret sniper rifle when you've always had them surrounded, know where they live, go out to eat, sleep, play with their kids on the playground, and had no pressing deadline where the world would end if you didn't stop them right now.
And you can explain why you levolutioned the town's water tower down onto the high school.

It would have to be both outrageous and yet grounded in the human and legal realities of a complex and gray morality play.
The jingoistic and yet safe power fantasy formula of big-league shooters made me skeptical that bringing the Battlefield to the local mall and all those neighborhoods we haven't gentrified yet could be handled in a manner that wouldn't be interpreted as being absurd.
The game would need to keep to something more realistic.

This is the legacy EA wants to draw from.

I think we're in good hands.

That would be AWESOME.
Also, it will not happen.

Battlefield needs to go all "futuristic space shit" to get me back. I'm tired of bullets and missiles. I want frikin laser beams.

And not broken, of course.

Back