Battlefield Bad Company new trailer

2dvtnwx.jpg

WOW! That looks really really good.
whoah is that real time?:oops:

Yep, the shadowing, fire, textures look great. Hopefully the animation in the game compares to this scene.

It does look awesome, and the destroyable assets is a dream come true for me. It is one of the few next gen items I have been waiting for (one of the others is more dynamic/responsive animation). A couple rough shadow edges, but outside of that everything else looks very, very clean. I was shocked hearing this was running on an Xbox 360. Wow, great job repi/DICE.

i watched the streaming version of the video and I must say this looks to me almost as good as a "certain" CGI target render! (DONT NEG REP MEEEE :p )

Unbelievable facial expressions, destructible enviroments and texture detail(the detail on the wall's texture is oustanding almost real)

Is that how the game's going to look for real during gameplay? :oops:

i watched the streaming version of the video and I must say this looks to me almost as good as a "certain" CGI target render! (DONT NEG REP MEEEE :p )

Unbelievable facial expressions, destructible enviroments and texture detail(the detail on the wall's texture is oustanding almost real)
Agree, we're getting closer to target renders..cause we're much better at lighting thanks fot programmable hw.
What we really lack is some serious antialiasing..

What struck me on a technical level is the material fidelity. Standard texturing ought to render that a fuzzy mess. The scenery is so-so. Didn't see much of the destruction in action as the movie cuts out on my comp after the second grenade, and the smoke occludes and destruction.

The humour was a very nice touch too ;)

Yes that looks really good. Now we can hope that games at the end of the life cycle of ps3 and Xbox360 may be near the level of that killzone trailer technicaly. Maybe not with the same details, but with tricks which would make the games look as good.

I looked at this like six times before I noticed the very impressive DOF implementation. Nice!

Yeah, the DOF is very nice and softens a lot of the edges (some of the stills seem to have no or little MSAA, so the DOF helps with the edge aliasing).

I agree with Shifty that the material fidelity is amazing and really stands out. The resolution and filtering, as well as artistic quality, are outstanding.

As for the render target and unnamed CGI talk, the video isn't even close IMO. Artistically BF:BD kicks its arse 6 ways to Sunday. Both in regards to assets as well as camera work. But here are some glaring issues I saw:

0:15 Far back building has some popping and shimmering which DOF is helping hide
0:17 Stairs "pop-in" through the hole in the wall
0:19 Note the roofs shadow on the wall has significant aliasing and edge crawls
0:30 Some seeming/breaks on the character mesh in the strap
0:44 Right shoulder of the hispanic trooper shows another large break

And that is just rewatching the first 45 seconds really quick and picking out the things that glaringly stick out (along with some low poly/hard edged assets).

I mean this with no slight intended toward DICE and repi--BF:BD is one of, if not best, in-engine demo I have seen. The use/quality of technology and the quality of the art are amazing and this game absolutely stands out as some of the best examples of graphical excellence we have seen on the consoles. IMO BF:BD is ahead of what we saw in MGS4 and Halo 3, which I thought very highly of both in the form shown. The former having a killer intro at TGS06 and the later's E3 2006 trailer made me think it may be asset based CGI. The character models are great, especially animations, and their eyes really have a great look for their art direction. The shadowing, lighting, and particles are also really good by game standards and the fideltiy of the textures is awesome overall. Overall the world screams "Quality! Detail!" And when you factor in you can actually destroy all the pretty asssets... wow. It isn't just a looker, but interactive?! Awesome!

But in regards to the fine render details it is pretty far from CGI. The art is excellent, the quality of assets is excellent, so in some ways BF:BD is graphically much, much more pleasing. And some of the rough edges of real time rendering are hidden by their excellent use of techniques like DOF that hides some of the rough edges nicely.

I can see where people like the art better than the CGI, likewise the asset quality. But what makes CGI a "CGI" IMO is neither of these (as a CGI or game are completely variable at these points), but specifically the render quality/fidelity is what differentiates a CGI from Realtime.

I'm very pleased what I'm seeing, I wonder what sort of drop in quality we can expect going from in engine cutscene to real gameplay? In Gears the difference is very easily noticeable, some of the cutscenes in that game were breathtaking, I'd put this footage at about the same level or very close anyway.

The topic, folks, is: Battlefield Bad Company new trailer

Let's discuss Battlefield Bad Company and leave this talk about offline CGI out of this thread, if only by respect for Repi and his co-workers' work.

Just finished watching the video and I think it's amazing. The most impressive parts are skin and cloth fabric. Especially for the cloth material, I know in general the texture will become a mess at such detailed level. So repi, did you use procedural texture on the cloth? And how did you handle the texture LOD? I'm just curious. Also, would you plan to add anti-alias to the final product? I think the graphics will be perfect if you add AA.

Damn that's some really impressive engine. The visuals are stunning :oops:
Didn't think we could reach that quality on this gen...( and above all on 360 )
My x1950pro would never be able to handle such quality ... Still not planned on pc right ?

Damn that's some really impressive engine. The visuals are stunning :oops:
Didn't think we could reach that quality on this gen...( and above all on 360 )
My x1950pro would never be able to handle such quality ... Still not planned on pc right ?

I don't see what not. It may be constrained on memory bandwidth but it should have more than enough muscle in other areas.

Perhaps remove the AA and drop the resolution a little and with equal quality coding I would be suprised if the pro couldn't handle this. Bare in mind it will be running on RSX aswell.

u think if the game came out with those graphics a system with an x1950 pro would be able to play it smoothly without lowering the graphics considerably?

u think if the game came out with those graphics a system with an x1950 pro would be able to play it smoothly without lowering the graphics considerably?

Why wouldn't it?

Aside from memory bandwidth, in what way is an X1950Pro weaker than Xenos? I think you will find that on paper its actually stronger in almost every area and im yet to see a convincing argument that Xenos has any magic dust which makes its paper specs more effective than they appear to be compared to the R5xx series.

Certainly the bandwidth should be accounted for which is why I said you should remove the AA and possible drop the res (maybe 1024x768).

Obviously the game would need to be well coded on the PC though. None of the this NN2 and Gothic 3 rubbish.

Back