Battlefield 4 official discussion/thread. [PS4,XO,PS3,X360]

720/60p is better than 1080/30p.

As long there's very effective AA.

That is certainly not true. It depends on the game. BF has large scale battlefields: try to long distance snipe someone. Try to long distance tank shot someone. You need the spatial resolution in this case, you need the extra detail.

BF also has close corridor fighting. Try to get your bearings in a busy, crowded battlezone surrounded by enemies...you need temporal resolution in that case.

BF has every different scenario. They need to make a compromise. 720p with decent AA is good enough for everyone except the sort of people who are so good and dedicated, they ought to be playing on PC at 2560x1440 16xMSAA.

That is certainly not true. It depends on the game. BF has large scale battlefields: try to long distance snipe someone. Try to long distance tank shot someone. You need the spatial resolution in this case, you need the extra detail.

Put a scope on your gun.

At typical viewing distance and TV size it's a slightly softer image. I think 60fps is worth the trade off, but not for everyone.

8mKzueY.png

Tepid impressions of PS4 ver from IGN

This week at Gamescom, however, I had an opportunity to play Battlefield 4 on a PlayStation 4 development system, and the resulting experience has me worried.

From the moment I sat down, I was surprisingly underwhelmed by the visuals. Instead of the crisp, detailed textures I've encountered this week on the PC version or other next-gen shooter titles, Battlefield 4 on PS4 looked soft and muddled. Wall textures looked half-finished, lacking some of the smaller material nuances or 3D variation. Environmental destruction was more extensive than Battlefield 3 and explosions would send larger chunks of buildings into the air, but once again, the particles looked dull. Weapon models looked great at the hip, but as soon as I raised them to look down the iron sights or scopes, imperfections became apparent.

Another contributing factor was resolution. While EA and DICE have not confirmed what resolution the game will run at on next-gen consoles, for the purposes of this demo, it was running at a resolution higher than 720p, but not 1080p. Though the difference between the two formats may not be recognizable to more casual players, after spending the week checking out games running natively at 1080p, it was readily apparent to me.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/23/gamescom-battlefield-4s-graphics-lacking-on-ps4

It sounds like they didn't get the news of BF4 running on 720p or higher natively (1080p upscaled). So they're assuming the game looks worse due to of a lack of information, or outright misinformation due to DICE displaying the PC version first.

If Battlefield is in that state on the PS4. Does that mean that the devs are further along in development on the x1 version? I ask this because the raging sea trailer shown at E3 looked amazing.

They were running on a PC.

Also, does anybody know what in the hell those 'blue lasers' are in the trailers? I've seen them a few times- and unless they're blue tracers (which I admit is possible, but I've never seen nor heard of them) they look just like... I dunno, a plasma weapon.

If Battlefield is in that state on the PS4. Does that mean that the devs are further along in development on the x1 version? I ask this because the raging sea trailer shown at E3 looked amazing.
Uh, no. IGN is comparing the PC version (running crossfired 7970s) with the PS4 version, where the PC version is probably the lead platform. Plus do we even know if the Xbox trailers were even being run on Xbox One hardware? The gameplay shown at E3 was running on PC.

And isn't the PS4 version the only console version playable on the floor? Take that as you will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day one patch incoming !

Poor devs. Let's just get all the launch titles out of the way, and then we talk again. :p

So, when he says false, does he mean the rumour that it's running at 720p or not? Which is false, the statement that it's running higher than 720p on the devkit, or the initial rumour that it's 720p/60? I assume he means the rumour that it's 720p/60. Either way, I'd buy the game. I don't really care. I'm happy that's it's 60Hz.

So, when he says false, does he mean the rumour that it's running at 720p or not? Which is false, the statement that it's running higher than 720p on the devkit, or the initial rumour that it's 720p/60? I assume he means the rumour that it's 720p/60. Either way, I'd buy the game. I don't really care. I'm happy that's it's 60Hz.
I think he's saying 720p is false, using the updated tweet as confirmation that it's running at higher than 720p in the ps4 dev environment.

I dare say the last thing DICE need to worry about is running a social-network PR battle. They've got other things to worry about like, ya know, writing the game. ;)

It sounds like they didn't get the news of BF4 running on 720p or higher natively (1080p upscaled). So they're assuming the game looks worse due to of a lack of information, or outright misinformation due to DICE displaying the PC version first.

I have this gut feeling that the PS4 and XB1 BF4 code are far behind in development. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual game at GameCom are actual PC wares, just running at lower IQ settings, with PS4 remotes. Don't believe me!?

Here are some recent developments from other 3rd party developers at GameCom, from overheating to crashes.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Some-PS4-GamesCom-Demos-Were-Running-Windows-7-PCs-58529.html

Some PS4 GamesCom Demos Were Running On Windows 7 PCs

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/t...ked_30fps_with_ps4_and_xbox_one_the_crew.html

"We've never been at 60 frames per second," Gerighty told us during a gameplay presentation this morning. "We've always been aiming for 30 frames per second locked. Today, unfortunately certain PCs have been overheating, so we're having frame rate drops. It's a hardware issue, not a software issue.

I'm sure somebody "confirmed" this to be 1080p on consoles. I remember commenting on it after it was initially said to be 720/60p a while back.

I can find nothing. I think it was at e3.

I'm sure somebody "confirmed" this to be 1080p on consoles. I remember commenting on it after it was initially said to be 720/60p a while back.

I can find nothing. I think it was at e3.

http://dualpixels.com/2013/02/26/ea-teases-battlefield-4-for-ps4-next-gen-8-10x-more-powerful/

"Rajat Taneja, EA CTO, seemed very enthusiastic about Battlefield 4 saying that it is indeed “stunning”; he then follows up with an implication that PS4′s power is aiding the creative development of the title. The title runs in 1080p and 60FPS. “The imagination of the developers along with that power”; Rajat Taneja also sees the next generation of gaming consoles being 8-10x more powerful than this one we’re currently in.

I'm misremembering a DF article: Hands-on with Xbox One.

1080p at 60FPS is being targeted on Xbox One, and also 64 players in multiplayer - both of which set it apart from previous console versions. When pressed, the Microsoft reps admitted it's running from a debug environment designed to the console's specs.

Back