Batman Arkham Knight - with x86/GCN consoles, how come we're still getting terrible ports?

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
In that scenario you're as likely as end up with a reputation for the guy who can't deliver. This is the problem of a lone person working with a system, the single person can't control the narrative. If you speak out to correct it, you gain a reputation as somebody who is indiscreet or can't keep his mouth shut.

Meh. Maybe, maybe not. I believe there is a job out there for everyone. Hell, we've let people go who was horrible at programming. Or people who we have interviewed and couldn't tell you the difference between a vector and a normal. Several cases where they still got hired somewhere.

I refuse to let fear of not finding a job affect my work ethics.

Rocksteady has released a list of things they are working on in an attempt to get Batman: Arkham Knight to a playable state. Check them after the break.

Below is the list of the key areas where we are dedicating our resources to improve the experience for our loyal fans:

• Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu
  • Fix for low resolution texture bug
  • Improve overall performance and framerate hitches
  • Add more options to the graphics settings menu
  • Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches
  • Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptop
  • Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage
  • NVIDIA SLI bug fixes
  • Enabling AMD Crossfire
  • NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers
While we work on improving performance, we will also continue to make interim patches available to address issues for those still playing the game on PC. The first patch is being released now and the updates include:

• Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game
  • Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further
  • Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client
  • Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu
We would like to thank our fans for their patience and invaluable feedback. We will continue to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

Warner Bros. and Rocksteady Studios have released the first patch (v1.1) for the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight!

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/rocksteady_talks_about_fixes_batman_arkham_knight.html

Yep, game is definitely smoother for me though it's far from perfect yet. I played another hour or so yesterday without too much of a problem, aside from one CTD on startup after changing some gameworks settings and reloading the game.

They are certainly on the right track here. The missing effects from the console version have already been re-implemented so the PC version can at least now claim to be the best looking version even if it does still run like crap. If they manage to sort the performance issues out, rmove the 30fps cap, and increase the graphics options as promised then they may be on to a winner. Although I don't plan on getting this game, I'm looking forward to seeing what the next patch brings.

Translated: Give us just a little more time to finish the product you already paid for. Thanks!
But at least they are fixing it! All gamers deserve the chance to play this game. I've had a blast with it so far!

I an waiting for a significant discount. Although I'll buy it for PS4 one day, I don't want to fully support devs that release a completely broken product on another major platform such as PC.

Yea, I haven't ran into any big problems yet since I'm gaming in 4k. But I would like to see more FX in the menu. Like CA, Anisropic filtering, etc..

Did we talk about this story yet, "Warner Brothers knew about problems with Arkham Knight for months"?

"One source, a quality assurance tester who is reported to have worked on the game for years, spoke to Kotaku under the condition of anonymity, saying "I will say that it's pretty rich for WB to act like they had no idea the game was in such a horrible state. It's been like this for months and all the problems we see now were the exact same, unchanged, almost a year ago.""

BTW-I couldn't find the quote button, sorry.

Did we talk about this story yet, "Warner Brothers knew about problems with Arkham Knight for months"?

"One source, a quality assurance tester who is reported to have worked on the game for years, spoke to Kotaku under the condition of anonymity, saying "I will say that it's pretty rich for WB to act like they had no idea the game was in such a horrible state. It's been like this for months and all the problems we see now were the exact same, unchanged, almost a year ago.""

BTW-I couldn't find the quote button, sorry.

I fail to believe they had any QA tester working on it for months, let alone years.

Ehhhhhhhh, QAs are regular sub-teams of game/engine teams.
Yep The Creative Assembly has its own QA dept, something like 20 people testing the game during dev at all time, very useful.
Note that many studios don't have that and get the publisher to do it at the end, which isn't nearly as useful.

Giant Bombcast mentioned that when they saw the game much earlier, it was so bad that the presentation had to be stopped. There was probably an interesting battle of will against giving PC owners their version day and date and wanting to get out a good port. Giant Bomb said they thought Steam's new return policy seems tailor made to help prevent such situations in the future ...

Giant Bombcast mentioned that when they saw the game much earlier, it was so bad that the presentation had to be stopped. There was probably an interesting battle of will against giving PC owners their version day and date and wanting to get out a good port. Giant Bomb said they thought Steam's new return policy seems tailor made to help prevent such situations in the future ...

And now we see the true value (and vision) of Steams return policy.

Back