Bardbarian: Now on iOS!

Really hard to make any decent money in the mobile space right now, unless you're offering some F2P garbage.
Speaking of making money, how important is buying the in-app DLC to your ability to progress in the game...? :devilish:

(Wicked art posters, btw. Bought Year Walk from the iOS app store couple days ago and saw Bardbarian featured pretty prominently still, so good on you guys!)

Not at all :)
So out of curiosity, what does the axe do then, just make the game easier? I couldn't see any explanation in the app store.

But you will be forced to watch video ads every once in a while. If that bugs you, then you can give us a few bucks :)
It's a paid app...that still has ads in it even though you pay money for it? Yeah, that would seriously bug me actually. Not so I'd give you more money, I'd just delete your app. :p Or am I misinterpreting you?

It's a paid app...that still has ads in it even though you pay money for it? Yeah, that would seriously bug me actually. Not so I'd give you more money, I'd just delete your app. :p Or am I misinterpreting you?
There are ads that can be removed for a fee. I think that's a fair system.

As for the game, I've played it a bit and it's a good quality title, but it's very much a mobile game and they disagree with me, so it's not something I'll be playing. If you want an honest critique, Scooby, I'll be happy to give it, as just my personal opinion, but I also recognise I'm not the intended audience so won't volunteer opinion unless requested. What I like and dislike is fairly irrelevant to the genre!

I also presume you have a network of indie devs or friends or something to secure lots of high early ratings? With 1-5 downloads on Android, you had something like 30 5* reviews! Is that important to getting listed well in search results early? Did you use a promotional firm to try and get early visibility?

If you want an honest critique, Scooby, I'll be happy to give it, as just my personal opinion, but I also recognise I'm not the intended audience so won't volunteer opinion unless requested. What I like and dislike is fairly irrelevant to the genre!

Go for it :D I have pretty tough skin. It's coming to Steam in just 2 weeks so now is the time. I'd be happy to give you the PC build if you wanna play with a controller (100x better).

I also presume you have a network of indie devs or friends or something to secure lots of high early ratings? With 1-5 downloads on Android, you had something like 30 5* reviews! Is that important to getting listed well in search results early? Did you use a promotional firm to try and get early visibility?

We do our best to cultivate some sort of presence in the game dev community, and there's always family and friends, but most of these ratings are organic. The avg is holding up alright:
Image%202014-03-17%20at%207.57.36%20PM.png

That's based on 1600 installs or so. Which is not very many. We didn't use any promotional services, but maybe we should've... :(

As for what is needed to get to the top of Android charts, that is still a nut I'm trying to crack! For the most part, Google is the gatekeeper, they need to feature you and include you in games bundles. But I'm pretty sure a lot of others are using paid-ratings services to game the system.

So out of curiosity, what does the axe do then, just make the game easier? I couldn't see any explanation in the app store.

Sorry, there's 2 different versions. The Google Play version is Free w/ Ads, the iOS version is Paid w/ No Ads, both include optional IAPs. There's also a 3rd version, for Steam/Amazon which has neither IAPs or Ads.

The golden axe is an XP doubler, so it doubles the rate at which you can purchase upgrades, but since the game is heavily skill-based, it's still pretty tough to beat no matter how much gold you have.

Okay, having played it a bit more to give a fair assessment, and then playing a bit more because it's quite fun, I bought the golden axe as I felt I ought to pay something toward my entertainment. ;)

The main structure of the game is fight, die, upgrade, retry, eventually upgrading enough to pass one checkpoint and get to the next, where one is likely to die again until upgraded. That structure isn't itself bad, but I'm very sceptical of such in mobile games when there's an option to buy gold (upgrade) because I anticipate the game balance to favour parting with real cash to get anywhere. After playing for a bit and finding that it's perfectly possible and reasonable to upgrade via in-game winnings, especially with the golden axe, the mobile-ness PayToWin mechanic clearly isn't an issue.

As with all these games, the major long-term interest comes from unlocking new units. Unit variation is a bit lacking IMO. The healers, for example, are nigh useless, taking up an valuable combatant slot and killing themselves when they heal someone. As units can be spawned at highest level with town upgrades, keeping them alive is unimportant, so the heeler is redundant. Once the wizard is unlocked, all other units become redundant until maybe some of the later/more expensive ones. Long range + interrupt + knockback means constant strafing runs kill all with little retaliation. I've found no need to mix-and-match units and apply tactics.

The mechincs themselves are fairly classic arcade, which is a Good Thing in this age of single press games, mostly about dodging bullets. There are a couple of strategies to experiment with, like 6 top-level Engineers leaving turrets at the spawn points (spawn killing FTW!). For a little time filler, it's pleasantly entertaining. The virtual thumbstick is a good idea, although adapting to it took time. I guess that's an issue with touch screen thumbsticks. The stick appearing whever you press is good as it makes corrections for drift very easy (replace thumb!).

Production values are sweet, with great little characters. Audio bugs me! Too noisy. But when I turn off the BG music, that also disables summoning riffs which is a little odd, seeing the Bard playing silent guitar. I suggest moving the guitar riffs to the Audio FX channel and muting music when they play.

Gotta go to work, but I keep putting off my post and feel I ought to say something! It's a good game that seems to be reasonable popular - I hope it pays off for you.

Back