Average Joe's criteria when buying a console

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that what will make a console win or lose in the casual market is:

1- Price (percepted value from a HW/SW, I even know those who say that will buy the console that it is easier to mod);
2- Marketing (which include Mags(even those like Time)/sites/friends recomendations or even movies like Halo);
3- Cool factor ( from gameplay inovation to cool features like opera);
4- Know or played games like GTA or the above example (althought this may not very important for a new gamer).

Is it really cool factor that plays into someone's decision to purchase a console? I'd say it's more to do with peer pressure, to a certain extent. When I was in junior high I played SNES. I was enamored with Starfox and played it constantly. I had switched schools and was trying to fit in with a new group of friend, who themselves were not all that popular, and I got crap all the time for playing Nintendo. I guess Sega was just cooler back then.

I don't think whether you'll look cool is a factor (the girls aren't going to want to be your friend any more once you have a PS3) as whether or not you'll look uncool (to other gamers).

OtakingGX said:
Is it really cool factor that plays into someone's decision to purchase a console? I'd say it's more to do with peer pressure, to a certain extent.

"Cool" depends on the people involved, so it's just the same more or less.

.Melchiah. said:
I doubt they'd be any more expensive than Xbox2 games, and I haven't seen any kind of news or announcement that PS3 games would cost more.

http://news.spong.com/article/10311

"I don't think consumers expect software pricing to suddenly double," he continued. "So, the quick answer is that we want to make it as affordable as possible, knowing that there is a set consumer expectation for what software has cost for the past twelve years. That's kind of the best answer I can give you. So, if it becomes a bit higher than $59, don't ding me, but, again, I don't expect it to be $100."

Certainly sounds like Hirari expects the PS3 games to be more than $59. Another softening up of the consumer market so the media doesn't go nuts. They spent a year prior to announcement telling us how expensive the PS3 was going to be (with most people refusing to believe it would cost more than $299, let alone more than $399..), and now they're starting to do the same with the actual games.

At least, that's how I read it.

Even pricier games, that is really bad.

BTW for cool I didnt mean "popular" just the new "revolutionary" thing that because of that is good enought for many want.

_xxx_ said:
"Cool" depends on the people involved, so it's just the same more or less.

All that matters is which system is affordable, has the games you want to play on it and has the games your friends want to play on it.

It's that simple.

I consider Average Joe to be the stereotypical NA male. Use older South Park characters, if you will. They will play an occassional RPG, but they pretty much play fighting games, shooters, racing games, and sports games.

The PS2 came out first last year, was just as affordable as the Xbox (when it released) and satisified all of their needs. So they purchased the PS2, they had little need to purchase an Xbox even with it's improved graphics, unless they wanted racing or shooting exclusives.

This year, the 360 comes out first, is far more affordable than the PS3, and satisifies all their needs. Even those who can't currrently afford a 360, will be able to afford one before they can afford a PS3 and in the meantime, they will have friends who have already purchased a 360.

Now, if the Wii can satisfy all their needs, it might surpass the 360 even with the 360's early launch (because its lower price point can spur quicker adoption). But that remains to be seen, because despite what certain people continue to insist, Nintendos products have simply not excelled at offering shooters, racing games, fighting games and sports games.

Now, if you consider Joe Gamer to put a larger emphasis on RPGs, or Party Games, or Interactive peripherals like Dance Dance Revolution, or whatever.. then obviously this doesn't hold true.

But then you are referring to a Joe Gamer that as far as I can tell is in the very slim minority in NA. (Which then makes him not a Joe Gamer)

_xxx_ said:
I'd like to add "probably the best marketing" and "superb ads" for the PS3. I have yet to see a decent ad/commercial for the XB360 on the TV here in Germania, while I still can remember some great ads from Sony from 2-3 years ago and they still keep coming. This could influence many potential buyers for sure.

Personally I've never seen a memorable videogame TV ad. I never get the big fuss over Sony's supposed great marketing in this respect. I have also not seen any good Microsoft TV commercials (in fact they're bad if you ask me) but people dont tend to chalk them up as great marketers.

I guess I remember thise "PS9" ads, but i thought they were stupid.

The whole problem is this obnoxious idea by the companies that they have to ignore their target, young male demographic that has made them billions of dollars in favor of constantly fruitlessly chasing the more "mainstream". So you get ethereal, pastel concept ads for 360 like some kind of apple product.

Anyway about the most effective 360 commercial I've seen is actually a Wal Mart commercial for 360 products. It showcases some people playing GRAW on a LCD in a few scenes. There is no trickery involved, no CGI, and the game looks flat out great. Too me showing real gameplay in a real scene is far more effective than a CG since I know the CG isnt real. Whereas an effective real scene that I know the machine is actually doing will impress me, and that is why the Wal Mart ad featuring Graw works, at least for me. And the funny thing is in the race to show unrealistic CGI perhaps the companies forgot the in game visuals are impressive enough themselves.

Johnny Awesome said:
The market is driven by casual gamers. These casual gamers care about what I would call "the value proposition". It's difficult to describe what that is, but I would say that the following add value in the mind of the consumer:

1. Number of games
2. Number of AAA exclusive franchises (FF, DQ, MGS, GT, Halo, GoW, Forza, Mario, Zelda)
3. Genre coverage (ie. PS3 lacks proven quality FPS, X360 lacks proven quality JRPG)
4. Unique gameplay (Wii controller, PS3 controller)
5. Media features (Blu-Ray, Media Xtender)
6. Non-exclusive franchise coverage (Madden, GTA, Fifa, Splinter Cell)
7. Lower price-point
8. Ownership by fellow gamers (High userbase)
9. Retailer/Rental support (Best Buy, Blockbuster)
10. Online features (Xbox Live, PS3 Online, Wii Online)
11. Good value storage options (Hard Drive, Memory Cards etc...)

I think this sums it up for casual gamers. :cool:

the other lists take into account too much information of the sort that folks like us pay attention to but casuals do not.

sonyps35 said:
Personally I've never seen a memorable videogame TV ad.

Anyway about the most effective 360 commercial I've seen is actually a Wal Mart commercial for 360 products. It showcases some people playing GRAW on a LCD in a few scenes. There is no trickery involved, no CGI, and the game looks flat out great. Too me showing real gameplay in a real scene is far more effective than a CG since I know the CG isnt real. Whereas an effective real scene that I know the machine is actually doing will impress me, and that is why the Wal Mart ad featuring Graw works, at least for me. And the funny thing is in the race to show unrealistic CGI perhaps the companies forgot the in game visuals are impressive enough themselves.

I remember the Halo 2 trailer as being very memorable, great sense of drama, didn't hurt that they drilled it into your head 20 times a day.

With regards to MS commercials, there's one running now in Canada that is really pretty good, it's a montage of Fight Night 3, Table Tennis and Tomb Raider, set to music, and it ends with a counter going up: 70+ games for you to enjoy.

Shows off the realtime graphics and lets people know there actually are quite a few games out already.

scooby_dooby said:
With regards to MS commercials, there's one running now in Canada that is really pretty good, it's a montage of Fight Night 3, Table Tennis and Tomb Raider, set to music, and it ends with a counter going up: 70+ games for you to enjoy.

Shows off the realtime graphics and lets people know there actually are quite a few games out already.

i personally find this one mediocre at best - it's an mtv-style mix of scenes/frames of contrasting visuals.

for a good blend-of-game-scenes commercial - there was a ninty one running last year - that one was a blast, especially that RE4 genado scene where they had imposed the narrator's voice over the genado's animation making the genado look like a narrator - really hilarious. i'd love to have the video of that commercial.

Last edited by a moderator:
darkblu said:
i personally find this one mediocre at best - it's an mtv-style mix of scenes/frames of contrasting visuals.

last I checked MTV seemed to be doing alright. I think it does what MS needs right now, displays the next gen GFX which are very impressive, and let people know there are many games available. Simple and to the point. This is the first MS add I've seen that actualy featured ingame graphics and it's about time.

RobertR1 said:
Price. Price. Price.
Followed by games.

I paid 600 US$ equivalent in norwegian currency for my PS2, and i though it was worth it(prices on game consoles is higher in norway, its "luxury" items, and price at start was insane), and its simple to sell it to that price, when the brand is something the people want.

kimg said:
I paid 600 US$ equivalent in norwegian currency for my PS2, and i though it was worth it(prices on game consoles is higher in norway, its "luxury" items, and price at start was insane), and its simple to sell it to that price, when the brand is something the people want.

Are you a "averange joe gamer", I doubt once you are here.

Anyway there will always be expetions.

RobertR1 said:
Price. Price. Price.
Followed by games.

History shows this not to be true. The average joe does not put price at the top of their list - or at least it's not an overriding concern. If it had such a priority, certain past consoles ought to have done a lot better than they did.

In truth, the criteria are going to differ from generation to generation. I think it's too early to say what will emerge as key criteria this time around. But I think some constants in the past have been games and perception/image.

kimg said:

Average Joe = not you. This is the same guy who is waiting for HDTV's to hit cheap prices before picking one up. Now, tell him to spend $600 just to play video games....

Titanio said:
History shows this not to be true. The average joe does not put price at the top of their list - or at least it's not an overriding concern. If it had such a priority, certain past consoles ought to have done a lot better than they did.

In truth, the criteria are going to differ from generation to generation. I think it's too early to say what will emerge as key criteria this time around. But I think some constants in the past have been games and perception/image.

A lot of people who I know bought PS2's waited until the price had dropped considerably that they were no long even a pricing concern. Look how well the PS2 is still selling and it's mainly due to being so cheap.

Titanio said:

I think they go hand in hand. People decide which console they want with the games, then they decide WHEN they will buy that console according to the price.

If the 2 consoles are similar enough that they share alot of the same content, or if both offer an equally appealing (to that consumer) game library then price will be a deciding factor.

Definately games are higher priority than price when a consumer chooses their console of choice, but price plays a huge role in when that consumer will actually jump on board.

RobertR1 said:
A lot of people who I know bought PS2's waited until the price had dropped considerably that they were no long even a pricing concern. Look how well the PS2 is still selling and it's mainly due to being so cheap.
But will PS3 ever hit the same price? I don't think it'll even come close. Most consoles seem to hit about 40% of their launch price by the time the company releases a successor. As seen with the Xbox, hard drives tend to not drop in price as fast as the other components in the system, so I get the feeling we'll see a $250-$300 PS3 when PS4 finally hits. That won't quite make it into the sweet spot for moving lots of machines while they're cheap.

RobertR1 said:

Of course, but their desire for the PS2 was stronger than something merely motivated by price. Cheaper alternatives existed long before the PS2 dropped price, but people waited for the PS2. So though price may have been an enabler (and thus, a criteria in the purchase of the system - which is a fair enough point from that perspective in hindsight!), it was not a determining factor in the choice of one system over the other.

I appreciate we may have been looking at this from two different ends though. Point blank, the purchase of a system that an 'average joe' knows it wants can be very much dependent on price, and when the price comes within their range - that certainly could be a primary issue. I was more looking at it from a "choice of system" POV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back