ATI Colossal Contest winner

ANova

Veteran
So yeah, I recieved an email claiming that I won an X800 of some type from this contest I forgot I had signed up to months ago.

Only it requires I sign an affidavit requesting my SS# (supposedly for customs) and it basically says they can use my personal information in any form of advertisement for eternity.

So, you guys think it's worth it? I don't particularly want to give out my SS# to anyone, official or not.

Is the contest run by ATI? If so, get the person's name, then call the publicly available ATI phone numbers (i.e. get one of the website, don't believe any phone# in the email) and ask to speak to that person. Particularly if you don't recall entering the contest. . .

Yeah, I was thinking it might be a phish. But my way gets around it, just in case it isn't. If it's a phish they won't give you a name.

I very much doubt they are going to do much with your name that you'd find all that objectionable. What is it you're concerned they might do? "G70 Suxors --ANova" ?? They want visible credit for giving away what they said they were going to give away.

ANova said:
Only it requires I sign an affidavit requesting my SS# (supposedly for customs)

US Customs mandates this. If there is any problem WRT tariffs due to misrepresenting the shipment they have no recourse to the shipping party if the are outside of the US and will make you liable. Standard procedure.

nelg said:
US Customs mandates this. If there is any problem WRT tariffs due to misrepresenting the shipment they have no recourse to the shipping party if the are outside of the US and will make you liable. Standard procedure.
What does "misrepresenting the shipment" entail?

My biggest concern is that they'll mishandle my social and some nefarious individual will get a hold of it.

This Contest is offered electronically via the Internet to all natural persons who have Internet access, and are residents of the United States or Canada, except the Province of Quebec. All Canadian winners must correctly answer a skill testing mathematical problem, if selected as a winner, in order to receive a prize.
Yeah... Better not bother the Americans with any of that mathematical skill testing stuff... :devilish:

Anyway: Congrats on winning, whether you accept the prize or not.

Yes, I realize that the rule is there to work around Canadian lottery laws, but that's not very a fun interpretation is it?

ANova said:
What does "misrepresenting the shipment" entail?

My biggest concern is that they'll mishandle my social and some nefarious individual will get a hold of it.

Whether it is exempt from duty under NAFTA. Shipments must have a classification code which specifies this among other things.

ANova said:
So yeah, I recieved an email claiming that I won an X800 of some type from this contest I forgot I had signed up to months ago.

Only it requires I sign an affidavit requesting my SS# (supposedly for customs) and it basically says they can use my personal information in any form of advertisement for eternity.

So, you guys think it's worth it? I don't particularly want to give out my SS# to anyone, official or not.

I agree with the above poster, get an extension number at ATI and call to confirm that you really won. As for the personal information being used for advertisement, I guess it depends what personal information. Make sure to read every very carefully. :)

Nite_Hawk

dont worry

Any time we ship anything from Canada to the States we need your SS number (not our law, its yours). Its impossible to ship anything into the States without the gov. knowing exactly where its going and who its for.

So dont worry its not a scam. I know this for a fact. In fact you can just call up ATI customer support and tell them you want to pay for the shipping yourself if you are paranoid about giving out your number.

Back