Yahoo Groups vs. MSN Groups vs. ????

Clashman

Regular
Hello,

I don't mean to create another pissing contest here. I just have an honest question and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I'm looking at starting up an discussion email list to have for other expats here in Tianjin, China. My problem is that, for what I want to use it for, neither yahoogroups nor MSN groups seem to have exactly what I want. So I was wondering if anyone knew of some other ones and could point me in the right direction.

One thing I really like about MSN groups is that online it is structured somewhat like a messageboard. You can even have multiple message boards per group, which is something you can't do for yahoo. However, the main reason I would want that is so people could subscribe to one message board and not the other, which doesn't appear to be possible. Even so, MSN has a presentation that is generally slicker than yahoo's, (or google's, for that matter), and if I was only basing it on that I would go with MSN. At the same time, MSN only allows you to sign people up through invitations, and even then it doesn't seem to be particularly user friendly.

What I'm looking for in a discussion group is the following:
Message-board-style online listing
Ability to have multiple message boards or discussion areas per discussion group
Ability to choose which message board you recieve email from
Ability to subscribe people directly.

Anyone have any suggestions on a web-based listserv system that can do all of that? Ideally, I'd like all 4, but if someone could even get me 3 outta 4 that would be pretty good, too.

Yeah, I realize that I could do that. However, it's a pain in the ass to get people on all the lists, much more so than if they were integrated into a single list. I can't believe that no-one thus far has actually thought of doing a better listserv system than what yahoo and MSN offer, because they're offerings really haven't changed substantially in at least half a decade.

Back