Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Hm, reviews are all over the place. Kinda wondering whether the game got the high scores it did from the likes of Gamespot or Polygon because it finally arrived at a place where it agrees with their neo-progressive, identity politics driven set of morals or because it's actually any good.

Videogamer slammed it and the editor who's reviewing it for our outlet said it felt even more like a soulless product of child labor than it did in the past.

Last edited:
Well the first review i have read ( french site ) who is not really critic in general about the games they review, have been quite critic this time ... Then as you said, review are all over the place.

On the bugs question, i really start to ask me if they should not change their engine... its crazy to see the same type of bugs on every release.

Hm, reviews are all over the place. Kinda wondering whether the game got the high scores it did from the likes of Gamespot or Polygon because it finally arrived at a place where it agrees with their neo-progressive, identity politics driven set of morals or because it's actually any good.

Videogamer slammed it and the editor who's reviewing it for our outlet said it felt even more like a soulless product of child labor than it did in the past.

The only way to tell is if you play the game unfortunately. Some people will bash the game simply because it's an Assassin's Creed game and it's cool to hate those nowadays, some others will praise it because one of the characters has boobs. I plan on buying it on PC mainly because i was one of the few who enjoyed Unity (played it at 60hz without many problems at release though so i was in the minority) and this seems just as interesting to me.

Well the first review i have read ( french site ) who is not really critic in general about the games they review, have been quite critic this time ... Then as you said, review are all over the place.
What I'm sensing from the reviews is that the game is fine, but it's yet another Assassin's Creed game that isn't doing anything new. In fact removing a lot of interior areas found in Unity is a bit of a draw back. I liked charging through Parisian buildings to lose pursuers or just to have a bit of a scrap before zipping up the stairs and leaping out of the window to the adjacent building.

I may pick this up in a few months when it's cheap but it's really not appealing to me other than exploring fictional historic London - which is where I live.

What I'm sensing from the reviews is that the game is fine, but it's yet another Assassin's Creed game that isn't doing anything new. In fact removing a lot of interior areas found in Unity is a bit of a draw back. I liked charging through Parisian buildings to lose pursuers or just to have a bit of a scrap before zipping up the stairs and leaping out of the window to the adjacent building.

I may pick this up in a few months when it's cheap but it's really not appealing to me other than exploring fictional historic London - which is where I live.

Im on the same boat, well i will look the comments of peoples playing it and see how it goes.

How much I hope they changed the gameplay and removed all those markers. I bought almost every console AC and finished them despite that I it is impossible for me to enjoy them. I am literally torturing myself just for the story
This is getting OT now but the HUD is customisable and you can select what shows up and what doesn't.
Although the game gets impossible to play without certain HUD elements like notifications during combat (to counter and break). The only HUD element that you cannot turn off are the button prompts for the rope launcher and the markers on the objectives/missions, it's a small yellow dot (for objectives) and green dot (for mission start) on the screen that tells you where your they are located.

Apart from this you can have a completely HUD free screen with nothing.

ZZiy8Lu.jpg

Last edited:
Although the game gets impossible to play without certain HUD elements like notifications during combat (to counter and break.)

Really!?
In AC 1 & 2 without HUD I had no problems because I just had to read animations to perform counters (same in Batman or any other game with deactivatable counter icons/prompts)
It's shame if you need to have icons/prompts to play it this time.

Still kudos to Ubi for always including HUD customization in AC games...for some idiotic reason they don't do it in other franchises.

Last edited:
Having spent just about the whole weekend with this thing, I can safely say that for myself, this is most definitely the most enjoyable AC experience I've had since Brotherhood. The city is a marvel (and the npc density is really a-okay), the characters are fun, mission designs are nice and varied, the carriages are a surprisingly cool addition too, and while not exactly perfect, the level of polish is much more in line with the likes of AC2 than AC Unity.

That said, don't expect any drastic gameplay changes. The core of the gameplay is the same as it was in AC Unity.

Last edited:

I'd say moving away from pre-baked tod (like Unity) settings to full tod was worth it.

Stuff about the PC version of Syndicate:
Some images i got from the PC version, runs at a solid 60 on my end. Settings: Everything maxed except shadows to High and AA is FXAA, HBAO+ Ultra is enabled and runs fine
http://abload.de/img/acs2015-11-1812-20-56x9ux9.jpg
http://abload.de/img/acs2015-11-1812-21-3373ugy.jpg
http://abload.de/img/acs2015-11-1812-30-4793uri.jpg
http://abload.de/img/acs2015-11-1812-21-09q9utw.jpg
http://abload.de/img/acs2015-11-1812-25-31hsusx.jpg
http://abload.de/img/acs2015-11-1812-25-38beubr.jpg
http://abload.de/img/acs2015-11-1812-25-59fzugl.jpg
http://abload.de/img/acs2015-11-1812-30-58zdufj.jpg

Only thing i did outside the game is i forced x16 AF through the Nvidia control panel. First impressions are that the game runs a lot better than Unity (frame pacing) and the movement feel more snappy. The game looks great in it's own right as well. Now i am going to wait till my Uplay version is unlocked to play the rest. One suggestion for those who play, or planning to play, the game is to turn down HUD elements to light through the menu and turn the map off as well.

Last edited:
Why are you posting PC screens in the console thread? Seriously, why!?!

Why are you posting PC screens in the console thread? Seriously, why!?!

Because there isn't a PC thread and i guess most people interested in the game would look in this thread, i can edit the post if you like :)

Or just create a thread a PC area? That's how threads get started. :-/

I'll eat crow for what i said few months ago. I am quite enjoying the game after playing it for a few hours. It's not great, it's not amazing but it's a good game and it is fun. I can only imagine what Ubisoft could do with a 2-3 year cycle for AC on the current gen, i am pretty confident they would be making GOTY contenders every 2 years or so with the way they improved from Unity to Syndicate in less than a year.

My neighbour has Syndicate for Xbox One and I played it for about 30 mins and enjoyed it but then I also genuinely enjoyed Unity. I do like the gangs and the batclaw so I'll definitely pick this up when I'm done with Fallout 4. I picked up Unity around January/February this year for about £20 so hopefully Syndicate will have dropped to a simlar price by about January/February next year.

I hate Unity. I loved it at the beginning and then hated it with a passion. The controls feel even worse than they did in the previous games and the AI is challenging not because it is well designed but because it is fucking stupid. That combined with sluggish controls makes the game boring.
The AI didnt make sense. Some times they see you minding your own business in the middle of the street and come towards you only to cause a fuss. Some times they attack without doing anything suspicious. Just walking by is cause for a ruckus quite often. And what I didnt understand was the "blue guys wont hurt you unless you hurt them and they hate the red guys". I might be fighting the red guys, and then the blue guys join against the red guys and ME at the same time! Also the controls are so stupid that my attacks often land on the blue guys because there is no clear targeting system.
Is syndicate the same?

Syndicate is essentially a polished version of Unity gameplay wise, with some changes to combat to make more challenging/fun. I am not sure you'll like it if you hated Unity with a passion but it is certainly better imo, and more responsive overall. Stealth is improved as well, it actually works now.

Back