Assassin's Creed: Origins [PC]

----
Watched a lot AC Origins gameplay. The Xbox One X version can look good but they should not make the same mistake as with Wildlands on the PlayStation 4 Pro where they select medium graphics settings to get a higher resolution. Rather use 1080p than mediocre textures/graphics settings and 1800p CBR because that would still look a lot better. What the benefit of 1800p to UHD CBR when the textures/shadows have medium quality? The resolution battle is annoying.

Last edited:
1440p, maxed out and with 120% resolution scaling (not mine)
http://abload.de/img/20171026205206lppzz.jpg
http://abload.de/img/20171026210241y0pz8.jpg
http://abload.de/img/20171026205602v3oyl.jpg
http://abload.de/img/20171026205713olpcv.jpg
http://abload.de/img/201710262059188xqkn.jpg
http://abload.de/img/201710262130322bohm.jpg
http://abload.de/img/2017102622383740oyh.jpg
http://abload.de/img/20171026225753zyqnq.jpg
_

For me it is not as important but the reviews are good so far: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/assassins-creed-origins?ref=hp

I like the fact that the combat system is finlly challenging. Before, fighting was just good looking but not fun to play.

German Magazin says:
"Assassin's Creed: Origins sets new standards for a PC implementation. The setting, options, comfort features and technical improvements should now be a mandatory search for all blockbuster game developers when it comes to PC porting."

My opinion: Is not that the case for years for Ubisoft games? The Division, Watch Dogs 2, For Honor, Ghost Recon Wildlands etc. One can even use Tobii Eye in some of these games.

EDIT:

This game has less HUD options in comparison to Wildlands or The Divison where each HUD element could have been changed individually.

Last edited:
Many details...
  • Senu flaps her wings to climb, and the way her feathers react realistically in the wind.
  • Dust and sand swirls and flows between legs of people and creatures realistically, mainly in the desert.
  • Bayek flicks his hands or wipes down his arms when leaving water.
  • In long grass/foliage, if you're walking through it, Bayek will run his hand over the top of it.
  • Diving from a height will have you take control of Bayek underwater. Jump in from a lower height and the camera stays on the surface as does Bayek.
  • The way the lighting turns slightly green on the water on the surface.
  • Water in general. Waves lap and have a physical presence on beaches, not just stop at the beach.
  • Algae, floating and interactive and realistic debris in the water. Sticks and dead reeds clump together on the surface where reeds are present on the shores.
  • Bayek will grab gaps in the stone when climbing buildings only where those lines and gaps exist.
  • Arrows move around in the quiver.
  • Bayek will limp a bit after falling from a height and taking damage.
  • Bayek breathes heavily if you stop after running for a while or climbing.
  • Also if you light someone's house on fire a random NPC will sometimes run to it screaming and start trying to kick sand on it to put it out
  • Leaving corpses within enemy territory can sometimes be found. When they do, they'll pick the body up and move it.
  • Flames and clothing piece move to the direction of an exit due to air flow in tombs, pyramids, etc.
  • Horses will stamp to a stop and shift their weight backwards after running instead of just slowing down.
  • When you have the map open, depending on where your cursor is placed on it, you hear different sounds. Hovering over the desert: Hear wind. Hovering over a city: Hear people, animal life, etc.
  • The map reflects the time of day. If the player looks at it at sunset or sunrise he will see long shadows across the map.
  • General clutter and construction of the cities and towns is...incredible. I feel like I'm missing 80% of the effort being made to build this incredibly detailed world, BUT, the immersion has never been so high at the same time in an AC game. Last time the world design felt like it had this much effort put in for me in a game was The Division, so props to Ubisoft on this. Just a small market could contain far more detail and small statues etc in it than most games put in to entire buildings.
  • Bayek flicks his hands or wipes down his arms when leaving water.
  • Dust and sand swirls and flows between legs of people and creatures realistically, mainly in the desert.
  • I personally LOVE the way the world generates in to view like a shockwave when you fast-travel or first load in.
Source:
  • After completing the "Hideout" side quest, someone decided to follow Chenzira, foolishly thinking that the child will just run endlessly around the map. The person was worng, he really went back home where he told his brother what happened.
  • Someone experienced the same with the quest where you have to find a legendary spear, and when you return to the blacksmith after completing the quest Bayek tells him what happened on the quest it was amazing.
  • If the character has a cloth or a helmet in front of his mouth, the sound output reacts to it.
  • If the character stops, the eagle comes and can be caressed.
  • There are also tons of audiocues, for example, when a sandstorm rages, Bayek worries about Senu. The sound design is outstanding.
  • Cobwebs burn off when you hit the torch, gore level has increased in general a bit.
  • Bayek leaves an oil trail in the water when he jumps in oiled.
  • Vultures fly around corpses in the desert.
  • Crocodiles move naturally in the water and attack boats.
  • Bayek is covered in blood after fighting. In general, the gore share has increased quite a bit.
  • In a sandstorm, Senu is unavailable, the HUD disappears, and Bayek and the NPCs react accordingly.
  • Virtually everything is flammable, the environment usually responds correctly to fire.
  • If the player throw a corpse into the water it turns red.
  • If the player is too long in the desert area Bayek sees mirages and hears whispering voices.
  • If the player leaves the horse it will look for an oatmeal if one is nearby.
  • The game world is more realistic than most RPGs. There are real goods traffic between the cities. The relationship between rural and urban population is very consistent. Practically all professions that were necessary at that time are present and displayed. The cities are built up realistically and clearly separated according to functional locations. Each village has its area of activity.

Last edited:
Well AFAICR Unity has a fixed ToD which allows a lot more freedom for lighting but this looks to be returning to dynamic ToD. The detail and lighting is still fairly impressive imo, at least at the start through the market area.

Talking about ToD and influence on lighting/shadows, a very interesting example how this becomes complex in simulating a perceived dynamic ToD is comparing Forza7 to Gran Turismo Sport, where it is not really a true/complete dynamic ToD solution.
Eurogamer/Digital Foundry looked at this comparing both and the different approaches perceived pros-cons: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-gran-turismo-sport-vs-forza-motorsport-7

Well this is rather depressing if it turns out to be completely true.
Not only has Ubisoft gone with Denuvo they thought they would also add VMProtect to this game, seems some are noticing massive CPU utilisation correlating to this.

It never has been proved either way what the overhead is for Denuvo (if there was zero then life would had been made easy to compare with/without by studio/publisher), but adding VMProtect on top of that seems to be a kick in the nuts to consumers.
The irony is a report was done in the EU showing that piracy is not as harmful as 1st thought, although that official EU report was buried until an MEP did an information request.
The more powerful a PC system becomes over the years the more a publisher or possibly a studio finds a way to not make efficient use of it, my way to cope with this is just use CDKeys or something like that to buy a game when it is much cheaper where publisher insists on doing this type of protection implementation.
Personally I am happily paying more and buying earlier (never preorder though) supporting games that do not go this route and are pretty clean of said protections (even including Denuvo because publishers should learn to remove it from games a month later as their excuse is to protect initial sales).

Last edited:
Dishonored 2 and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider use Denuvo and I've watched the CPU usage be fairly low in general with the games. I was surprised considering the engine is idTech5 based. I guess it's not megatexturing? The CPU cores actually tend to clock down while playing because the load is far from 100% most of the time. The only annoyance I've noticed is the long game startup time that often occurs (but not always) as I assume Denuvo does some kind of periodic verification of the 150MB (!) executable.

Last edited:
Dishonored 2 and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider use Denuvo and I've watched the CPU usage be fairly low in general with the games. I was surprised considering the engine is idTech5 based. I guess it's not megatexturing? The CPU cores actually tend to clock down while playing because the load is far from 100% most of the time. The only annoyance I've noticed is the long game startup time that often occurs (but not always) as I assume Denuvo does some kind of periodic verification of the 150MB (!) executable.
Denuvo would be a more subtle resource/overhead issue compared to VMProtect with its use (if fully proven) in Assassins Creed Origins, but Denuvo still is meant to work on the fly while playing the game and loading textures.
Would be interesting to know how Denuvo interacts if at all with post processing/Game Physics and similar.

Denuvo has no impact on performance. That's a myth. It was removed in DOOM by a patch and it made no difference. The developers of Rime said in their announcement of the Denuvo free version not a word that their release had something to do with a negative impact on the performance. After the removal of Denuvo in Rime I did not hear anything about a changed CPU limit.
Uplay is supposed to encrypt the exe too. How much performance that and VMProtect cost is unknown. At the moment there is no evidence for all these allegations.

Ubisoft can protect its property. Wolfenstein New Colossus was cracked several days before release. That should have caused a considerable damage.

Last edited:
Denuvo has no impact on performance. That's a myth. It was removed in DOOM by a patch and it made no difference. The developers of Rime said in their announcement of the Denuvo free version not a word that their release had something to do with a negative impact on the performance. After the removal of Denuvo in Rime I did not hear anything about a changed CPU limit.
Uplay is supposed to encrypt the exe too. How much performance that and VMProtect cost is unknown. At the moment there is no evidence for all these allegations.

Ubisoft can protect its property. Wolfenstein New Colossus was cracked several days before release. That should have caused a considerable damage.
Which site did an article looking at before and after?
I communicated with several good publications about capturing this and they could not do it due to various reasons, in fact this is something I have been keen about for awhile and spoke to them even before the Doom change.
To put it into context, if it had zero impact the studios/publisher would be happy to present this to Eurogamer or one of the other large magazines by inviting them to their location to see it in-house as a performance comparison.
And publications with their tech journalists do visit studios/publishers on invitation so it would not be impossible if the will was there.

Logically, Denuvo MUST have an overhead as it is working on the fly and involving encryption, nothing is for free but like I said how it is interracting these days would be more subtle but we do not know its actual impact on various ways of the game engine.
Remember publishers and developer of Denuvo said even when it was 1st created it had no overhead but they eventually revised/evolved how it worked when there was erratic performance behaviour from certain games with Denuvo.....

Anyway this situation seems even worse here with Assassin's Creed Origins because it looks like it is combining multiple overhead protection programs,algorithms,processes, one of which if done (VMProtect) is pretty much a brute force protection with disregard for consumer and game efficiency/optimisation.

As you say a publisher has the right to protect their investment, but there comes a time when it needs to balance protection and consideration for legit purchasers, especially if it compromises performance or they just use the extra grunt of PCs to add ever more cumbersome protection rather than improve gaming experience.
However all of them should be transparent with such protections and invite publication and tech journalists to analyse at the studio location the game with/without the added protections.
Bear in mind probably most game are developed and early game tested without these protections where they are added quite late in the day.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything about any kind of VR support in this game? I can't seem to find anything.

So Ubisoft has released a statement saying the anti-tamper solutions used have no impact on performance;
"the anti-tamper solutions implemented in the Windows PC version of Assassin’s Creed Origins have no perceptible effect on game performance." The spokesperson added that the game "uses the full extent of the minimum and recommended PC system requirements... while ensuring a steady 30fps performance."
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...-drm-is-slowing-down-assassins-creed-origins/

However considering the power of Haswell (and possibly Ivy Bridge in this context) and upwards compared to consoles their statement leaves a lot to be desired, so PC version needs a CPU substantially more powerful than console even when looking at 30fps...
Interestingly they do not deny VMProtect as part of the statement, and like I bolded is their context scope "steady 30fps performance"?
Meaning it can be detrimental to performance but is academic if you lock to 30fps.....

lol what a terrible response, though completely expected from them. "Perceptible" uh huh, that's a nice word you threw in there which is very subjective and nothing to do with empirical data on performance impact. And steady 30fps on PC? I don't see why they would even say that, I assume it's not locked to any specific fps? Stupid statement they should have never bothered making.

Back