Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon [PS4, PS5, XBO, XBSX|S, PC]

Wrong expectations for a FromSoftware game.

I'm not requesting photorealism or state of the art technology, but I would like to see better technical art direction, which is often more than enough to build a visually striking game. FromSoftware accomplished this with Elden Ring so I don't see why it would be asking too much for continuation with AC6.

I'm not requesting photorealism or state of the art technology, but I would like to see better technical art direction, which is often more than enough to build a visually striking game. FromSoftware accomplished this with Elden Ring so I don't see why it would be asking too much for continuation with AC6.
To me it looks awesome, regardless of the aging tech. Art direction is on point as expected from FromSoftware.

Reviews are out. Looking good so far.

T0bwCJj.png

Last edited:
I hoped for more in the graphics department. I wanted to be wowed just like I was 20ish years ago when MechAssault released on the OG Xbox. Sadly that sense of wonder may never come back.
The art design feels dated. But at the same time Halo suffered from the same challenges. A game like this needs sight lines and quick recognition of what’s going on. If you may everything look incredible while smashing through all the buildings at high speed makes it hard to figure out what to do.

I understand the decisions made, but it feels like there is more to be desired here.

Elden Ring looks better, or at least more stuff and more variety. AC looks like is set inside Blame!
Mech's animations are incredible tho.
I'm not familiar with Blame!. Can you elaborate?

I wouldn't compare it to Elden Ring, one being a dark fantasy open world and the other being a futuristic mech game.

The art design feels dated. But at the same time Halo suffered from the same challenges. A game like this needs sight lines and quick recognition of what’s going on. If you may everything look incredible while smashing through all the buildings at high speed makes it hard to figure out what to do.

I understand the decisions made, but it feels like there is more to be desired here.
It's also a cross gen title, it being From people should just pray for solid frame pacing and solid fps.

I'm not familiar with Blame!. Can you elaborate?

I wouldn't compare it to Elden Ring, one being a dark fantasy open world and the other being a futuristic mech game.

Avoiding spoilers and details, Blame! is a manga set in an undefined future where anything that you can see is an intricate metal/industrial labyrinth that spans millions of levels in every direction, and nobody knows where it ends, or even if it ends. The labyrinth is populated by robots from human size to mech size that have the only goal of killing on the spot any human remaining.
It's very good and extremely claustrophobic, so I love and hate it. Many levels of AC give me the same feeling.

Elden Ring is an older game that still has grass, carts, rocks etc so that the screen doesn't feel too empty. I understand that levels in AC are huge and run at 60fps, but even if not true the "feeling" is that has a ps3 level's poly density on screen, and maybe due to abuse of the gray color "feels" even older than ER.
My opinion at least.

dxsbond-blame.jpg

Avoiding spoilers and details, Blame! is a manga set in an undefined future where anything that you can see is an intricate metal/industrial labyrinth that spans millions of levels in every direction, and nobody knows where it ends, or even if it ends. The labyrinth is populated by robots from human size to mech size that have the only goal of killing on the spot any human remaining.
It's very good and extremely claustrophobic, so I love and hate it. Many levels of AC give me the same feeling.

Elden Ring is an older game that still has grass, carts, rocks etc so that the screen doesn't feel too empty. I understand that levels in AC are huge and run at 60fps, but even if not true the "feeling" is that has a ps3 level's poly density on screen, and maybe due to abuse of the gray color "feels" even older than ER.
My opinion at least.

dxsbond-blame.jpg

Thanks for the info on Blame!. Seems interesting.

You need to fire up some PS3 games if you think AC6 looks like a PS3 game.

Thanks for the info on Blame!. Seems interesting.

You need to fire up some PS3 games if you think AC6 looks like a PS3 game.
Their specific comment addressed this:

"but even if not true the "feeling" is that has a ps3 level's poly density on screen"

I get what they're saying. The game is fairly graphically unambitious, with lots of very repetitive, boxy geometry. It definitely has a more dated feel to it, however you want to put it.

That said, I think it seems to work well enough. Mech games like this need to have readability as a high priority, especially when it's this fast and the levels are as open as they are. Simpler geometry goes a long way here, so enemies dont get lost in a sea of 'realistic detail' in the environments when viewed through a flat window at a distance from you(VR with high resolutions will eventually solve this problem...).

My opinion at least.

dxsbond-blame.jpg

The world AC is set in is one where massive corporations have completely devastated and developed the entire world and they are now fighting over the last scraps and resources that are available. Nature basically doesn't exist (there might be a preserved pocket somewhere, but you likely wouldn't ever run across it) and it's generally a desert wasteland (radioactive or non-radioactive) and any habitable areas are giant industrial complexes.

Regards,
SB

Back