Are you going to get GTA4?

Are you going to get GTA4?

• Total voters
I'm amazed so many people actually have both consoles! Seems a bit redundant to me.

Maybe, maybe not. I've come to realise that while a lot of people seem to think they are more similar than different, I'm increasingly starting to think they aren't.

I didnt say that everyone who plays it is retarded or plays it for violence. As I said some people may play a game for different reasons. But the main selling point of GTA for the most people isnt what you and some other people see in it.

I dont know much about GTA4. So it could be different. My personal experience with previous GTA games didnt express to me any form of creativity or art though.

I agree, the past GTAs mostly got by on their crude,irreverent humour, their somewhat notable acting performances, and their general willingness to let you kill/destroy and/or maim anything in sight.

Some of the stuff San Andreas was asking you to do (i.e. scare a hood into compliance by strapping him to the front of car and driving wildly) was innovative from a design standpoint, but the GTAs have had such poor controls and rampant performance issues that even the manner in which you complete these tasks isn't very fun.

Aside from that, the stories and social commentaries were never "deep" or poignant like the fans/press pretended,they were cynical, and mean spirited interpretations of Scarface. (and all the while, failing to communicate Scarface's point in any meaningful way)

Yet GTAIV looks different.

Certainly the typical GTA content is there, but Rockstar North has decided to tackle violence in a more mature,responsible manner.
By all (albeit hyperbolic) accounts, GTAIV, unlike its predecessors, is actually going to try to depict criminals and criminal behaviour in a more repulsive and harrowing manner. Rockstar appears to have done what it should have done three iterations ago;they made game that makes you think about the consequences of your actions. A game that's trying to get you feel something beyond mild amusement. Personally,I'd like to see how that goes.
I'm buying the PS3 version at launch.

I'm amazed so many people actually have both consoles! Seems a bit redundant to me.

Console exclusives are enough to validate a one time cost of 350-400 usd for each console (imo). I dont think I could go through a generation and miss out on Halo, Fable, NG, MGS, FF, GofW, etc.

I use Gamefly to fill in the time between high profile titles. I find both consoles (360,PS3) offer a similar experience with positives and negatives associated for each.

Yes, Europeans will tip the scales a little towards the PS3 here I think. Online polls in general could be tipped in favor of the 360 though potentially as more of them may be internet-savvy. :p

Today is the due date of our baby. I'm hoping the baby will be out before GTA IV. If not, I may buy it Tuesday (Wednesday and Thursday are holidays here). If it is, GTA IV may just have to wait a little. ;)

PS3 for me. I get a feeling Halo 3 was the last game I'll ever buy for the 360, I even got Gears on the PC.

Just pre-ordered for 360. Should be a giant leap forward for the series and, if the sense I'm getting from the previews of how "alive" Liberty City appears compared to the prior settings for open-world games is accurate, could be a new benchmark for a game's ability to immerse you in it's environment.

I went hunting for a copy of the 360 version today after work and luckily found a store willing to sell me a copy early. I actually just asked if they had been taking pre-orders or would be selling it on the day thinking I could either pre-order now or at least get there early on the 29th. But the bloke at the counter just said "we can sell it to you now if you want" :)

I also managed to find Wii Fit after going to every shop I could think of and finding it sold out everywhere. The last place I tried before going home (a popular game store where I was sure I had no chance of finding it) still had some in stock!

I'm now off for two days and have both GTA IV and Wii Fit to play with :D

I'm now off for two days and have both GTA IV and Wii Fit to play with :D

I've got a feeling one will take up more time than the other ... ;) (Especially after seeing the Eurogamer Wii preview ... that was a funny review, but it totally turned me off the Wii board for now)

PS3 for movies, 360 for games. At least thats what I do with them. I'll most likely get the 360 version just because of achievements, dlc and the controller which I far prefer, but I'll consider the PS3 version if it runs much better. Just waiting to see what the reviews say. I don't count IGN, I've been privy to enough insider info to know not to trust their reviews anymore. Those Eurogamer comparisons are cool, where they get into more detail on what the differences are. Significantly faster load times would probably be enough to get me to go PS3.

Nesh said:
If it wasnt for the violence and the freedom to do any crime you want I doubt it would have gotten the recognition it got. It is the "Mortal Kombat" of free roaming action games. Violence sells. I prefer a "Street Fighter" or "Virtua Fighter".

I dunno, I thought Vice City on PS2 was one of the best games I ever played, although the 80's theme certainly helped it. It just had a freedom that so many other games lack. Heck, I found myself sometimes just driving around and listening to 80's tunes on the radio.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured the 360 version would the obvious choice for me for various reasons, but reviews mentioning less pop in less framerate issues on the PS3 have me wanting to wait for a video comparison of the the two to see how notable those differences actually are.

Not getting it, unless it's a huge change in direction from GTA3.

1.) I've never been into 3rd person shooters. They've always felt too arcade-y to me, and that sort of feel doesn't lend itself very well to gritty stories.

2.) The driving is very goofy, and also arcade-like.

3.) There's only so much mileage I can get with revenge/mafia/etc stories. Right, kill this guy, kill the other guy, kill original guy, kill random guy, lunch, hookers, kill corrupt politician, kill new guy, hookers; and this goes on for hours?

I bought the original GTA3, and the only enjoyment I got out of it was using cheat codes and causing mass havok. I never got out of the first area, because the actual missions bored me to Hell.

For me, the GTA series has failed to juggle three things: arcade-y/unrealistic gameplay, gritty and dark story telling, and repetitive gameplay. Each of those things aren't necessarily bad, but the way Rockstar mixes them is just utter fail.

You can mix arcade-y gameplay and a dark story. You'd probably get something a la Sin City, but then you'd have to keep the gameplay interesting enough to engage the player, despite the clear dissonance from the combination of unrealistic gameplay and realistic storytelling.

You can mix arcade-y gameplay with repitition, and you'd get something like the UT series, which is a Hell of a lot of fun.

Anyway, my $0.02.

this poll certainly proves the PS3-centricity of the board

most sites with this poll have the 360 way ahead simply due to user base alone. also they may be less international of a forum

example from OP Sports Non sports gaming forum poll

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/non-sports-gaming/247466-grand-theft-auto-4-console-poll.html

Pre-orders for the PS3 version of Grand Theft Auto IV are outstripping the Xbox 360 version by 3:1 on the website of UK supermarket Asda.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187505&site=cvg

Certainly the typical GTA content is there, but Rockstar North has decided to tackle violence in a more mature,responsible manner.
By all (albeit hyperbolic) accounts, GTAIV, unlike its predecessors, is actually going to try to depict criminals and criminal behaviour in a more repulsive and harrowing manner. Rockstar appears to have done what it should have done three iterations ago;they made game that makes you think about the consequences of your actions. A game that's trying to get you feel something beyond mild amusement. Personally,I'd like to see how that goes.
I'm buying the PS3 version at launch.

That sounds better in my ears if true :)

That does seem to fly in tha face of common sense a bit. I womder if the 360 gamers are aiming at the games stores rather than the supermarkets? It does seem to highlight a fundamental difference between the two crowds.

Perhaps the average PS3 gamer is simply a Joe 4 pack who has recently upgraded from a PS2 while the 360 gamer represents more of a hardcore gamer that frequents gaming stores/websites more? Its early launch would obviously attract that crowd.

I've now got both consoles again, and I'll be picking it up on 360. DLC is the reason why.

Yes, 360.

I'm not getting a PS3 until all of the following:

- 200 EUR
- Final Fantasy XIII out in EU
- Blu-ray discs at the video rental store at the corner

I'm getting the game on the 360, simply because I have only that console. If I had both, I'd wait a couple of days for technical analysis of both versions and then choose whatever console has better performance. I don't trust sites like IGN or 1UP since they were BSing so many times.

Back