Are we on a path of loosing control of our hardware.

ndoogoo

Newcomer
2005: Intel sneak DRM hardware into the CPUs
2006: AMD decides to follow Intels lead and add DRM to its CPUs
2007: Longhorn is release
2008: Creative labs add DRM to its new sound cards
2009: ATI/NV add DRM to all future hardware( GPUs and chipsets)
2010: Now every chip inside PCs has DRM
2011: Longhorn2
2012: New internation laws forcing all hardware\software vendors to include DRM
2013: All hardware devices are controlled and get permissions from a internation DRM organisation.

Your PC will only be able to play media and run application that you have permission to run. Open source dies and only big software/hardware/media company's can afford the the cost of getting their product on the DRM system.

Application are no longer bought but subscribe to.

2014: Skynet goes online :p

ndoogoo said:
2005: Intel sneak DRM hardware into the CPUs
Well it actually started with cpuid, but that was boo'ed out. Not sure how it was sneaked in, as Intel is part of the trusted computing group and they have talked about it eventually being put into their products.
2006: AMD decides to follow Intels lead and add DRM to its CPUs
Well, AMD is a member of the trusted computing group so it follows that they will eventually also go this route.
2007: Longhorn is release
Lol, i dont even think MS knows when LH will be released.
2008: Creative labs add DRM to its new sound cards
God i hope they go bankrupt before then.
2009: ATI/NV add DRM to all future hardware( GPUs and chipsets)
Isnt there some drm now in video cards? Or is it the tv cards? Something along the lines of only working with other drm capable cards.
2010: Now every chip inside PCs has DRM
Sounds about right
2011: Longhorn2
Could be LH1. :)
2012: New internation laws forcing all hardware\software vendors to include DRM
It will be alot earlier than that. Maybe around 2008.
2013: All hardware devices are controlled and get permissions from a internation DRM organisation.
Quite possible
Your PC will only be able to play media and run application that you have permission to run. Open source dies and only big software/hardware/media company's can afford the the cost of getting their product on the DRM system.
I dont think open source dies as many of the big companies actually prefer oss over MS.
Application are no longer bought but subscribe to.
Yep, this is the model many companies are going to.
2014: Skynet goes online :p
:oops:

Anyways, we have the thiefs who steal other peoples hard work for all this DRM crap. Thanks digi, diguru, silence, ....

epic

/me yawns...

there is also simple solution, dont buy DRM components. i know i wont.
and if Longhorn will be all about DRM i know it wont get installed on my comp ever.... i'll move to Linux. (well, Linux is going to get DRM also, but i rather have Open Source solution with DRM other then M$ one on my comp... at least with Linux there is code out there and people know what their computers are sending)....

pretty simple....vote with your money and this whole DRM shit might burst in the face of those that push it....

BTW :: there was big discussion in "Software" forum about this not long ago...

Don't forget a lot of ignorant consumers will buy the hardware, so whether you buy it or not won't really matter much.

epicstruggle said:
Anyways, we have the thiefs who steal other peoples hard work for all this DRM crap. Thanks digi, diguru, silence, ....

Thievery of software and oh-so valuable Hollywood "content" isn't the reason for all of this DRM shite, these things would have happened anyway.

nutball said:
epicstruggle said:

Thievery of software and oh-so valuable Hollywood "content" isn't the reason for all of this DRM shite, these things would have happened anyway.
hehe, sure it would have. ;) Which came first, alarm systems or burglars? jails or criminals? Car alarms or thieves? ....

DRM is only a responce to the thieves, some of whom are on this board. They have no respect for others work and so we will all have to suffer for it.

epic

epicstruggle said:
Which came first, alarm systems or burglars? jails or criminals? Car alarms or thieves? ....

Which came first, death or taxes?

DRM is only a responce to the thieves, some of whom are on this board. They have no respect for others work and so we will all have to suffer for it.

Given that the industry has no respect whatsoever for the consumer it's hardly surprising that they get no respect back.

epicstruggle said:
Thanks digi, diguru, silence, ....

epic

and thanks epic for vizas and immigration laws you fucking hypocrite.... calling others criminals while you have broken the law is really the epic thing (tm) to do....

nutball said:
epicstruggle said:
Which came first, alarm systems or burglars? jails or criminals? Car alarms or thieves? ....

Which came first, death or taxes?
death

Given that the industry has no respect whatsoever for the consumer it's hardly surprising that they get no respect back.
Which is why i boycott 99% of hollywood. In the last 4 years or so, ive only watched 7 movies and i havent bought a music cd in at least 10 years. If people keep stealing movies, musics, games, apps, .... then this crap is what we will live with. If we boycott WITHOUT STEALING, then the power is in our hands and not theirs. To bad not many people see this point of view.

epic

One thing is almost guaranteed. If the recording industry ended up with 0% piracy, they would still find an excuse to keep the prices and profits really high.

ndoogoo said:
One thing is almost guaranteed. If the recording industry ended up with 0% piracy, they would still find an excuse to keep the prices and profits really high.

They are greedy *****. They don't just deserve people stealing from them, they deserve to be bankrupt and set on fire.

ndoogoo said:
Yes, but thats where the boycott comes in. They only control content not our money and how we spend it. If you get enough people to stop buying music from sony, they will change their tune very quickly and then you move to the next company.

Also walmart is suprisingly pushing the record industry to lower prices or else not be included in the store selection.

epic

epicstruggle said:
ndoogoo said:
Yes, but thats where the boycott comes in. They only control content not our money and how we spend it. If you get enough people to stop buying music from sony, they will change their tune very quickly and then you move to the next company.

Also walmart is suprisingly pushing the record industry to lower prices or else not be included in the store selection.

epic
That is fine for some people. Other people may find music as important as food. The market is too big and people are too addicted to do much.

Imagine trying to get the UK to boycott alcohol.

read the rest for more:
http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2321&p=2
The first question that should pop into your head right now is why we would need HDMI on the PC when it physically does the job of DVI – particularly considering how few people actually use DVI instead of analog connections! The answer is, again, copy protection.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2430
All of ATI's roadmaps also talk a lot about HDCP (HD Copy Protection) and CGMS-A (Content Generation Management System for Analog). We have talked about HDCP in the past, and particularly its role on the PC platform.

silence said:
/me yawns...

and if Longhorn will be all about DRM i know it wont get installed on my comp ever.... i'll move to Linux. (well, Linux is going to get DRM also, but i rather have Open Source solution with DRM other then M$ one on my comp... at least with Linux there is code out there and people know what their computers are sending)....

pretty simple....vote with your money and this whole DRM shit might burst in the face of those that push it....

I'm sure even a liquid nitrogen cooled and overclocked 16 way opteron system wouldn't hold up well 5 years from now.

Oh, and there's always the option simply to not make computing a big part of your life. Don't fight the government and big corporations for control, just give it to them. Computers for work, consoles for play, and simple minded behavior for the rest of life.

epicstruggle said:
nutball said:
epicstruggle said:

hehe, sure it would have. ;) Which came first, alarm systems or burglars? jails or criminals? Car alarms or thieves? ....

epic

Jesus are you really that incapable of reasoning? Ive never seen so many non sequitors in a row. Guess what! Raincoats were made in response to the weather, and fishooks in response to fish. But neither of those two statements prove that DRM is in response to thievery, and neither do your insane ramblings.

Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true.
Learn to think.

Fox5 said:
silence said:
/me yawns...

I'm sure even a liquid nitrogen cooled and overclocked 16 way opteron system wouldn't hold up well 5 years from now.

Oh, and there's always the option simply to not make computing a big part of your life. Don't fight the government and big corporations for control, just give it to them. Computers for work, consoles for play, and simple minded behavior for the rest of life.

first, i dont doubt it will be cracked, specially cause it is taunted so much by big names and represents such a chellange to hackers, second, there is always way to get content if you look hard enough....

there is one other option that noone is considering.... USA and EU countries have living stabdard that can pay for DRM content, but the rest of the world doesnt.
as far as i remember M$ said : "we want every chinese to pay for their windows", ya thats all nice and groovy, but whats average salary in China compered to US?
simple answer is that chinese CANT pay for software at current prices.
look at the games, do you honestly expect someone to pay 50$ for new game when he makes less then that per month?

how will you shove DRM down their throats?.....

i know situation here in Croatia, you can buy yellow pages and there hundereds of adds for PC/console games, programs and everything, most of them are just students that cant afford to pay their education, so they burn some CDs and make some cash for living....
and govermant is not going to crack on them for sure, they cant .....

and we have pretty good salaries of all ex-communist countries.... more you go to the east, salaries drop faster.....

so....tell me.... how does M$ and other plan to force people that acctually CANT pay for software/movies/music to take DRM?

you simply cant look just at USA/EU when it comes to this....

god knows, maybe we will end up buying chinese CPUs without DRM in couple of years? ;)

^lousy quoter....

but chinese CPU running Linux might become reality in few years for those that dont want M$ or others to have control over their computers....

i ask once again.... would any of you install something that acctually gives higher access privilages to _SOMEONE_ then yourself on your comp, so that person (organisation, whatever) can access your data when it wants?

Back