Apple does a new record(?) in trying to screw a customer

Wut. A unibody mac is generally much easier to take apart than most PC laptops; the shell has one metal lid held down by a handful of precision screws, instead of 15 plastic hatches covering separate components and eleventy screws. You remove the lid, everything is exposed, nice and tidy. You can upgrade your RAM, switch out your harddrive, and have your laptop screwed back together again inside of five minutes.

Couldn't be simpler. :)

This.

I've updated RAM and hard drives in many many laptops and the unibodies are much easier to work on then snapping keyboards out, etc. You can fault the battery issue, but, in general, the oddly shaped internal batteries are one of the reasons their laptops last longer off AC.

ram1.png

That's the underside of a MBP after removing the cover by unscrewing about 10 small torx screws.

God(s), isn't that beautiful so say. That picture (or well, a pretty much identical one) posted by Anandtech in their 2011 macbook pro review is what sold me on Apple. Hardware pr0n of the highest order. All available space efficiently used... It's simply magnificient! :)

Not to derail, but please direct me to laptops of similar build quality to the MacBook Pros.

HP Envy. I have one, it's pretty durable (survived so far, that's something). HP is ripping a lot from Apple with Envy and some of the components (namely: touchpad) suck in result. :S

What did you expect people would add to a thread with the OP basically bitching about Apples consumer practices?

Honestly I was expecting more given the nature of this forum.

I believe many are openminded and well-educated but if you hit reply and barely scratch the "lowest denominator" of any other forum, perhaps you should really re-evaluate the post before replying.

I gladly admit that I am an Apple goof or whatever derogatory term people use these days but I am not religiously defending Apple, opposed to what seems like a personal crusade against Apple without first-hand experience from some users here and other places.

I've had my fair share of bad experiences with Apple Customer Relations and even shared them here but I've also had very nice ones, replacing computers and Apple Cinema Displays no questions asked etc.

Damn, that's a lot of "I's" in this post heh. I mean, I don't start threads about the appalling work practices of other companies, simply because I don't see the value in it or personal interest. Heck, a lot of companies make their stuff at Foxconn but the media is totally ignoring that for some reason, some even had to go court for other computer brands to get their problems fixed. If anything, Apple is just a popular target because of its brand value.

Bad pun intended, I just wish the bad apples (snicker) would wise up a bit and actually add something to the discussion for once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets just say I don't like apple business tactics and their consumer brainwashing.

For example: Dutch consumer law dictates that there is a 2 year warranty on electronics. Apple time and time again keeps not only screwing over costumers by telling them they only got 1 year warranty (which is against the law) and even now, when they were forced to change it, they keep being a bitch about it. So here you are, with your stupidly overpriced, childlaborour device, and you can't even expect apple to give you your lawfull warranty :') And the beauty of it all is that all apple consumers just accept it with a smile and go out to buy the next overpriced product a year later! Gotta give them credit for that.

And than I wont even start about bullshit like ''retina''. Bitch please, the DPI is only 10% higher than my Touch Diamond had 4 years ago. Actually, it took until the iphone 4 until the iphone could finally do everything my Diamond did.

I will never ever own apple products.

Could you elaborate?

You do realize the difference between a warranty and the EU required reclamation law? Because they are not the same. Apple is actually giving you a full year of warranty instead of the required 6 months, funny isn't it? But you still have, in effect of being a European Union citizen, 2-years full reclamation as required by the law. Warranty ≠ reclamation.

I'll bite with regards to the HTC Touch Diamond but isn't the last 10% what distinguishes you from the 90%?

An old saying goes that the first 90% is the easiest to accomplish but the last 10% is the hardest.

It's pretty hard to argue that the 2.8" 480 x 640 is anything close to the 3.5" 640 x 960 display of the iPhone 4 / 4S. Isn't that isolating one thing and believing the argument will hold up on closer scrutiny?

I think razer's laptop shows promise. I think the capacitive screen is a great isea for number pad.

Horrible idea. Most people I know that use a number pad frequently enough for it to be useful are all touch typists. They never look away from the screen when using their numpad.

Then again, I guess since it's a gaming laptop, a useable numpad isn't a high priority. :) It does look cool, however.

Regards,
SB

A capacitive screen for a numpad is nearly 100% gimmicky. It'll have some uses for sure, but it won't be useful.

Horrible idea. Most people I know that use a number pad frequently enough for it to be useful are all touch typists. They never look away from the screen when using their numpad.

Then again, I guess since it's a gaming laptop, a useable numpad isn't a high priority. :) It does look cool, however.

Regards,
SB

Um I can use one without feeling the keys. If you use a number pad a lot it is pretty easy actually. I have a separate blue tooth pad I use now though with a laptop.

The fact that it isn't limited to being a number pad (I wouldn't use that term to describe it at all in fact) makes it useful. I think the switchblade UI is a decent idea (still needs some work), it just needs to find its way into a product that isn't massively overpriced.

As an owner of a dead Toshiba SLI notebook, because of bumpgate, it really confuses me as to how people can continue to by products with Nvidia chips in them.

What seems even stranger is blaming the pc manufacturer for a problem that you know was created by Nvidia.

Because Apple is responsible for the customer service on that system? What do you think the response would have been if he had contacted Nvidia about the problem? ... talk to apple we aren't a retailer.

Yes, your are right. I fotgot that Nvidia created the GPU and we should never question that. thank you for reminding me.

Edit: any one want to buy an awesome SLI laptop. It's not Nvidia fault it doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blame Nvidia all you want, but the label on the product isn't Nvidia. It's Apples responsibility for making sure their products work and if the product doesn't work it's their responsibility to make restitution to the customer.

Blame Nvidia all you want, but the label on the product isn't Nvidia. It's Apples responsibility for making sure their products work and if the product doesn't work it's their responsibility to make restitution to the customer.

Actually, of Mercedes Benz or GM or VW, etc. builds a car with a defective suspension, engine or safety part that they sourced from another company you can bet the liability goes back to the OEM. The case mentioned here confuses me a bit because it seems Apple was trying to get out of the replacement because the computer was overclocked? What is that bit Davros mentioned about upclocked?

Anyway, the customer is always right. There are people you don't want for customers and it's okay to let them walk, but once you have a customer you need to treat them right.

Actually, of Mercedes Benz or GM or VW, etc. builds a car with a defective suspension, engine or safety part that they sourced from another company you can bet the liability goes back to the OEM. The case mentioned here confuses me a bit because it seems Apple was trying to get out of the replacement because the computer was overclocked? What is that bit Davros mentioned about upclocked?

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the manufacturer is responsible for making sure their end product is functional. ie If hantol doesn't make the brick, I'm pretty sure it's still their fault for putting it in there

Every time there's been a recall with a part in a vehicle I've owned, I've gotten a letter from the manufacturer of the car to take it to the dealer for service. The part manufacturer certainly could be responsible (I suppose it depends on if the product actually meets specs, or usage is out of scope for the part) but from a consumer perspective that's behind the scenes, the manufacturer has to work that out with them.

Back