Apple does a new record(?) in trying to screw a customer

Exactly. Text, icons, etc. would compensate, but my tanks in Civ V would be microscopic!

weird that such a recent game would go for "the higher res you have, the more of the map you get to see", at least Warcraft III would show the exact same display no matter the resolution (even 2D "HUD" elements were scaled)

wouldn't someone on 1024x600 display be pwned everytime by someone with a ultra high res 27" or 30" display :p
(but let's have a game of quake 3, and the guy with a 120Hz CRT, or even a CRT set at 125Hz with double buffering vsync on, will pwn the guy with the expensive 60Hz LCD)

Some strategy games disable larger maps for multiplayer.
I would personally be pissed if I couldn't see more of the map in single-player though.

I havent played civ5, but surely if its 3d the DPI makes bugger all difference to how big something is onscreen, thats a legacy from 2d stuff directdraw,flash,old webpages that use px instead of em or %) etc when things were coded per pixels

I havent played civ5, but surely if its 3d the DPI makes bugger all difference to how big something is onscreen, thats a legacy from 2d stuff directdraw,flash,old webpages that use px instead of em or %) etc when things were coded per pixels

AFAIK, in Civ V you can see a larger minimum zoom map with more pixels. I can check sometime.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1607044&postcount=61

Imagine something like that on a small display (although that's quite a bit bigger).
Im reminded of a quote from red dwarf with cryton when he became human something like 'where is the zoom function' 'you move you head closer to the page' :D
I havent played civ5, it is 3d I assume. If so it sounds like bad design, you cant zoom/move the camera, note to 3d civ ppl its possible to zoom in/out on a place and have the labels at a fixed or a scaled size
IIRC the forumla is X = D / tan(fov/2)

Im reminded of a quote from red dwarf with cryton when he became human something like 'where is the zoom function' 'you move you head closer to the page' :D
I havent played civ5, it is 3d I assume. If so it sounds like bad design, you cant zoom/move the camera, note to 3d civ ppl its possible to zoom in/out on a place and have the labels at a fixed or a scaled size
IIRC the forumla is X = D / tan(fov/2)

Not really following you zed. If you read widescreen gaming or any of the other multimonitor sites you'll find that "board" type games give you more board space (they're pseudo 3d - 3d pieces on a 2d map) whereas FPS-types give you FOV for peripheral vision to the sides.

In other words, if you compare the 19x12 to the 3x 19x12 shots of a strategy game you typically get 3x the map because FOV isn't part of it (the stuff to the edges of a strategy game to stretch or bend and you can never look left or right and see something :) ) whereas an FPS is totally different.

This is why Starcraft 2 doesn't allow multimonitor in multiplayer.

Let's see if this works...
ingame_16x10.jpg

ingame_3x1.jpg

interesting..seems 3D games give you more information as well...
ingame_16x9.jpg

ingame_3x1.jpg

So anyway...if I take a game like Civ V and put all that map into 11" you can imagine how tiny things get to old eyes like mine.

eastmen
how you put ssd inplace of disc drive?

is the disc drive on hp envy series using normal sata?
i have asus and the disc drive port is looks not normal sata

Chances are it's a similar install to a macBook pro which is standard. Swapping a hard drive for SSD on a Mbp takes about 7 minutes. I wouldn't recommend anyone get HP's or Apple's choice for an SSD as you'll over pay & likely be slower than what you could install yourself.

interesting..seems 3D games give you more information as well...
What game is that? Looks interesting, but I've no idea. I barely play games anymore these days, I just buy em and look at them in my Steam library list... :oops:

What game is that? Looks interesting, but I've no idea. I barely play games anymore these days, I just buy em and look at them in my Steam library list... :oops:

1st is Civ V, 2nd is Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Ah, thank you. Thought it might have been Deus Ex. I've been holding off on playing that one due to the ads on the loading screens. Really, what the fuck were they thinking over there at Square when they thought that one up...

Ah, thank you. Thought it might have been Deus Ex. I've been holding off on playing that one due to the ads on the loading screens. Really, what the fuck were they thinking over there at Square when they thought that one up...

No longer an issue. When I played it earlier this year, no such ads were displayed.

That's comforting to hear! Thanks again! I'm ssssooooooooooooo bored waiting for Diablo 3, I've lost all interest in WoW, which is rather distressing considering how almost religiously I played that game for around 6.5 years effectively (with some breaks here and there), and I really need a good solid single-player title to distract myself with.

DX just might be it, we'll have to see.

Back