Apple A10X SoC

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices and SoCs' started by iMacmatician, Jun 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Giving it 4GB RAM would also increase mem b/w by 25% at least (more if it has DDR4 over DDR3), which benefits games more than anything else on a device like Apple TV.

If it targets 4K, that thing needs all the processing power it could ever hope for!

...Only a bit over 4 hours left now! *bites nails* lol

2. Pressure

Veteran Regular

The iPhone 7 can record and playback 4K with only 2GB of RAM. Just saying, it has dedicated hardware for it.

3. Entropy

Veteran

Yup, A10x in the new AppleTV. I'm actually curious what developers can do if they target that as base level performance.

Pressure likes this.
  4. wco81

Legend

I missed the event and didn't see anything about the new Apple TV being introduced?

5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

A10X, 4K, HDR. Home screen in 4K/HDR, screen savers in 4K/HDR.

Some software updates, particularly centered around sports it seems.

They also showed ThatGameCompany's (Flow, Flower, that sand game whatsitscalled...), next title, it's about flying around in the clouds, optionally with friends. Uses A10X, Metal 2. Looks very pretty.

That's about it. Device even looks exactly the same.

6. wco81

Legend

New entry price is $179, $30 higher.

For the same 32 GB, which with 4K HDR movies now seems totally inadequate.

Criticisms seem to be, same bad remote and no support for some of the better surround sound audio formats like DTS HD MA.

HDMI is 2.0a. I guess too early for 2.1. Too bad.

I may stick with ATV 4 for another year at least. Well I don't have a 4K HDR TV, though I might have gotten one if there was a really compelling 4K content.

7. mfaisalkemal

Newcomer

based on ifixit teardown, apple 4k have 2 different ram memory SK Hynix H9HCNNNBRUMLQR 2 GB LPDDR4 RAM and SK Hynix H9HCNNN8KUMLQR 1 GB LPDDR4 RAM for a total of 3 GB. does it possible two different capacity ram memory operating dual channel?

with power supply rated for 12 V at 1.083 A(12,996W maximum power supply) i think apple tv 4k efficiency is so great if i compare xbox one s(700GFLOPS vs. 1403.9GFLOPS). eurogamer test xbox one s to run Project Cars (Disc) and draw 79W.

#67 mfaisalkemal, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Yeah, in many/most PCs with dual channel memory controllers it's possible to use mismatched memory sizes, except you'd get only half bandwidth to the larger stick memory of course.

As for efficiency, the A10X is not as powerful as the xbone S and is using low-power silicon manufacturing process, whereas the xbone probably uses a higher power process. Also power consumption curves in general tend to rise faster than processing power curve; we'd have to compare apples with apples so to speak to really find out which chip would be the most power efficient (IE, a theoretical 1.4-ish Tflop A10X...)

9. mfaisalkemal

Newcomer

Link

10. zed

zed
    Veteran

my post from last year
    speaking of apple predictions, heres one of mine from 2012
    apple should be paying me