Anyone know how to get a book published

Sxotty

Legend
I was just curious. I wrote a book for fun and wanted to see if I could get a publisher interested in it. I know you can self publish, but that seems like a waste of money (unless you are a lucky mofo and then you still have your rights at least). I mean I realize you contact publishers. And I have read some submissions guidelines. They basically read like this.

We receive tons of submissions,
Send it in this format (usually a section from the beginning of the book, a short <10 page synopsis of book, cover letter, and SASE {self-addressed stamped envelope}) we will read it and give you a fair go
Good luck (yeah right ;))

Somehow I kind of doubt that is how it always works. I don't doubt that is the way it goes sometimes, but it seems there are other pathways people take. I just wondered if anyone had any insight into the issue here.

There are online services where you can publish a book for like $50 or so, it gets printed on demand only and you get a nice 50% provision. But you have to let a pro proof-read it to get an ISBN number. try "books on demand" in google. Here's the german site which does that: http://www.book-on-demand.de/

You should look for a book by Michael Legat call "An Author's Guide To Publishing".
I have seen such books before and glanced over them. The ones I saw were not particularly good beyond saying things like, don't make a fool of yourself :)

There are online services where you can publish a book for like $50 or so, it gets printed on demand only and you get a nice 50% provision. But you have to let a pro proof-read it to get an ISBN number. try "books on demand" in google. Here's the german site which does that: http://www.book-on-demand.de/
Well who knows maybe, but the problem then is that there is no marketing budget put up and therefore no one hears of the book to read it. Still I may inevitably go that way. $50 is really cheap though wow.

I have seen such books before and glanced over them. The ones I saw were not particularly good beyond saying things like, don't make a fool of yourself :)

That's why I recommended a specific book, rather than just saying "get a book on it". ;)

Micheal Legat's book is not a "how to be a writer", it's a practical guide to authors getting published. It cover things like publishing rights, agents, serialization, submitting works, contracts, licence periods, vanity/sponsored/self publishing, author/publisher relationships, etc.

Well who knows maybe, but the problem then is that there is no marketing budget put up and therefore no one hears of the book to read it. Still I may inevitably go that way. $50 is really cheap though wow.

Legat also talks about industry book fairs where you can go and flog your own printed book, or maybe even get a publishing deal.

Well you can make like 20-30 books through the online service and send that to the publishers, surely makes a better impression that a simple printout and it is the cheapest option to get a book printed. You'll have to invest some money this way or the other.

That's why I recommended a specific book, rather than just saying "get a book on it". ;)

Micheal Legat's book is not a "how to be a writer", it's a practical guide to authors getting published. It cover things like publishing rights, agents, serialization, submitting works, contracts, licence periods, vanity/sponsored/self publishing, author/publisher relationships, etc.

Legat also talks about industry book fairs where you can go and flog your own printed book, or maybe even get a publishing deal.
I have glanced over a book purporting to do what you say this one does, but it was not terribly informative. I will check this one out though as well.

Well you can make like 20-30 books through the online service and send that to the publishers, surely makes a better impression that a simple printout and it is the cheapest option to get a book printed. You'll have to invest some money this way or the other.
One would think so, but I am not entirely sure just because of how they work.

Well I ass-ume, since I never tried it myself :) If I still had contact to my biological father, I would ask him since he published a few books. Unfortunately not an option.

Back