Anyone have a DualShock 3 yet?

Oh I forgot it wasnt immersion before. Sony violated the patent. So is it immersion that provides the technology for the DS3?
Its two damn weights on a rotor. Thats just about as much patentworthy "technology" as you need to change a lightbulb.

Hmmm..

*Walks of to check if "screwing" is already patented*

Oh I forgot it wasnt immersion before. Sony violated the patent. So is it immersion that provides the technology for the DS3?
Looks like the same rumble in DS3 and DS2. Likely Sony's own construction with license fees to Immersion, perhaps with an extra spot of Immersion filtering somewhere in the package.

Megaton

I have one.

I got the white one. Since I already have many non shock back ones.

Very first impression of the thing was: Damn this is heavy! It really is very heavy folks. I pulled out a PS2 DS2 to compare with and it is heavier than that for sure. It is basically about the same weight as the DS2+fixed cable combined. Anyway I'm sure some people will whine, but you can't please everybody.

I guess the initial shock of going from the super light SIXAXIS to this heavy DS3 is going to be big for many people. But personally in the end I don't think I really care. It's not too heavy for me. Just heavy.

I tested with Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet, GT5P.

Uncharted and Ratchet were awesome with Rumble and had very well thought out implementations on both of them. It really added to the experience. I think the best part of Ratchet's implementation was the hacking minigame with sixaxis and rumble turned on. Rumble was a very nice complement to the motion controls. It made you really feel like you were controling something with your hands as you were tilting it around.

I've played many sixaxis games now. And I think what has been missing but sorely needed this whole time was rumble. Rumble gives you a much needed source of feedback and tacktileness when tilting the controler around.

In fact. I think a poorly received game like Lair might have been better received, had it had rumble. It could have made the tilt controls in a game like that more comprehensible since it gives additional source of feed back. Visual clues sometimes just not enough when trying to judge tilt angle. Especially when your physical actions are not 1 to 1 with what you see on screen in both space and time. But with rumble you can get great feed back to judge your tilt angle by. I think it really complements it.

Resistance was great with Rumble though from what I played. I might have to play through the whole thing again just to re-experience it all.

The rumble implementation in GT5P seemed a little too subtle for me. I didn't feel it much unless I went off road or when I started really wreching the wheel. But who knows what the final game will be like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played many sixaxis games now. And I think what has been missing but sorely needed this whole time was rumble. Rumble gives you a much needed source of feedback and tacktileness when tilting the controler around.

All the way back to very early discussions on rumble and motion controls, I mentioned that I wouldn't really miss rumble in general, but thought that the combination of rumble and motion could be really good and I lamented the lack of rumble mostly for the missed opportunity for that combination (wii-mote of course did get those two).

So now I'm glad to hear that it does seem like these two work together very nicely!

Thanks for your impressions ...

straight from japan

2022450309_75980ff2b8.jpg

2022455067_01fd807c6a.jpg

playtested Ratchet & clank for a few minutes.. feels so much better now with rumble.
but like another poster was saying, it feels like rumble feels a bit more soft then a dualshock( maybe it depends on the game or whatnot..) anyway, i like the feel now it weighs a bit more.
overal a big plus for sony (at last as i may say :) )

You may be able to in theory, but not obviously with different weights on each motor. The right motor 's eccentric weight is about 4x heavier I think (array of 4 weights). This setup basically gives you separate heavy rumble and light rumble. To try and go from heavy to light with different weights and moments and yet maintain the illusion of it being a single force passing across the system, rather than two independent units, seems implausible to me. Like trying to create a stereo audio transition from left to right where the right speaker is a woofer and the left speaker is a tweeter.

Well, it seems you are right. I just got mine, and tested with Uncharted, where most of the rumble comes from the left. I have barely felt the right yet at all. I think you can still do stereo, sort of, but then it'll have to be a lot more subtle effects. Mostly, it seems like it's pretty much as it has been in the DS2, as by now (after all the other impressions) expected.

However, the controller does feel very nice. I think a lot of people will like it. Even if just for the weight (some people want that). Buttons also feel a tiny bit tighter (slightly more pushed upwards, as it were, with less room to move), and the L2 and R2 action a bit better.

Can we have an update on this...

Whats the availability like now?

Is it going to be bundled with the PS3 or will it be sold seperately?

Hows the battery life in comparison to sixaxis?

How does the weight/feel of the rumble compare to the x360 controller?

I really want to get back into my launch PS3, but when I got the X360 with rumble there was no going back. But reading this thread made me think that if it is as good as they say it is I could take my PS3 off permament folding duty and actually play some games with it. The feedback on the sixaxis might make me actually want to use it rather than just complain that I just jumped off a cliff because I scratched myself on the nose.

if you believe rumors it should start to get bundelled with new PS3 Skus over the course of the next few months. If you want it sooner you still have to import.

Impressions? is it touchsense tech? can you open it?

I got it cheaper than a regular 6-axis in Sweden by importing it. I don't care much for it though... to me it seems weaker than the DS2, but I could be wrong since I used a DS2 made by Gametech. Mine is white, which is a nice gimmick and I use it to quickly see the difference between the two controllers I have.

The one thing I like about it is that apart from getting visual and audio clues from the games I now also get tactile feedback so that I don't have to listen/watch the TV all the time.

But a cheaper more feature complete gamepad (don't know about battery life), seems like a good deal to me!

I really want to get back into my launch PS3, but when I got the X360 with rumble there was no going back. But reading this thread made me think that if it is as good as they say it is I could take my PS3 off permament folding duty and actually play some games with it. The feedback on the sixaxis might make me actually want to use it rather than just complain that I just jumped off a cliff because I scratched myself on the nose.

The feedback on the sixaxis, to me, feels better than the 360's. It's not much better than the DS2's feedback (it's definitely not a new technology), but I just never realised how simple the 360's controller's feedback was, which seems to be single motor only?

The imported DS3 that I've been using for well over a month now has pretty decent feedback, and I feel the way it is positioned in the DS3 is more effective than it is in the 360 (the motor is closer to where you hold the controller).

What I'm most impressed by I guess is how well integrated it is in most games that I play, even though I've imported the thing. It's caught up really fast and there won't be many games out there now that don't support it.

Tiny aspects of it also feel better in general (trigger buttons, analog sticks), and I'm fairly convinced that some people will prefer the more solid feel the weight gives the controller. I can appreciate it myself at times.

From the way you talk, I think you'll definitely much prefer the DS3 over the regular sixaxis.

I haven't noticed much difference in terms of battery life. It's supposed to be 15 hours or so (rather than 30 hours without motion controls active), but either way the battery lasts long (my 360 controller hasn't even run out yet either, I haven't even unpacked my play and charge kit, partly because I've mostly played wheel / racing games I guess. ;) ), and when it does, I just plug it into the USB cable for a while (I like that you can simply keep on playing while doing so) and half an hour later it can go again for 15-30 hours.

Thanks Arwin, I like your answer! I didn't play too much in the PS2 timeframe because there were so many good PC games and I felt the graphical differences were too great to want to bother with the PS2. Never had an Xbox btw. It was just when I picked up the controller and started using it on halo 3 the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. It was THAT good. I think I do perfer the shape and size of the X360 controller to the extent that I'd buy the xbox version WAY before the same game on PS3. (When compared to the current controller)

I have always felt the PS3 controller was too light, the buttons had improved and the changes to L2/R2 and even R1/L1 were GOOD. Heck even the "sticks" were better than the PS2. It just didnt quite "feel" right. A lot of it was due to the weight.

I have the feeling I will like the feeling of rumble on the PS3, I may even start liking sixaxis again!! It seems like a good convergence. It will be interesting, I think I'd definately consider more exclusives... heck maybe i'll make it my main system (after pc always of course) again if the sixaxis becomes more intuitive. I DO like the IDEA of sixaxis! HATE the implementation.

I don't know if this is just because I've forgotten how DS2 felt like, but I feel DS3 may have slightly different rumble. Specifically, I died in Resistance, and a Stalker walked near my corpse (in 2P co-op). The rumble it induced felt like a kind of rumble I've never felt before. May be someone with recent DS2 experience can try that out.

I have played Resistance, Ratchet and Uncharted with the DS3 as well as the DMC4 demo, basically Uncharted uses it well, same with Ratchet but with Resistance I can feel every recoil, it's just awesome even though it doesn't mess with my aim or anything. With the DMC4 demo I can almost tell the window to just-ex with the rumble, I think I'm still a bit off at times but I think it's great how the games are using it. I don't want to knock the rumble on the 360 but I don't notice it as much.

Could anyone that has DS3 update whether they have had signal drop outs occur at all? My Six-axises seem to be suffering more and more from it lately...they are getting old and need to be replaced anyway. Would just like to know if anyone has had it happen, even once or twice....curious.

Ooh, also.....any comments on the weight of the new controller and it's impact on motion control (better, worse, same) would be nice too.

I've only ever had a signal drop out once, and that was in Resistance multiplayer, with the original sixaxis. I'm using the DS3 now almost always and haven't had a problem in any games yet, but I haven't played resistance online with it yet.

Back