Anyone have a DualShock 3 yet?

sevanig

Regular
Impressions? is it touchsense tech? can you open it?

My friend is stopping off at Thailand on his way to Greece, told him to get 1 for me if he sees it there + Uncharted and Ratchet :)

On a side note, I was playing the GT5 demo, in the 1st person view along side an Audi. And its rear wing raised once it got to a certain speed, either that or I am seeing things...

It's not Touch Sense. It's original last-gen technology two-motor rumble. Watch Impress had a dissection. Eurogamer had a few impressions of rumble a little while back. Sounds uninspiring; I always switched off rumble on PS2.

On a side note, I was playing the GT5 demo, in the 1st person view along side an Audi. And its rear wing raised once it got to a certain speed, either that or I am seeing things...

The new Audi TT? Fried of mine bought one of those. The rear spoiler raises automatically when you hit approximately 78mph.

In GT4 there were a few cars that did this, the Mercedes SLR and a Mitsubishi concept car comes to mind.

I'm also disappointed with the DS3's rumble, at least this will lower the price of the old controllers.

I'm also disappointed with the DS3's rumble, at least this will lower the price of the old controllers.

Why wouldn't they just introduce the DS3s at a higher price, and keep the SIXAXIS price the same? They have to make up all of that missed accessory revenue (from keeping things open and using standards) somehow! :p:LOL:

I was under the impression that the motors in the controller, while not touchsense, were actually improved over the original rumble functionality, with more nuance to it.

I recall some impressions of the tech where it was mentioned it felt like something was passing from one side to the other, which I don't remember experiencing on the Dual Shock 2.

Or would this be more attributable to smarter programming and/or an extended API?

I was under the impression that the motors in the controller, while not touchsense, were actually improved over the original rumble functionality, with more nuance to it.

I recall some impressions of the tech where it was mentioned it felt like something was passing from one side to the other, which I don't remember experiencing on the Dual Shock 2.

Or would this be more attributable to smarter programming and/or an extended API?
Probably more a case of the reviewer deluding themselves! There's one motor on each side with a different weight each, which makes good directional controller a bit rough to implement. Other reviews (Eurogamers) have pegged the experiences thus far as very standard. I think before we knew what was in their, some people's imaginations got the better of them on the assumption that it was the improved technology.

They're two identical motors left and right. Surely you can create a 'passing from one side to the other' effect in much the same way as you can with two speakers on a sound system?

It may be due to better motors, better vibration locality, wider force range, quicker response time, or as Shifty says enthusiasm and wrong assumptions leading to false impressions.

You may be able to in theory, but not obviously with different weights on each motor. The right motor 's eccentric weight is about 4x heavier I think (array of 4 weights). This setup basically gives you separate heavy rumble and light rumble. To try and go from heavy to light with different weights and moments and yet maintain the illusion of it being a single force passing across the system, rather than two independent units, seems implausible to me. Like trying to create a stereo audio transition from left to right where the right speaker is a woofer and the left speaker is a tweeter.

You may be able to in theory, but not obviously with different weights on each motor. The right motor 's eccentric weight is about 4x heavier I think (array of 4 weights)

Hmm, I don't quite understand how it makes sense that they are different to be honest. I mean, I see it in the picture, but it doesn't compute in my head.

i reive my controllers tomorow, i will post some tests here, but i do expect them to be more or less exactly the same as a DS2

Anyone know if this models has fixed to occasional loss of signal issue??

Was it ever proven for certain that the signal loss issue was actually a real hardware fault and not a product of the user's environment? The reason I ask is that I have not once had my sixaxis drop out or lose signal on me. Or at least I don't think I have. I have read the descriptions of the problem and not once has my controller behaved in a manner that would even suggest it was wireless (other than the lack of a wire). I have a 60GB NTSC PS3 btw, so maybe it's not a problem with those. Never lost signal with my 360, GCN, or Wii either. Only problem with the Wii is when my dog sits infront of the sensor bar and that seems to block it causing digital death and frustration.

Back