Anyone bought a Conroe yet?

I've decided to just go ahead and grab one of the ultra cheap Pentium D's. The advantages of the Core 2 really are not showing up to me yet.

I was hoping heat would be down, nope not at all it seems. I was hoping they'd OC better, nope seems retail are not nearly as good OC'ers as suggested by reviews.

Its okay though, I'm gonna pick up the Asrock board and a PD 805 and see what I get, that way I can just throw in a Core 2 later down the line possibly when the revisions are to the point that they all OC pretty good.

i ordered a 6600 with 4 sata hitachi 80GB (RAID 0) for my company to give oomph at heavy photoshop work (working actions with 40 200mb pictures at same time) Of course it wont be stock either lol. More like >3ghz.

die G5 die! (PC-photoshop fans joke, that i wish it comes true). I wanna show the G5 peps at work how good PC's become (but photoshop runs really well in G5's)

Athlon 64s have run photoshop better for a while, photoshop is not the best app to show off the speed of a G5. (cause it doesn't)

My supplier says next week (touch wood)

Apparently, the emerging consensus in various web forums seems to be that the retail revision (B2) doesn't do as well as the ones that were sent out to the hardware websites
Well duh, Intel would never consider going so low as to seed out very high performing samples for (p)reviews like everyone else :rolleyes:

If I can get 3ghz out of a chip that beats a 2.8ghz athlon at its 600mhz slower stock speed & less than half the price, I won't be even slightly troubled :D

Suggested conroe mobos? i think im going to get an nForcy, mostly because im an nForce user since nF1, do you think it's worth ?

Suggested conroe mobos? i think im going to get an nForcy, mostly because im an nForce user since nF1, do you think it's worth ?

If you want to overclock, don't get an nforce, they don't overclock well on the Intel side. Get a 965 or 975 for overclocking.

I have bought recently a MacPro with the next configuration:

Intel Quad Xeon 2Ghz
2GB FB-DIMM RAM
250GB HDD
ATI Radeon X1900

But I don´t know if with the Apple Box I can overclock it.

Gah! My supplier has just got in a shipment of the 1.8 & 2.1ghz chips but by the looks of it no 2.4ghz, I'll have to wait for next shipment I think :cry:

Hurrah! Up & running (though Gah! when will SATA drives ever actually reliably boot windows...)

Hurrah! Up & running (though Gah! when will SATA drives ever actually reliably boot windows...)

Which motherboard on the Intel side? I haven't had any issues booting with SATA drives on the AMD X2 platform for the past 1.5 years. So it seems to me it's not a SATA drive issue but more a Chipset/Bios issue.

why? Just overclock a bit ;)

The 1.8Ghz and the 2.1Ghz have only half the cache.

I'll probably be picking up a 6300 and a Asrock 775Dual-VSTA board soon, been putting it off but I've got the money now and I really need to upgrade over this slow A64 2800+.

why? Just overclock a bit
As above with cache + I just couldn't cope with upgrading to a lower base clock than my 2.2ghz A64.

Which motherboard on the Intel side?
DFI Infinity 975x.
I dunno whats up with SATA, every time I've tried to use it as a boot drive (3 different PCs, 2 drives & about 5 attempts), Windows is happy to install & gets up and running ok but then a few boots in I get Disk Boot Failures & wind up having to reinstall on PATA again :???:
I guess I'll try again in a few months & maybe it'll work then...

Anyway, here's a CPUID piccie

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really looking forward to getting my setup with Core 2. Especially because I'll be able to keep EVERYTHING from my A64 setup besides the CPU and motherboard (well of course). But the fact that I can still use my good ole' DDR400, AGP card, hard drives (IDE) just really makes me happy.

To add to that fact DDR400 befores just as good as DDR2 533 and DDR2 667 (budget of course) as shown by Anand with the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA board: http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2810&p=1

Also, I get a PCIe 4x slot and a AGP 8x slot on this board. Once again Anand shows that even highest end cards only loss 10% of performance when using a 4x slot, but I'll never use anything faster before I upgrade the board: http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2814

Basically for $250 I get a really nice sub system and down the line I can throw in a new motherboard and not feel I lost any money because the Asrock board is only about $50 new.

Plus I've seen that once again Anand has been able to get a 6300 and the Asrock all the way to 2.8Ghz with DDR400 and AGP cards in use! Even if I only get 2.4Ghz I'll be happy!

I :love: Asrock, they've really made the transistion for us on low budgets and still have AGP to new higher end CPUs easy.

I ordered a Core Duo 6400, an Asus P5W DH Deluxe, and 2GBs of DDR-800 (CAS4), which should arrive in a couple of days. Should go well with the 1900XT, I think my old Prescott 3.2GHz was holding it back a little...

Why can't I find any reviews that show performance delta between past-generation CPUs and new ones as the Conroe? every single review on the net (well, at least what I've seen)compares them to X2 processors and FX series, may be some to the Pentium D line of CPUs. But in my case, and I would say MOST of the cases, when someone is upgrading is going from a much lower CPU, like A643000+ (my case :p), or P4C, etc. I would REALLY like to see how much performance I would gain from upgrading, but seeing that Conroe is "20%" faster than X2 3800+ and then seeing that this one is a "10%" faster than 3800+ Single and then seeing that this is "16%" faster than my 3000+ is really not an option.

I nearly bought a Conroe Core 2 Duo, as I had most of my components ready for my new build machine, when Intel gave an official release date for the Conroe and the first pre-release tests of the Conroe versus the Athlon 64 came in but I decided to wait till Conroe was officially released for sale as I hoped that the prices of the AMD Athlon 64 chips would fall with the release of Conroe, as I allready had an Athlon 939 socket compatible motherboard and 1 Gig of DDR RAM,. So with the reduced prices of Athlons after the Conroe release, it made more sense for me to go the Athlon 64 processor route, as I allready had a motherboard and RAM to suit the Athlon, so I got a Athlon 64 4800 dual core 939 socket [ nb I did not want the 4600 since it is 512k + 512k cache whilst the 4800 is 1 megabyte + 1 megabyte ]. If I had not the motherboard and DDR memory allready, I would have chosen a Conroe Core 2 Duo instead.

Saludos Amigos
Zapata

Yah, the latter was me, stuck on socket 754 with AGP & DDR so had to go the whole hog, put it off due to high prices long enough for conroe to come out & AMD to drop prices but still went with the conroe (actually, I got all excited & ordered the day before AMD pricedrops :eek: but still got a faster CPU at about the same price as revised AMD 5000+)

My 6400 arrived today together with the motherboard and the 2GBs of DDR800, I'll setup everything (and reinstall Windows) just after finishing my backup...

Back