Is there a Windows wizard in the house?

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Trying to wrestle my new PC into some semblence of working order, and seriously, I'm not having much fucking success. I mean, it works, sort of. But not really. Most annoyingly, windows desktop screen updates (along with USB input) irregularly freezes for no apparent reason, sometimes for upwards of 30 seconds or so, I haven't timed it. Most of the time it's only hitching for a second or two, or three or four, and the mouse pointer may reappear in some completely different place once the system unfreezes again.

It doesn't seem to affect the rest of the system; programs seem to continue to run in the background without interruption. Also, behavior seems constrained to the windows desktop only (ran 3DMark several different tests of several different runs completely unaffected.) It all seems to have started with installing latest Radeon graphics driver, as prior to that I did not notice any odd behavior. Could be a driver software glitch, who knows.

If I run OCCT Linpack test (non-AVX version) it errors out after 1 minute 11 or 12 seconds consistently every time. But AVX version (which runs much hotter) I have run for over 30 minutes no problems.

So I thought, it's the XMP memory profile causing problems because I'm populating all DIMM slots with 3600MHz RAM. Grumblingly set clocks down to stock, ran test again. Errors out at 1m11s again. That shouldn't be fucking possible. No way should it hit the same point in a memory stress test regardless of memory speed!

Shrugged, set DIMMs back up again to full speed.

Also had problems with Prime95 benchmark crashing at some point for me, it runs for quite a while, and then the whole program would die with windows giving the standard, non-helpful "Prime95 has stopped working. You will be notified if a solution has been found" - which I will certainly NOT be! lol This happened several times.

Ran the benchmark once more with stock RAM speed settings, it completed all the way through (took about 3 hours 40 minutes, hurg.) Then I ran the test yet again at XMP speed overnight, and it completed. So now I don't know what is what, really.

Decided to try out Intel's Turbo Boost 3.0 driver thing. Not sure what it's supposed to do - if anything at all really. I figured, since my CPU won't turbo up higher than 4GHz even on low-core loads maybe that's what's missing. So I right-click the .inf, it says success, reboot....and nothing. It's not installed, the program group it's supposed to create doesn't exist, and there's no change in system behavior. It can't be uninstalled either...probably because it doesn't actually exist in the first place.

/golfclap, Intel. *sigh*

I check Device Manager again, trying to think of something to do about the not-working turbo boost thing. There's three High Definition Audio devices listed, even though there's only one actual sound chip on this mobo. One of the devices has a yellow exclamation mark on it, and it can't be made to go away. Updating its drivers doesn't do anything because it already has the proper driver, and uninstalling it just makes it come back again on next reboot.

There's a lot other duplicate devices in device manager. There's eight instances of "Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor P family/Core i7 CBDMA Registers 2021"; I've no idea if that is really intended or not. There's also a full ten copies of "Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor P family/Core i7 CHA Registers - 208D" and another ten of "Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor P family/Core i7 CHA Registers - 208E".

There's duplicates of a lot of other stuff too. DECS Channel 2 - 2048 x2 (along with at least a dozen other items also in duplicate), VT-D - 2034 and IOxAPIC Configuration Registers - 2036 has three copies. M2PCI Registers - 2018 appears four times.

...And no, before anyone asks, I don't own any cat. Or any pets actually, no devil budgie giving my PC the evil eye or such.

Btw, let me just say this: FUCK PCs, alright?!

Fucking piece of shit architecture. Fucking piece of shit software. Fuck it all, fuck it some more, smash it to bits with hammers, set it on fire, fuck the ashes.

Btw, let me just say this: FUCK PCs, alright?!

Fucking piece of shit architecture. Fucking piece of shit software. Fuck it all, fuck it some more, smash it to bits with hammers, set it on fire, fuck the ashes.

before you do any of that, please make sure my cat was not in close proximity. I know i know you said you have not cats, but you didnt say my cat didnt visit you. If she does, simply moving her a few meters away should resolve your computer problems, and answers the meaning of life.

anyway, have you looked at the voltages and temperature? Non-clean electricity can result in the things you mentioned. Also try uninstalling the radeon driver and use default windows driver, as you mentioned the problem starts after driver update.

Windows 10?
I'd suggest the Hardware Troubleshooter.
Settings -> Windows Update -> Troubleshoot -> Hardware & Devices.
If its anything like the issue I've fairly frequently had you'll get a message about some hardware not properly installed & you'll be asked to reboot, should behave better after. (I normally run the troublehooter again to be sure)

Got to ask but are all your motherboard drivers installed with latest versions from their website?

before you do any of that, please make sure my cat was not in close proximity.
Don't worry... I'm not going to smash and set fire to my new PC. :LOL: I just get frustrated when things don't want to cooperate, that's all... Besides, we wouldn't want to risk harming your cute lil pussycat now would we?! :)

this seems to be your problem here, go back to the old ones
Old one was the windows default driver; I don't think that's a realistic alternative. :D

Got to ask but are all your motherboard drivers installed with latest versions from their website?
Well, the windows update supplied drivers, yes. I'm about to install intel chipset driver next, because you know, windows update don't always get its shit right (had a Nvidia chipset mobo once that would reliably bluescreen on startup if windows update was allowed to install chipset driver...); however things have worked sufficiently well that I haven't bothered with intel's driver up until now.

Still, that turbo mode thing irks me. Why doesn't it want to work?! :(

@DSoup Btw, I saw what you did there! *wags finger*

Well, the windows update supplied drivers, yes.
So.... no. Let me iterate the first 3 steps of building your own PC since you seemed to have forgotten:

1. Assemble PC
2. Install OS
3. Install drivers

You need to go to your motherboard's driver page and download every single driver for all the components and install them.

Calm down! I'm taking things a step at a time. I just paused halfway through step 3, because there were no critical exclamation marks in the device manager... :p

Usually when I have experience weird hitches like that it has been a failing disk.

Listen to some music played back with the pc. What happens to the music when the you experience the hitch? If it skips and crackles, you could be having DPC latency issues. They are usually driver related, try Latencymon and see if it can help you find out which driver it is.

Security software like antivirus and software firewalls can also make trouble for DPC latency.

I vaguely remember having some similar issues on my Ryzen build until I installed the manufacturers NVMe driver.

Yeah I've been having the 'Power surge on the USB port' error recently that thousands (millions?) of users have experienced for years, none of the fixes work, the worse thing is apparently with windows 10 you can suppress the error message (cause it just keeps on popping up) but not on my version of windows 10.
Had a similar thing yesterday trying to use the winodws store (which I've only used a few times before) what a piece of junk, the only way to stop 'we could not install the software' error message was kill the process with task manager ( i was trying to install a MS piece of software no less from their app store)

I'd suggest the Hardware Troubleshooter.
Great tip, man! I'd forgotten all about that thing! It fixed the borked sound device giving me headaches in Device Manager. *cheer!*

I vaguely remember having some similar issues on my Ryzen build until I installed the manufacturers NVMe driver.
Hm, I don't know if there exists such a thing as Intel NVME driver...

(fook me 650mb, thats about the size of windows xp)
Shit yeah, tell me about it... Even the ethernet driver for this mobo is like 350MB in size, and that's compressed zip archive. How the eff is that even possible?!

Hm, I don't know if there exists such a thing as Intel NVME driver...
I'm referring to the drive, not the controller. My Toshiba RD400 specifically installed a driver and monitoring software and improved stability and performance.

And the wheel of time spins, one problem replaces another...

Was forced today to pull one of my GPUs; for some time now the PC have become increasingly erratic and unstable when both GPUs are detected in windows. Apparently suddenly the secondary GPU disconnects or otherwise vanishes from the system for no obvious reason; PC hardcrashes and must be reset. After reboot, the secondary GPU is gone; it's not found by either UEFI BIOS or windows plug and play enumerator. With just one GPU, the system performs flawlessly, but this is of course unsatisfactory when I have two GPUs physically installed... This state persists until PC is rebooted again, when it reappears, and then PC crashes anew some time later (within minutes, now).

I was hoping it might be because of a driver issue (because if it's hardware it means lengthy and annoying RMA process); so when latest adrenalin driver posted I tried installing it. Unfortunately, the "clean" driver install process reboots the system, and the PC crashed before driver had time to fully install. This led to much headache, because half-installed driver caused driver install program to fail, and other fun fun PC-windows-related nonsense/bullshit. Longstoryshort; primary GPU amputated, the secondary GPU moved up to primary PCIe slot, ran AMD driver cleaner, december release of adrenalin installed (since february version seemed generally fussy and uncooperative.)

Everything works fine. It's not the secondary Vega* which is borked it would seem as I've been gaming on it now for hours. Might have been bad connection in PCIe slot, or bad motherboard (there are multiple PCIe switch ICs located between slots and CPU socket; might have a bad one), or there is a bad connection in the CPU socket (unfortunate mote of dust perhaps who knows), or perhaps some lane/s in the PCIe root hub in the CPU are borked.

Next step will be sticking the secondary Vega back into the secondary slot - still as the lone GPU installed though. See what happens, if anything at all. But that will have to wait for tomorrow. It's a quarter to two in the morning here now. Mehh...

*I am lucky, considering Vega shortages right now. If the secondary GPU was bad it would probably have meant weeks at least of waiting for a replacement card.

Back