Anyone own a Nook ?

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
Hey guys , with the price drops of the nook to $200/$150 (wifi only) and the kindle 2 at $189. I'm going to pick one up.

I'm looking at the nook mostly because of the sd slot and changeable battery. Along with the more open nature of the formats it reads and the second touch screen for navigation.

I'm wondering if anyone owns one and can tell me if they like it and what if any improvements there were in terms of refresh and general system lag in the latest patch this monday ?

I've been trying to decide what reader to buy my wife. I really like the features of the Nook far more than the Kindle, I'm just worried about how much Amazon is throwing advertising the way of the Kindle and how much that can have an affect on peoples minds. More well known != better. The last thing I want is for my wife to have a useless brick because B&N decided to discontinue.

I've been trying to decide what reader to buy my wife. I really like the features of the Nook far more than the Kindle, I'm just worried about how much Amazon is throwing advertising the way of the Kindle and how much that can have an affect on peoples minds. More well known != better. The last thing I want is for my wife to have a useless brick because B&N decided to discontinue.

I doubt Barnes and Noble will discountinue it. Its thier future. Today my buddy dropped his off so I can borrow it. Went to Barnes and noble and got a free ice coffee drink and they had a bunch of free books to download.

So far I like it more than my two days with a kindle. It controls far better . I like that battery is switchable and there is an sd slot for more storage space.

I'm most likely going to buy this. Have to make sure no one is buying it for my birthday tho.

If you can, might consider holding off until this holiday season.

B&N will start selling a flexible and light magazine sized e-reader that is able to access the same electronic store as the nook.

I've been using Sony Readers for the past 5+ years, but this one (my 3rd) is going to be the last. Quality has gone down. Battery life has gone down. Bleh.

I'm going to wait for the new wave of thin and light magazine size readers to replace it. And still wish someone would make a waterproof or water resistent e-reader. Miss reading books while taking a long soak in a hot tub...

Regards,
SB

If I remember when I get home I'll try to look it up again. I found the article a month or two back when someone (Mfa I think?) mentioned an alternative display technology to e-ink in one of the threads in the handheld technology forum.

Started googling around about that and found the article about the other e-reader that B&N will allow to use their electronic store. But off to work for now, zoom zoom.

Regards,
SB

Bought a Kindle for my gf last christmas. She loves it. Battery lasts forever, esp with 3G off and it's got all she wanted in an e-book reader. It helps that Amazon's customer service is absolutely amazing.

If I remember when I get home I'll try to look it up again. I found the article a month or two back when someone (Mfa I think?) mentioned an alternative display technology to e-ink in one of the threads in the handheld technology forum.

Started googling around about that and found the article about the other e-reader that B&N will allow to use their electronic store. But off to work for now, zoom zoom.

Regards,
SB

Thanks. I'm not sure if it really matters for me. The current nook does everything I would need it to do. I'm hoping if i buy it now i can use it for 4-5 years and then get a tablet with a color e-ink display with a good res and refresh :)

Most likely I wil lget the nook and start buying books on it (as the series i'm reading are all $10 bucks a book cheaper on the nook then in the store so 20 books with $10 savings and the device pays for itself). Then next year as the tablet arena settles I can buy one of those.

Here it is...

http://www.plasticlogic.com/

It's a sexy little (large) ereader optimized for newspapers and magazines. I can't remember if it was this one or another of the upcoming thin and lights that will also support PDF.

There's also a company prototyping a color e-reader using that alternative display technology, too tired to go tracking that one down at the moment. :p

Regards,
SB

Well my wife's birthday is coming up in a few weeks, so I think I'll get the Nook for her.

Thank you for joining Beyond 3D, I dearly hope the small effort in registering for the forum was worth the desire to post that awful joke.

I was given a Kindle as a gift around January. It's great. My only complaint is that it can't read epub, so shopping at places other than Amazon is a little difficult. But Amazon has a good selection available. Obviously it's not suited for magazines and colour textbooks, but I definitely prefer a proper e-reader with e-ink over an LCD display for straight up reading any day. The Kindle 3 looks pretty nice, and Nook looks great too. Not sure you could really go wrong with either.

Back