Anthem [PS4, XO, PC]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by iroboto, Jul 5, 2018.

1. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

The reality bites harder than a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
    Maybe we'll get a patch for next gen consoles for all that reveal trailer lighting and what not.

orangpelupa likes this.
  2. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

This is the mission I could play actually: if you look around close to the switches, you find the colored signs displayed at a wall and then you know which sign to put in. The red sign for instance is left to the switch at the wall on top. It took me also a while to figure it out :)

3. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

Now that I cooled down a bit and Sony processed my preorder cancel, I was thinking about the gamedesign issues I had. I was not really sure if somehow the demo is old and some gamedesigns will change for launch...but the following observations make me worried about the game right now:

(i) It seems to me that you only get the loot at the end(!) of a mission...and not in-between. You cannot actually see directly what you got, or use directly what you got. This seems to be true for all loot, not just legendaries as in Destiny. I googled and it seem to be really by intention. For me personally, I am very sketpic about this decision. I do love in Diablo 3 that i get loot left and right and can change my setup on the fly during a mission (except for greater rifts that are kinda time attack runs with fixed gear). The same goes for javelin abilities. It seem to decrease the immediate joy of recieving a new goody loot during the game. But isnt't a looter shooter all about the loot and the upgrades? I know it is my personal preference, but I am a bit baffled about this decision.

(ii) Now that I think about it, another gamedesign decision I googled and seem to be true: it seems that you get XP also only after the mission. Also, it seems that the XP is somewhat tied to the time you spend in the mission, and not tied to actually killing stuff, or doing tasks/challenges etc. I know that typically RPG games give you experience afterwards for the accomplished mission...but you typically also get XP during the actual mission while doing things. Direct response and direct reward for playing. Again, doesn't it decrease the joy during actual play if you get rid of this mechanic? Furthermore, it already happens in the beta (god knows why people do this stuff) that some AFKers joined sessions apparently and just sit there and waited there to gain XP. In some cases, this even broke the boss missions apparently, as the AFKer did not help to activate the boss fight or something like this.

Seems another game that is released as an payed alpha, with the task for millions of early adopters to help debug and iterate on gameplay, balance, gamedesign.

4. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

jfc. Could have saved me an hour of grief. :sleeping: :yelling: :oops:

I was hoping there'd be some clever puzzle to decipher.

5. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

http://blog.bioware.com/2019/01/28/anthem-vip-demo-weekend-summary/

Heh, well... maybe I should treat this like a typical CD PR launch. :V

6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

game is for casual playing, lol don't over think it

TheAlSpark likes this.
  7. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

They really need to make the clues more easily noticeable tho.

I can't find the color emblem on any wall when i play thru remoteplay. Everything blends together and cluttered

The same with the whole mission where the game tells you to activate X, indicated by flashing green radar

The object of interest blends with the environment.

Maybe I'm simply too accustomed with destiny and zelda botw level design where it's often clear to see where the mission / puzzle wants you to go

TheAlSpark likes this.
  8. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed with the context sensitive activation of items. It's not forgiving enough. Takes me 5 seconds too long to realize what the sound indicator is trying to get me to focus on, and when I do, the player cannot be standing on top of it.

orangpelupa likes this.
  9. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

The radar also only shows 2d location despite the game have tons of verticality

Destiny with tiiiiiiny verticality even have 3d compass (pull out ghost). Zelda botw have obvious entrances/peak for hidden shrines

10. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

No triangular markers or shapes to show verticality?

11. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

Nope. The compass only shows green "radar" that looks like RSS icon but green.

12. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

This vid sounds very positive

Played apparently a newer build at an event.

Man, I rly like this game to be decent. Come on Bioware, you can do it!

Karamazov likes this.
  13. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

i don't like how the game looks washed out in shadowed zones, whereas sunlit zones are looking colorful and beautiful.
    Almost looks like there is a lighting problem.

14. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Do we know anything about the planet it's on. I was kinda hoping it'd be the planet at the end of Andromeda in the far future. :V

15. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

16. pharma

Veteran Regular

17. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

yeah there is a lot of room for improvement, at least on Xbox one X

18. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

Maybe due to my fever but I still thinks anthem is a confusing cluttered, mess.

The way the loadings was presented also disorienting. As it was pretty jarring, took a while, and put you on a different location than when you initiate the loading

Also the sudden achievement thingy that pops up really breaks the game flow. I'll look for an option to disable it later

RenegadeRocks and TheAlSpark like this.
  19. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

The game crashed twice during the cave mission for a group of us. The first crash was during some heavy combat and while we were going to fetch some canister thing. We all were able to rejoin the same session, but then it hard locked again. Then on the third try, it turned out we couldn't finish the objective because one of the mission critical items disappeared entirely.

We then tried to do a Free Play, but it also locked up during the load screen and was also very very long to load things along.

Xbox version - seemed a lot more unstable IME than when I played on PC. Also got hit by some recurring "teleporting to area" problem during the initial mission while on foot -> had to fly higher or some weird nonsense.

It's a pretty poor demo, like it was meant for the press with a developer to hold your hand.

On PC, I had very few problems though I spent a lot more time learning things on Easy - I feel that Normal is just too difficult for lvl 10 and starting with nothing, and it certainly doesn't help that the tips/hints are mostly useless.

#99 TheAlSpark, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  20. RenegadeRocks

Legend

It's a strange one. On one side I like teh gameplay sometimes a lot but on the other hand everything feels messy and unpolished .
    And stuff starts feeling old soon. Also makes me realize how much destiny is as a core gameplay .
    I am interested for the fact that abilities can be changed and slotted like gear and classes feel different. I think it will be fun the first time around....staying power? Not sure .
    As for characters and story: for now it falls flat for me.