AnandTech's turn with the GeForceFX.

Hmm...as I said, Anand has been switching to the ATI bandwagon, but he atleast manages, for the most part, to get out a balanced comparison. It is just that his screwups, to me, all seem to screw over nVidia.

Some thoughts:

His mention of minimum fps as reported by UT2k3 (*poke at MuFu*) is still just as much a distortion as ever. He acknowledges their pitfalls when reporting the Serious Sam minimum fps, but that mention belonged with the UT2k3 benchmark results, or should have precluded them. Atleast I can look forward to fps versus time elsewhere... But, in any case, the results, along with ATI leading at low resolutions (CPU limited) indicates just how excellent ATI's driver focus has been since the 9700 Pro's launch. It has been a pleasure to watch issues being recognized and addressed over in the Rage3D forums, and in that sense atleast some past due recognition has been granted.

I agree with the praise and criticism of his aniso comparison. Overall, it's a good comparison (almost as good as my favorite comparison to date, which is from a review Ratchet did over at Rage3D as far as the image quality shots), except for the major screw up of a lack of consideration of trilinear filtering (seems Anand is a bit of a fair weather friend with his screwups...). It is a valid point that ATI's performance aniso looks very good and much better than whatever "Aggressive" aniso is, but it seems likely that he completely distorted the picture and the GF FX should have been emphasized to be leading in fps with trilinear on in many benchmarks (with the good image quality comparison prior, this would have been in proper perspective with the 9700 still offering a significant lead with Performance aniso).

If it weren't for the trilinear screw up (that seems to me very major), I'd actually have liked that review quite a bit.

Nagorak said:
I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I heard the higher output of the fan kick in. Maybe they can market it as a feature though...it really pulls you into the game when that engine stars roaring (at least if you happen to play racing games or maybe flight sims ).

hahahahahahaha !!!

Millennium said:
Nagorak said:
I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I heard the higher output of the fan kick in. Maybe they can market it as a feature though...it really pulls you into the game when that engine stars roaring (at least if you happen to play racing games or maybe flight sims ).
hahahahahahaha !!!
I do have to say that if one of these cards finds its way into my system, I'll probably find my incentive, very quickly, to get a water-cooling system...

Yes, there is some pretty good hope, with the precedent with Hercules and the water block on a 9700 as an example, that someone might sell a version configured for that, and that would be a nice way to get around the entire noise issue.

On the other hand, the ultra card seems just plain crazy for marketing to more mainstream consumers (who wouldn't be interested in setting up a waterblock or be able to afford a specialty pre-built PC). I'd be worried about creating a negative impression with the noise level, and I can't see the Ultra getting a lot of design wins (but hey, maybe they wouldn't mind customer service calls about a computer being louder than expected). Is there reason to believe that an OEM can come up with a non-water block/non-noisy fan solution? I'd be surprised if the Zalman heat pipe could handle the cooling, but maybe in combination with a quieter fan?

Yet, on the other hand (don't ask me where this hand came from, just go with it), I don't think the future of the nv30 is so bad...the low-k process is bound to be done sometime, and that could possibly address the cooling issue pretty well. It is primarily a matter of when and with whom the problems lie (nVidia's design, or the foundry's production). Looking at the delays, it seems likely to me that the expectation for the low-k process initially is a likely cause, and that migrating wouldn't take much new work at all (and if the yield issues with low-k are completely resolved on the process side, maybe effectively no additional work)....but that is assuming there aren't problems in their design for low-k. Not that the 9700 series will be getting any worse during this time period.

And, again, I see no reason for the nv35 to be delayed assumign 0.13 process issues are not a significant factor for it as they seem to have been for the nv30.

demalion said:
Yet, on the other hand (don't ask me where this hand came from, just go with it), I don't think the future of the nv30 is so bad...the low-k process is bound to be done sometime, and that could possibly address the cooling issue pretty well.
Hrm, I thought it was silicon-on-insulator that nVidia missed? Well, regardless, the more advanced process will almost certainly be made available for the NV35, when we can look forward to slightly higher performance without the excessive heat/power consumption.

Chalnoth said:
I do have to say that if one of these cards finds its way into my system, I'll probably find my incentive, very quickly, to get a water-cooling system...

You're going to watercool every single RAM chip?

I think the fan needs proper game support for it to really be effective, imagine a plane taking off in a game or a race car starting, very realistic sounds. :)

This really is a great review, and yes it is fair enough to downplay the ATi Bilinear Performance AA mostly because the boundaries are pushed back VERY far, to the extent that they really aren't normally noticeable - especially since you'll probably normally be in 8-16x anyway!

Also, the FX really doesn't seem to have gamma correction at all, the edges are brighter on the 9700Pro too.

And finally, one last thing... I wonder how much better R300's Quality AF would perform if the core could do the Trilinear sampling in one cycle? It seems to make a huge difference compared to Performance AF.

Himself said:
I think the fan needs proper game support for it to really be effective, imagine a plane taking off in a game or a race car starting, very realistic sounds. :)

force feedback video cards!

Yeah I was really stunned about Anandtech's review very good and negative to nvidcrap :p Never thought that that was possible...

THE THING I LIKE MOST IS THAT NICE LOGO IN UT2K3 WITH HOW IT IS MENT TO BE PLAYED OR SOMETHING

WELL 9700PRO IS QUITE A BIT FASTER IN THAT GAME ROFL :oops: :p :oops:

How the mighty have fallen.......and when it just is on the shelves oh my god there it is the Gf fx killer Radeon 9900 :devilish:

Or a pair of noise canceling headphones. :D

L233 said:
Chalnoth said:
You're going to watercool every single RAM chip?
It shouldn't be necessary to have individual pads for each ram chip. Here I see two possibilities:

1. Have two pads, one for the front and one for the back, for each set of RAM chips. There's a pic of a Radeon 9700 with such a setup nearby...I think Hercules is looking to make it. Still, that's quite a few tubes.

2. Don't water-cool the RAM. With the CPU and GPU water-cooled, the RAM shouldn't need more than passive cooling. Most of the heat will already be removed from the system. The only bad thing would be that this setup would still require case fans (which may not be a requirement for a water system that cools every hot component).

Chalnoth said:
1. Have two pads, one for the front and one for the back, for each set of RAM chips. There's a pic of a Radeon 9700 with such a setup nearby...I think Hercules is looking to make it. Still, that's quite a few tubes.

2. Don't water-cool the RAM. With the CPU and GPU water-cooled, the RAM shouldn't need more than passive cooling. Most of the heat will already be removed from the system. The only bad thing would be that this setup would still require case fans (which may not be a requirement for a water system that cools every hot component).

Why. :?

Back