An annoying point about [H]

Status
Not open for further replies.
FrgMstr said:
I am standing up for rights granted to me by the Constitution of the United States. I cared about it because I was being repeatedly threatened over removing something that was the truth and mine. Apparently you are not familiar with the document. It can be found here in its original glory.

http://www.archives.gov/national_archives_experience/charters/constitution_zoom_1.html

I have read a lot of things you have written and consider you to be an intelligent person, but your statements above simply offend me and make me question your understanding of the structure of what makes America what it is. So many men and women have given their lives so that we can enjoy the freedoms our country has earned for itself. All I can say is that I am glad that the founders of our country were not of your character, as I doubt we would be having the conversation now.

It is sad that you don't see the forest for the trees.

And yes, I stopped reading your long-winded comment after the paragraph I quoted. At that point I lost respect for you and your opinions.

Kyle, now you're bringing the armed services into it?....;) Here's how it looks to me...

Listen, this is the truth in America: free speech is Constitutionally protected *so long as* it is not fraudulent or libelous speech. Lots of speech is not Constitutionally protected. Fraudulent speech, for instance, is not protected and can often land you in jail (try lying to the IRS in your income tax statement, for instance--uh, if you get caught--or try as an auto manufacturer advertising a 4-cylinder car on television as an 8-cylinder car, and see how much protection the Constitution provides--none!...;) Writing bad checks, for instance, although rarely prosecuted that way, is considered fraudulent speech ( a check constitutes written notice to a retailer that you have the funds indicated by the check), and can land a person in jail. Then there are things like falsifying employment applications, loan applications, etc. ad infinitum--basically, false speech is not Constitutionally protected speech.)

Libel, of course, is not Constitutionally protected speech and while it's not criminal speech--it can, quite Constitutionally, cost you a fortune, should you be sued for libel and lose your case. I am genuinely surprised to even have to mention this, as you ought to know that people were bringing libel suits in the US, and people were losing them and winning them, long before you and I were born. You are not the first sued for libel in the US and certainly will not be the last...;)

In this kind of case, Kyle, it doesn't make any difference whatever if you believe that what you said is true. Your beliefs are irrelevant in such a case. Rather, if you write an article in which you call John Doe a crook in so many words, but you can't actually prove he's a crook--you just think he is--and John Doe decides to disagree with your assessment and sues you for libel--guess what? You have to then prove that everything you said about John Doe was true, and that you knew it to be true when you printed it. OTOH, John Doe does *not* have the burden of proving anything you said about him to be false. Rather, you have to prove that what you said was true. That's why I said from the start that your preemptive lawsuit based on having IL prove your allegations false was never going to fly--because the statute it relies upon in Texas is absolutely not a shield against libel, nor was it intended to be employed as a shield against libel. Accordingly, I always felt you to be the beneficiary of some poor legal advice at the time, and said so.

So the bottom line is this for you as it seems to me: barring that the two of you fail to settle out of court, then you must prove that what you said about IL and its prinicipals was true when you wrote it. If and when you prove that, you are absolutely off the hook and you will win the case. As well, if you can prove that what you said was based on an honest error or series of errors, and you can demonstrate to the court how you made those errors, then you are also off the hook, as *error* is indeed a total and utter defense against libel charges. "I erred when I called him a crook because I was mislead by this and this and that..." is a watertight defense against libel provided you can convince the court that it was reasonably possible for you to have reached your erroneous conclusions based on erroneous sources. So through either of these two avenues you can completely exonerate yourself provided you can demonstrate them to the court, imo.

Additionally, libel suits by nature are very hard to win. Even if you cannot prove that you had *proof* IL was crooked when you wrote about IL, it's not enough for IL that you can't prove it. IL then has the burden of proving to the court that it was damaged, and to prove by how much it was damaged in dollar amounts by your libelous speech. If cannot prove your speech damaged it, then it doesn't really matter if your speech is considered libelous, IL cannot expect an award from the court related to your libelous speech. However, the adjudication of attorney's fees might well be a horse of a different color.

It's precisely because libel is so hard to prove or to win a judgement on that tabloid newspapers regularly write the kinds of garbage that they write about celebrities. They think, and not without justification, that the complexity and expense of a plaintiff winning a libel suit against them presents such a high bar that they can proceed with impunity. But often celebrities will call their bluff and sue for libel anyway and win--as people like Tom Cruise and Michael Douglas and many others have done in the recent past. So, just because the bar for winning a libel suit is high for the libeled party, that does not mean it cannot be reached and that libel suits cannot be won.

Basically, Constitutionally protected speech is not a license to write negative, damaging commentary about individuals or corporations for which *you have no proof.* Basically, if you can prove it you can write it...;) If you write things like that which you cannot prove then you might well wind up on the wrong end of a libel suit, right? I mean, you now unfortunately know this first-hand.

Just based on the documents made public by [H] over the course of this matter as I read them, I can see one area of particular difficulty for you in this matter, at least as being able to beg off the whole thing as simply a matter of honest error on your part, error which you fell into from erroneous public sources of information over which you had no control or influence. That is, it appears from those documents that prior to any lawsuits being filed by anyone you were personally invited by the IL principals to visit Florida and tour the IL facilities, perhaps even at their expense, to allow them to show you first hand what they were doing.

Although you might necessarily have had to sign an NDA in the process, you would have at least been able to personally verify whether or not the Phantom was indeed a phantom in reality. But according to those documents I read, it would appear as if you refused all such offers extended you by IL, even though Florida was merely one state away from you geographically. It's possible that a judge might see your refusal as a deliberate refusal to entertain any information which was contrary to your own personal opinion, even information supplied in such a direct and personal fashion by the company itself. Thus, if my impression here is correct, it's going to be very difficult to use the error shield, since you had opportunity to have any such errors of perception on your part corrected prior to any suits being filed, but you chose to ignore the opportunity. (Just my opinion, based solely on what documents [H] has published about this matter.)

That is why since [H] brought this whole thing to light in the beginning I've been saying the same thing: settle this as quickly as possible. If you turn it into a pissing match you may be the one who...gets wet...;)

A lot of us in the US grow up with an ideal notion about the way courts work--we kind of think they work like Perry Mason where "the truth" always carries the day in the end and the bad guy confesses just in the nick of time...;) But I learned decades ago that a wise man stays out of court--even if he has to eat a little crow from time to time...;) "Pride goeth before the fall," as the Good Book says. When it comes to civil court, no kidding--it's a lot easier to eat your pride than it is to eat a court judgement against you...:D In court, unfortunately, "the truth" and "the proof" are not always congruent, and it's "the proof" presented that carries the day. Doesn't work like that for Perry Mason, but it unfortunately does for just about everybody else.

Again, best wishes, and I hope you guys can settle this out of court, as I've said from the start. Standing by what you write as a journalist is a double-edged sword, never forget. When you stand behind it, you also have to stand behind whatever consequences it brings you, too. That's why the Journalist's First Rule is 'Responsibility': never write what you cannot prove as if you could, but only write what you can prove before you write it. Follow that rule and I guarantee you it will keep such troubles as these at bay in the future--or at least make them far more manageable should they arise.

Unknown Soldier said:
Yes but a casual browser who might stumble upon the site might not read what he said and just instead look at the pictures.......
US

Then perhaps said browser deserves to purchase a substandard card? Stupidity should be properly rewarded, after all.

LR

Walt, which statements in particular cant he proove exactly? Leaving out the possibility of outright lies about his personal experiences I dont see him stating anything which he cannot prove.

MfA said:
Walt, which statements in particular cant he proove exactly? Leaving out the possibility of outright lies about his personal experiences I dont see him stating anything which he cannot prove.

It's not to me or you that he has to prove anything--it's in court where he'll have to prove it according to the court's satisfaction. The point I've been making is that when in court there's a whole other set of rules regarding evidence as to what constitutes "proof" and what does not...;) That's entirely distinct from what may be "true," remember...;) Better therefore to stay out of court if at all possible. Although I haven't seen anything of the trial briefs and motions, of course, the judge will decide what [H] needs to prove and then define what the nature of that proof must be. In court it is entirely different than it may appear in the arena of public opinion.

Obviously, IL is of the opinion that [H] has things to prove--else they would not not have sued for libel. You'd find "what he has to prove" in the court briefs IL filed when bringing the suit which, I don't believe, have been made public(?).

So? As you said, this isnt a tv show ... the judge does have common sense, it isnt all about rules lawyering and hairsplitting. If there is nothing even in there which can be seen to require proof why are you so ready to put your money on the suit having merit?

(At least as far as libel is concerned, and not disparaging speech and such ... which is well beyond common sense, but unfortunately is common law.)

LabRat said:
Unknown Soldier said:
Yes but a casual browser who might stumble upon the site might not read what he said and just instead look at the pictures.......
US

Then perhaps said browser deserves to purchase a substandard card? Stupidity should be properly rewarded, after all.

LR

True .. but it's still all misleading.

US

MfA said:
So? As you said, this isnt a tv show ... the judge does have common sense, it isnt all about rules lawyering and hairsplitting. If there is nothing even in there which can be seen to require proof why are you so ready to put your money on the suit having merit?

(At least as far as libel is concerned, and not disparaging speech and such ... which is well beyond common sense, but unfortunately is common law.)

Where did I mention anything about the suit being thrown out? I don't recall ever mentioning that. Whether the suit will be thrown out isn't up to me or you, of course, and my point was that what seems "common sense" to you may be utterly beside the point to the judge in the proceedings. "Common sense" often plays no part in court proceedings...;) (Which is why I so ardently recommend people avoid court like the plague if at all possible.)

I have no idea whether it will be thrown out at some future date. It could well be, or it could be dismissed because the parties agree to settle, too. I have no idea about that. All I can proceed on in stating my opinions is that it has not yet been thrown out although I'm sure [H]'s lawyers have not been lax about making motions to dismiss (which either have been rejected by the judge or else are still under consideration.) One point to all of this that I've tried (I guess unsuccessfully) to make since the beginning is that even if the suit is indeed thrown out--the lawyer's fees won't be, nor will any associated court costs accumulated up to that point in time, etc.

In court, nothing is certain or predictible. People who think it is will invariably be disappointed to learn otherwise. It's an unfortunate person indeed who approaches a civil suit with the idea that his position is a "slam dunk"--that almost never happens as the other side usually has a huge chest of monkey wrenches it is eager to throw into the works. Unless you are an attorney getting paid by the billable hour, these kinds of suits are rarely "fun" for either side.

A tactic often used for instance by well-heeled parties whose position is demonstrably inferior to the other party's is to bury the proceedings under mountains of motions and other types of paper work, a tactic which has the effect of slowing the process down and adding considerable legal expenses for both sides--it's unfortunate but some civil suits are "won" by one party simply throwing more money at the process than the other to the degree that the party with the superior position simply has to quit while he can afford to lose. These sorts of suits aren't pretty and that's why I recommend avoiding them at all costs. It's probably too late now, of course, but it wold have been child's play, it seems to me, for [H] to have easily diffused this before it ever got to the public lawsuit phase.

You know, so what if you have to make a retraction here and there along the way? Most of the top news magazines and papers in the world have at one time or another made retractions about various things--because nobody's perfect and *everybody* makes mistakes. But anyway, hindsight is always 20/20. My hope is that [H] will find a way to end this nonsense quickly for its own sake. Life is really too short for this kind of thing, imo (unless you are a civil litigator by trade and make your living by such cases, of course.)

WaltC said:
MfA said:
You know, so what if you have to make a retraction here and there along the way? Most of the top news magazines and papers in the world have at one time or another made retractions about various things--because nobody's perfect and *everybody* makes mistakes. But anyway, hindsight is always 20/20. My hope is that [H] will find a way to end this nonsense quickly for its own sake. Life is really too short for this kind of thing, imo (unless you are a civil litigator by trade and make your living by such cases, of course.)

I did not have time for your long winded post above when you started basing your argument on hypothetical and the way you see things. The fact of the matter is you don't have mucy solid information about the case you are speaking about and it shows.

I did however take the time to read your closing paragraph quoted above. And again, it simply makes me glad that we did not have people of your character penning the Constitution of the United States. But to rip your statements to shreds:

1. HardOCP has retracted and apologized profusely in the past when we were wrong. We will likely do it again, but I am sure not doing it unless we are wrong. Any moron with half a brain can read our article Behind the Infinium Labs Console and check the facts for themselves, we structured the links in the article so the readers could do just that. I will make the same claim that I made to IL repeatedly. SHOW ME WHERE IT IS WRONG AND WE WILL CHANGE IT. (That has never happened.)

2. We can only hope your life it too short to stand up for the things you believe in...mine however is not. Good day and thanks for confirming my loss of respect for you. I got a feeling there are not too many folks you know that will buy you a beer. I have a far greater chance of being wrong about that than our IL article from September of last year.

EDIT by Reverend : I think Kyle meant to quote WaltC above, which is what WaltC wrote instead of MfA. Understandable mistake since I myself usually get frustrated with most of WaltC's posts.

The only thing that really annoys me about [H] is that the graph titles aren't exactly easy to read. Color schemes and all make them seem funky.

The Baron said:
The only thing that really annoys me about [H] is that the graph titles aren't exactly easy to read. Color schemes and all make them seem funky.
Ok, after reading the 6600 review there today I can't argue.

That burgandy/brown on black you had to see with the flourescent yellow burning itself in no matter how hard you tried to ignore it just made my poor eyes bleed! Their graph color schemes make baby jeebus cry! :cry:

Not a big nasty complaint, but certainly a bit of a legit one.

FrgMstr said:
2. We can only hope your life it too short to stand up for the things you believe in...

Notwithstanding the motivation, that was probably the single most low-life comment I've read on B3D in quite awhile. Suggest the thread be closed, please.

The Baron said:

Yes, these last graphs sucked. They will not appear in that format again. Thanks for the suggestion.

kemosabe said:
FrgMstr said:
2. We can only hope your life it too short to stand up for the things you believe in...

Notwithstanding the motivation, that was probably the single most low-life comment I've read on B3D in quite awhile. Suggest the thread be closed, please.

It was a brash comment meant to very much characterize my value of him to society.

My comment is based on something that Ben Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety..." If you don't have safety, you surely will not enjoy life. I believe that anyone that will not stand up for their rights in the USA, at the very least in spirit, doesn't really deserve to enjoy them. If you would not give your life to fight for your rights and your children's rights, then you deserve neither rights nor life. WaltC's thinking has led to persecution and genocide all over the planet. WaltC's thinking is at the basis of cowardice and lack of character. People that think the way he does cannot be trusted with any responsibility, much less be a holder of freedom. And thank goodness he is not. If I applied his thinking, would this cowardice and lack of character bring such a horrible outcome in this matter...certainly not. But as stated before, I am very glad that he was not one of the founders of our country.

As for life being too short for fighting for our rights. It spewed from his mouth, I was only wishing him along to making sure he reached his goal. Bottom line is that is disgusts me to have to share the planet with someone like him. There are a lot of us that have to stand up for what is right, and I am all for the ones that are too weak or old or unable to enjoy what a few get to fight for. But show me one of those people, which likely WaltC is one that do not believe in the principles that delivered those rights and freedoms then I would be just fine seeing them move along.

For all the intelligence that WaltC might possess, it obvious that he does not "see the forest for the trees," but certainly "the easy way out" is something that he is familiar with.

Good grief, I don't care to hear any more. Invoking the things you do is completely out of context to the arguments WaltC was making. Regardless of whether you have good reason to disagree with him or not, you're proving to be your own worst character witness.

I still think this thread should be closed. :rolleyes:

Well Kyle, most people here have lost respect for you a long time ago so I wonder why we still have to endure your childish attacks here.

I'm sure your cheap rhetoric will be appreciated much more by the teenage population at your own forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back