AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Nemo, May 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Nemo

Newcomer

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659-2.html

If its true I will wait for 295X :twisted:

2. lanek

Veteran

- Even if the TI is less noisy of let say an IceQ HIS cooler, what could be the difference ? 1DB ? 0,5DB ? we will starting put a second line in the fps average review with DB in games ? counting the 0,7 -1% difference of cooler noise ?... ( its not an hasard if i use the IceQ comparaison, it is not really the more silent, but it have been tested on an 290x, result 63°C max under crysis ( could be less, i dont know if this custom build is really working well in term of contact with the chip ( different orientation and the 290x is bigger )..

Ofc, then again, against an overclocked 780TI ( EVGA FTW etc ), it will depend the clock ( the noise, even if 1DB more.. huum, its start to look more like a paranoia story, lets chase the 0,1db difference ), faster ok, but then i doubt they will sell it under 700$ so you end again with the price who enter in count, peoples will buy what they want for there buck.. and all depend what gain we are speaking.. could be 10%, could be less, could be more.

#1962 lanek, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  3. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Using that decibel converter I've found here http://www.mogami.com/e/cad/db.html , 0.5dB is a 12% difference and 1 dB is a 26% difference.
    That's probably not much to the ear, barely discernable but when you get to 5dB or more between two different cards or profiles that's getting quite huge.

4. no-X

Veteran

It is, but only in some games. In some cases (not rarely) you have to increase fan speed above 55 % to achieve stable 1GHz clock-speed.

5. FUDie

Regular

A 10dB increase means 10x as much sound pressure but only about twice as loud to your ear. A 5dB difference is noticeable but not hugely so. See here.

-FUDie

6. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Thanks, that's a great page there.

7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

No. Sound pressure doubles every 6 dB, not every dB. About 10 dB "louder" is what's usually perceived as "twice as loud", though.

8. FUDie

Regular

Read what I said again.

-FUDie

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

"A 10dB increase means 10x as much sound pressure"
    I believe that reads "10dB increase means 10x as much sound pressure", as in 20dB would mean 10x sound pressure compared to 10dB, which is incorrect, as 6dB doubles the sound pressure, as in 16 dB has 2x the sound pressure compared to 10 dB?

10. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

For the kind of stuff we measure here, a doubling is +3dB not +6dB. And if we're saying that, then doubling three times, 8x ratio, is +9dB. By whatever mathematical coincidence, 10 dB for 10x is cromulent with 3dB for 2x. (actually +3dB is x1.995)

This page deals with +3dB vs +6dB, the latter happens when dealing with voltage, especially audio voltage
    "Does combining two identical signals result in a 3dB or a 6dB increase? The answer is “yes”!"
    http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/3-6db/
    So now I can sort of tell why 16bit digital sound is said to have 96dB dynamic range and not 48dB. Voltage dB are different, it's like sound dB (dB SPL) double twice as fast as voltage dB.

The ear is logarithmic too but flattens things more, it's nice to hear a doubling is +10dB (though that's assuredly an inaccurate, rough, subjective measurement)

11. FUDie

Regular

You're wrong.

It's a logarithmic scale. 10dB = 10 deciBels = 1 Bel = 1 factor of 10. The difference from 10dB to 20dB is the same as 100 dB to 110 dB, i.e. 10x as much sound pressure in either case.

If you want to know what is twice as much sound pressure, simply solve 10^x = 2. In other words, x = log_10 2 = .3 (roughly) which is equivalent to 3 dB.

As I said before, to your ear, 10dB, a factor of 10 more sound pressure, is about twice as loud.

-FUDie

12. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I think he knows that it's logarithmic. But in some cases or fields of work you may have to care about +6 or -6dB rather than +3 or -3dB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel#Voltage

13. DavidGraham

Veteran

Hexus tests use FC3 which is throttled by the uber 290x.

Don't get me wrong, I said in a previous post that both GPUs are so close to each other that clocks will be the only differentiator between them, I just think that 780Ti still has more room to increase clock speeds than 290X, without significantly having out of proportion power/heat/noise characteristics.780Ti managed to increase core count, also both memory and core clocks over the Titan with relative ease, all while using the same cooler.

In the end I guess time will tell, we won't have to wait for long too.

FC3 is an exception. it is throttled even at the uber mode, Skyrim too.

14. jimbo75

Veteran

Tech Report also has the 780 Ti drawing >20W more with Skyrim (and being slower overall than the 290X Uber).

15. DavidGraham

Veteran

Techreport's final charts are for price/performance not raw performance alone. Skyrim is also being throttled by Uber 290X.

16. jimbo75

Veteran

Yes but you can see using the Y axis that the 290X has better performance, at least in frame times. The Ti wins in average fps though, which is somewhat odd.

If the 290X is throttling in some games then performance will also be down.

Anandtech's results can be thrown out as they compare vs the 290X quiet mode btw. Edit on seconds thoughts I'm unsure if this will be in future reviews or also counts for the conclusion in this one.

17. boxleitnerb

Regular

Why should Anandtechs results be thrown out? Quiet mode is the default mode, it is AMDs choice. Are we trying to make unfair comparisons again?

18. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

Improving air outflow on the Radeon R9 290X, all hail Dremel

[​IMG]

https://twitter.com/codinghorror/status/393877070117220352/photo/1

I have two 290X in crossfire and both of 'em have this easy mod. *Massively* improves cooling performance, reduces noise, and keeps the cards at 1000 Mhz even over long play sessions.

http://techreport.com/discussion/25...-ti-graphics-card-reviewed?post=776154#776154

:lol:

yeah, the massive power differential in some reviews(70-100W) does not seem normal, perhaps something funky is going on with the voltage control.

19. thatdude90210

Regular

Heh, that's pretty hardcore. Maybe one can get a similar result by drawing the hot air from the stock vent with duct and fan.

20. fellix

Veteran

Yea, the exhaust is probably too tidy, with the stacked pair of DIV ports, for all the heat to escape in time.

Custom coolers should really unlock more potential.