AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

I wish someone from AMD would confirm that the next series will not be on 20nm, it seems to be the only way to stop people gaining unrealistic expectations.

I wish someone from AMD would confirm that the next series will not be on 20nm, it seems to be the only way to stop people gaining unrealistic expectations.

What unrealistic expectations you see in releasing the Firepro based on "hawaii" first on 28nm and not the consumer parts ( and instead release Maui first ( the so called 9500 anniversary card ) .. and then die shrink "Hawai" in 2014 on 20nm.. nobody speak about SP or performance...

because today, there#s a serious problem of timing, if they release something in 28nm right now, they will be hit by maxwell in 20nm in Q2 2014. So all depend the strategy they will take, release the middle range cards ( Maui ) in 28nm, release an update on FirePro ( 28nm ), going then on 20nm > and release both a die shrink of this Firepro ( who will let them push more SP on the die shrink ) and the Hawai "consumer " at the same time in 20nm ... because it is impossible they release their next series on 28nm and dont die shrink it in 2014 for goes against Maxwell.

I dont say this is the strategy have adopt AMD.. but it can be plausible.

If you reflexion was based about the " counter Nvidia" .. well, it was not really about the performance of the K6000.. but they need something a bit more performant, not on the 7000$ price point, but maybe on the 4000-5000$ price point .. The K6000 will not be available before a while on OEM ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course 28 nm, AMD will perhaps have anything ready on next-gen process a year later.

Ok, Charlie as always is exaggerating.

Nvidia has GTX 780 and Titan for many months already without any response from AMD (except perhaps today's with 7990 pricing).

Hawaii is not going to humiliate Titan nor GTX 780 and make them obsolete. No way.

I stopped reading charlies drivel years ago so that's the first piece I've read from him in a long while but damn, I think he's actually got more biased than he used to be! Dont get me wrong, I'd love to see AMD launch a GPU next month that's noticeably faster than Titan at a reasonable price but I think it's a long shot without a node decrease. But even if they manage it, what's the deal with slating NV for having nothing to compete with it while ignoring that the same has been the case in nv's favour since Titan launched?

Nvidia has GTX 780 and Titan for many months already without any response from AMD (except perhaps today's with 7990 pricing).
How exactly is this a surprise? When was the last time when AMD actually competed against NVIDIA with "monolith chips"?
Sure, NVIDIA really got a success story with GK104 and it's size, but it lacked compute capabilities compared to GK110 & Tahiti, and Tahiti was never big enough to compete GK110, just like no chip from AMD has been since "forever" (HD4000 was the "official" sweetspot strategy starts here chip I think?)

That ended with Cypress, afterwards neither Cayman, nor Tahiti can be considered as sweet spot cards. Pricing on those have always sucked big way.

How exactly is this a surprise? When was the last time when AMD actually competed against NVIDIA with "monolith chips"?
Sure, NVIDIA really got a success story with GK104 and it's size, but it lacked compute capabilities compared to GK110 & Tahiti, and Tahiti was never big enough to compete GK110, just like no chip from AMD has been since "forever" (HD4000 was the "official" sweetspot strategy starts here chip I think?)

Cant really say the 780 is a beast on computing. DP rate is 1/24 and the performance on SP is not really good ( and in most case not even faster of a Ghz edition ( FMA / MAD: 3977 / 4633 vs 4301 Gflops on the Ghz).. Titan is another story.. both cards have been released a long time after the ghz edition.

i still regret AMD dont take the risk to release an massive chip directly...

Note i join other i will not even read charlie..

Update 8/7/13 @ 4pm: AMD has clarified that it is the Hawaii/Volcanic Islands tech day in September, not the launch. The launch will officially happen in Q4 some time, the dates in this article are our speculation.

Pitty the press for having to go to Hawaii ....

The big question os how big AMD wants to go. GK110 is huge, can they match it with a chip that is 100mm² smaller?

Hawaii is most definitely AMD's (and former ati's) largest GPU. i am expecting a 450 - 470 sq mm. AMD must have been forced to go 28nm becasue 20nm is not available till mid 2014.

Also AMD might not have their 20nm big die flagship out till atleast Aug 2014. AMD might release smaller 20nm GPUs first in June 2014, and then release their big die GPUs. they will be able to tweak the big die designs based on their learning from smaller GPU designs.

Hawaii is most definitely AMD's (and former ati's) largest GPU. i am expecting a 450 - 470 sq mm. AMD must have been forced to go 28nm becasue 20nm is not available till mid 2014.

Also AMD might not have their 20nm big die flagship out till atleast Aug 2014. AMD might release smaller 20nm GPUs first in June 2014, and then release their big die GPUs. they will be able to tweak the big die designs based on their learning from smaller GPU designs.
Launching a couple months after Nvidia should help them, the wafer costs are only getting worse so jumping on the new node as soon as it's available is no longer a priority.

Now we're getting juicy.

Higher than 925mhz supposedly.
Wait, ooh I missed that before.

Significantly bigger, same clock & lower power than original 7970 :oops:
Shades of R300 indeed, if they can pull it off.

Now we're getting juicy.

I don't know where the "lower power" came from but I would expect a 250-265w TDP.

Edit- Oh found it, that the 9950 w/ a rumored 40CUs would consume less than 7970 non-Ghz, which has a 220w TDP (250w PowerTune).

That ended with Cypress, afterwards neither Cayman, nor Tahiti can be considered as sweet spot cards. Pricing on those have always sucked big way.
No, they're not "sweet spot chips" anymore but still smaller than what NVIDIA is doing

Cant really say the 780 is a beast on computing. DP rate is 1/24 and the performance on SP is not really good ( and in most case not even faster of a Ghz edition ( FMA / MAD: 3977 / 4633 vs 4301 Gflops on the Ghz).. Titan is another story.. both cards have been released a long time after the ghz edition.

i still regret AMD dont take the risk to release an massive chip directly...

Note i join other i will not even read charlie..

I used the chip, not specific card, just for that - the chip is good in compute, 780 is software crippled in compute.

--

Anyway, was this posted already? claimed first bench:
http://wccftech.com/amd-hawaii-gpu-performance-exposed-3dmark-faster-gtx-titan/

ChipHell origin, would be slightly faster than Titan at least in 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme preset

Now we're getting juicy.

I'm expecting nothing less than RV670->RV770 type gains. 2 years is a fuck of a long time in graphics.

Back