AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Rumor or not, i put forth my past suggestion to Dave....please allow easy dis-assembly of your stock cooler and easy/standard installation points for a aio closed loop water cooler....like seriously check out how much a simple corsair h60 massively improves gpu core temps!

Huum, you really find they are hard to uninstall ? and seriously if you want a good waterblock, buy a real gpu waterblock.. or ask Corsair to do one for GPU... you dont want, they made hole in the pcb for fix a stock intel cooler too ?

I would rather see more convenient placement of the MOSFETs on the PCB. With the 7900 Series stock design, those puny things are lined in a single file, tightly squeezed between other VRM components, making it often quite hard to mount more bulkier third party/customized heat sink.

From VR-Zone: "New naming the new architecture, AMD graphics card naming or big update will be fully" (original).

The names for the "9000" series of GPUs may be of the form R9-Xxxx
Assuming they start the X number at 1(Series number?) and then have the other 3 x numbers as the model number then it should look something like:

HD-9970 = R9-1970
HD-9950 = R9-1950
HD-9870 = R8-1870
HD-9850 = R8-1850

I like it, similar to the A10/A8/A6 and also the i7/i5/i3 naming schemes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The same reason Intel i* processors still have a higher number? The other reason is that their competition still has one set of numbers only and they want their parts to look at least comparable in every part of the name. I guess having the lower end parts having a higher 1xxx number could only make them look better, though. It's definitely a bit of redundancy that is only in place as a nod to the legacy and for the sake of comparison.

2qd8ih0.jpg

With the release of new video cards AMD could change the marking system adapters

That product naming scheme doesn't exactly slip off the tongue. I hope this rumor isn't true.

That product naming scheme doesn't exactly slip off the tongue. I hope this rumor isn't true.
I agree, also they should make it similar to their APU name scheme.

A10/R9
A8/R8
A6/R7

and then follow it with a 4 digit number.

The only im sure is they let down the "HD".. for the rest, i think today it is just some site who have "Imagine what can be the new naming scheme"..
R for radeon make sense, for the other numbers, i really dont know. its clear too they maybe will not use the 9000 naming scheme, as in reality they was allready ATI 9500-9700-9800-9600-9200

Sounds like the sort of naming scheme that AMD might use when talking to their customers, rather than to their customer's customers.

Back