AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Fuck me these 20nm rumours just will not die. Even I'm starting to wonder now.

RV740 (4770) was 137mm2, released 6 months before Cypress. Doubling that would still fall far short of a true high-end chip. I just can't see AMD using Hawaii as a "pipe cleaner", although the argument from the professional market standpoint is one I hadn't considered.

Silly, silly, how silly can it be...

Ok, guys, the most important is pricing. Demand from AMD sane pricing- Titan performance for 500$ would be kind of okeyish.

Have you been in a store with many goods where some receive discounts like two for the same price or similar. Exactly those products run out of the store immediately, while the others just wait on the shelves until someone really needs to buy them...

Not to mention that the shrinking PC market also needs aggressive low pricing, otherwise it will continue to shrink even more rapidly ;)

This is it ;)

Sweet, I really hope it puts the hurt on Titan. Its about time we had some movement in the graphics space.

Why on earth would that erode their brand? Rather, it would be a tremendous boost to their brand!

Titan at its current price is underperforming and overpriced. Even something 30-40% faster, at a thousand bucks it's still going to be hella overpriced.

If so, then it will put it in the best case on par with Titan. Somewhere in between GTX 780 and Titan.

Even if true, it is exactly GTX 780 which Nvidia will have much more freedom to play with regarding pricing and even though it is possible Hawaii beats Titan, if those pricings are arranged in such a way, it would be exactly GTX 780 competing... All depends and we will see but it is too early now

I expect something like, 780 level, or somewhere between 780 and Titan. There were rumors of specs matching this performance level as well.

You have to realize Nvidia already maxed die size on on 28nm with Titan. AMD will probably imo produce something like 450mm^2, vs 550mm^2 for Titan. So it's not going to beat Titan.

BTW I had forgot 7970 die size, it's only 352mm^2.

But it will be a blazing fast card and they'll probably sell it for something like 499. 499 for lets say, 10% faster than 780, and almost as fast as Titan, will be a fine product really. It will obviously force Nvidia to slash some prices.

I think Nvidia's upscale lineup is terrible. My brother recently paid $650 for a Titan, it seems like I run across random game benchmarks where it's barely faster than a 7970 GE at all. Plus it only comes with 3GB RAM which imo isn't that future proof against next gen consoles. What a waste of money.

20nm risk production is running. The better question is: Is 20nm doing so badly that a new 28nm generation in Q4/13 would have enough shelf life to be worth the effort? I am not sure about that.

For the big chip it is easier to see the shelf life than for the perfromance chip and the even smaller chips. 9 months seems to be the realistic life as a top dog for the VI line, if 20nm stays on track.

20nm risk production is running. The better question is: Is 20nm doing so badly that a new 28nm generation in Q4/13 would have enough shelf life to be worth the effort? I am not sure about that

I am sure that 20 nm will be shitty in the beginning at least regarding cost.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...y-with-tsmc-claims-22nm-essentially-worthless

2yy9mj8.jpg

Yes, I think now a new improved generation on 28 nm would make much more sense.

AMD said they now longer wanted to jump on new processes first. That is not their priority.

My brother recently paid $650 for a Titan, it seems like I run across random game benchmarks where it's barely faster than a 7970 GE at all.
In folding@home, the 7970GE scores very favorably compared to the full titan (which has 6GB GDDR, as mentioned by others), although part of that is likely NV's less than optimal opencl implementation right now - they'd rather you use their proprietary glide API - oopps, sorry, cuda. :LOL:

Fringe Applications

In folding@home, the 7970GE scores very favorably compared to the full titan

Buying a high-end gaming card just to do folding@home or bit-mining seems like a waste of money (and electricity which also costs money).

Buying a high-end gaming GPU should be evaluated on gaming not Fringe Applications that most buyers will never have a need for.

As for the Titan it has had many more sales because it really can be used as a much lower cost Tesla.

$500 375mm2 chip that is neck and neck with titan will really stir things up me thinks. Esp once the design transitions to 20nm in the middle of 2014

Not really

Buying a high-end gaming card just to do folding@home or bit-mining seems like a waste of money (and electricity which also costs money).
...Says you. Others disagree.

Buying a high-end gaming GPU should be evaluated on gaming not Fringe Applications that most buyers will never have a need for.
You're awfully judgemental there. How about you speak for yourself, instead of everyone?

Bwahahah. Tell that to my dual 7970 rig with 3x Dell U2410s all paid for with the profits (after electricity costs by the way) from mining bitcoins using my previous dual 6970 rig. :)
And I'm not the only person who managed to do this.

Bwahahah. Tell that to my dual 7970 rig with 3x Dell U2410s all paid for with the profits (after electricity costs by the way) from mining bitcoins using my previous dual 6970 rig. :)
And I'm not the only person who managed to do this.

Shouldn't you have a dedicated FPGA rig for that these days?

I just hope nobody who Bitcoins complains about high graphics card prices...because that would be quite hypocritical since both are driven by greed. At least the companies make great products for us, Bitcoining does nothing productive at all and is a waste of energy imo.

I just hope nobody who Bitcoins complains about high graphics card prices...because that would be quite hypocritical since both are driven by greed. At least the companies make great products for us, Bitcoining does nothing productive at all and is a waste of energy imo.

Really? Would you please be so kind to share with us what exactly those calculations are used for? Because I am honestly not sure.

I am not a bitcoin miner, so at least I am allowed to ask for fair pricing, right?

Most probably those people who earn some money using this method, help themselves to survive.

While companies earn millions and I am not sure what helpful and productive they use so much money for. It is just waste of time and energy as well :LOL:

Really? Would you please be so kind to share with us what exactly those calculations are used for? Because I am honestly not sure.

I am not a bitcoin miner, so at least I am allowed to ask for fair pricing, right?

Most probably those people who earn some money using this method, help themselves to survive.

While companies earn millions and I am not sure what helpful and productive they use so much money for. It is just waste of time and energy as well :LOL:

This is the last time I'm telling you to stop posting stupid things outside of RPSC. Nobody on the tech side of the forums has any particular interest in wonky world views pouring onto everything.

@UT:
Well, that is my opinion about it. "Surviving" with powerful enough (for a steady income) and expensive hardware to begin with...doubtful.
Developing ASICs costs hundreds of millions of dollars. Sure the shareholders get their piece as does management. World isn't perfect ;)

Shouldn't you have a dedicated FPGA rig for that these days?
Cashed out all my coins and liquidated all the extra hardware (that had paid for itself as well) on September last year and stopped mining altogether.

Typical reaction of those uneducated on the matter and I bought my 7970s on launch day :) Anyways this is way OT.

I'm thinking we're gonna have a similar situation as with HD6k series. Top chip is new architecture and the rest is based on old. Hawaii = GCN 2.0, everything below GNC 1.0 (1.1?) probably Pitcairn and Bonaire based in different configs than what's currently available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back