AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point being, the fan can take in fresh air from top and bottom. I am aware of the short PCB thank you.

This design with PD near the bezel and display outputs is not new by all means - even in reference cards.
It's not unheard of, but extremely uncommon in higher performance division cards. And as Kaotik mentioned, the PCB isn't holed like with bad old Geforce 480GTX, it's short, with the fan sticking out behind it. Good design, too bad about the single six-pin power connector tho. An eight-pin connector that allowed either a six or eight-pin cable inserted into it would have felt much better, IMO.

PCB dont need to have hole, this is the case of the gpu under the fans who have hole
7a79ec5bc2629bc83777c6e1fc6a5c17_1465221326_7469.jpg

Oh, could anybody explain again how the RX480 can not have holes in it's PCB? I think I still not really grasp the concept. Anyone? Pahhhh-lease? Maybe even some well known pictures or a video showing these pics? ;)

Radial fan in the rear section, sucking in air from both the top and the bottom? Venting all heated air our via the bezel? PCB not(!) spanning the entire cards length this time?

Oh, could anybody explain again how the RX480 can not have holes in it's PCB? I think I still not really grasp the concept. Anyone? Pahhhh-lease? Maybe even some well known pictures or a video showing these pics? ;)

Yeah, where would the screws go? I know Nvidia started to use Wood screws. Have AMD now stopped using screws all together? ;)

Regards,
SB

So do I , but they really need another higher end card. If they had a $250 4 gig / $300 8 gig RX485 or 480xt or something that came close to the 1070 they would really light a fire

It's actually a good strategy, AMD can be bolder with Vega (later release, better process & yields) than Nvidia and can use HBM. Nvidia will have to wait for Volta on 2017 (?).

This will also offer a clear upgrade path: buy a Polaris now and a Vega on Christmas.

The entire strategy lays upon with the 1060 is released and its performance. Its a risk AMD took thinking they have time, lets see if it plays out to their favor.

People buying Polaris are people with 960 (possibly the 970 but doesn't look likely) or 380 and lower, why would they go to Vega for some many more bones? Doesn't make much sense.

This will also offer a clear upgrade path: buy a Polaris now and a Vega on Christmas.
That's a train of thoughts I just cannot follow. Why would I as a consumer, interested in purchasing an enthusiast-level card (Vega), buy a mid-range card now for 200 bucks and 6-8 months later the card I originally desired? Being interested in an enthusiast-grade card, chances are, I went for that target as well during my last upgrade cycle, which might put me in the R9 290X/390 range - and coming from there RX480 is - after all that is known today - merely a sidegrade.

It's actually a good strategy, AMD can be bolder with Vega (later release, better process & yields) than Nvidia and can use HBM. Nvidia will have to wait for Volta on 2017 (?).

NVIDIA does have GP102 coming, which might use HBM too

Oh sorry.

Btw its almost sure the new Xbox is going to use Polaris. compatible with xbox 1 games and 6TF of power.

6 TF Polaris likely wouldn't fit into a console power envelope (for reference, XBO uses 110-120 watts for the entire machine when gaming). It's coming out at the end of 2017. It's more likely to be based on Vega.

For reference, I'm expecting PS4 Neo to fit within a similar power envelope as PS4 (~135-145 watts total when gaming). And that's using a 4.4 TF GPU likely based on Polaris.

Regards,
SB

As others have mentioned there will be a GP102 (IMO designed to span Tesla/Quadro/Titan-ti model in similar trend as the GK110 GPU) - fingers crossed this one has a GPC/SM/Cuda structure more similar to P100 than Maxwell.
Also more an assumption but I would expect Volta to release initially as a large die Tesla, similar with what we saw with Pascal; this is due to many aspects being integral to both HPC and scientific research supercomputers, where they have contract commitments for 2017 such as with the US government DOE.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back