The Annual E3 PC Gaming discussion Thread, 2016 Edition

Those are part of the Xbox Play Anywhere campaign. Buy the Game once and play it on Xbox One or Win10 devices. Some or most of those even have cross-play ability.

New cards shown:
Gyxdcf.png

And Croteam is working on a VR Serious Sam.

It sad games seem to be going either Vibe or Rift and not both, I can see one becoming the next Power VR and the other the next 3DFX :rolleyes:

It sad games seem to be going either Vibe or Rift and not both, I can see one becoming the next Power VR and the other the next 3DFX :rolleyes:

I didn't watch the show - one look at the suited guy sitting behind a desk (is fun a foreign concept to these people?) was enough to put me off. What were the highlights for each of Vive and Rift? What am I going to be missing out on by not owning the Vive?

I didn't watch the show - one look at the suited guy sitting behind a desk (is fun a foreign concept to these people?) was enough to put me off. What were the highlights for each of Vive and Rift? What am I going to be missing out on by not owning the Vive?
Well I may have got it wrong, but watching some of the streams the VR content seems to be sponsored/ using either Vibe or Rift, but I guess that doesn't mean they games will be exclusive. Ubisoft had a demo of EagleFlightVR (I think) and they even had the Oculus dev's playing with them on stage, but after they annnoyced it would be coming to both Rift and Vibe.

Well I may have got it wrong, but watching some of the streams the VR content seems to be sponsored/ using either Vibe or Rift, but I guess that doesn't mean they games will be exclusive. Ubisoft had a demo of EagleFlightVR (I think) and they even had the Oculus dev's playing with them on stage, but after they annnoyced it would be coming to both Rift and Vibe.

its just like when a game is shown on the xbox but comes to all platforms or the ps4 and its out on the pc and xbox also.

I'm sure since oculus has had dev kits out longer they have relationships with some devs and content is further along on their platform

Finally had a chance to watch the PC show. Pretty good, IMO. Quite a few games are now on my radar, although there were also quite a few games that have been announced and known about for a year or more (like Killing Floor 2, which is still in early access).

Either way worth it just for the closing speech from Warren Spector. Consoles still may get the majority of focus from the major publishers for AAA games development, but it's nice to see that PC exclusive AAA game development is actually growing again. And the indie dev. scene is obviously PC centric for the vast majority of indie developers.

Looking at the past 2-3 years, I now realize that probably 90-95% of the games I play now are indie developed games as the gameplay is generally far better than much of the AAA fluff, IMO. Part of that is that I've never been into open world games (basically just MMOs without the social aspect, which makes them super boring to me) and open world games seem to be the focus for many AAA games. Hell, does UBIsoft even make a AAA game that isn't an open world game? Hell, even the next Final Fantasy game is just another generic open world game. /yawn.

Watching the Total Biscuit Co-optional podcast just brought into focus how many AAA games are just generic 3rd person over the shoulder open world copy cat games. The pointed that out with many of the UBIsoft games (Tom Clancy must be rolling over in his grave) and especially with Horizon: Zero Dawn. Perhaps that's why I'm not as impressed with that game as many on this forum. Hell, they even thought the latest God of War felt like it's being influenced by 3rd person over the shoulder open world games and 2 of the hosts were huge GOW fans! Anyway, I'm rambling now.

TL: DR - glad to see that there's been a huge resurgence in PC game development.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I noticed the pattern too, it's odd to me that big company just make massive open world games.
Are they the blockbusters games ?
Expensive but rather safe in terms of incomes ?

Either big companies don't think they can make small good affordable games ?
Or maybe they don't know how to market them, or at which price point to sell them...

It feels odd that big companies don't have a lot of small (say 10-20 people) teams to prototypes lots of ideas, it's not like people in the craft don't have ideas and things they'd like to try...

Well at least UBISoft has a non violent AAA PC game ;) [Well an probably the annual Just Dance]
(I find those to be disturbingly missing in most big company portfolio, maybe that blockbuster spirit issue again...)

Back