AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

An update to the original Digital Foundry article by "Brian Karis, senior graphics programmer at Epic Games" seems to explain most differences:

"Feature wise most everything is the same, AA resolution, meshes, textures (PS4 has tons of memory), DOF (I assure you both use the same Bokeh DOF, not sure why that one shot has different focal range), motion blur.

"Biggest differences are SVOGI has been replaced with a more efficient GI solution, a slight scale down in the number of particles for some FX, and tessellation is broken on ps4 in the current build which the lava used for displacement. We will fix the tessellation in the future."

http://www.ekwb.com/news/327/19/EK-launches-first-ever-AMD-FirePro-water-cooling-solution/

EK launches first ever AMD® FirePro water cooling solution

EK Water Blocks, Ljubljana based premium water cooling gear manufacturer, is proud to introduce world's first water cooling solution for both AMD® FirePro W9000 and S10000 graphics cards. EK Water Blocks' versatible and fully flexible solution allows for virtually any configuration to be used and expanded when necassery. Both solutions provide a single-slot design* thus doubling the computing power per unit compared to factory heatsink fan (HSF) cooling solution. Same footprint - twice the power!

EK-FCS10000 is a high performance full-cover water block for AMD® FirePro S10000 series dual-processor professional/server graphics cards. This water block directly cools both GPUs, RAM as well as both VRMs (voltage regulation module) as water flows directly over these critical areas thus allowing the graphics card and it's VRM to remain 100% stable under any given workload. EK-FCS10000 water block also features a high flow design therefore it can be easily used in liquid cooling systems using weaker water pumps.

S10000 Model

S9000 Model

Base of both water blocks is made of C110 grade electrolytic copper while the top is made of laser cut stainless steel metal plate. EK-FCS10000 also comes with single-slot I/O bracket which frees adjacent PCI/PCI-Express slot. The sealing is performed by quality NBR rubber washers. Screw-in brass standoffs are pre-installed and allow for safe, painless installation procedure. Both water blocks are - just like any EK Water Blocks product - factory pressure tested and come with 1g packaging of Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal grease (TIM).

I can allready say the model for the S10000 will surely made is way to the next EK 7990 waterblock .

Last edited by a moderator:
A (purported) HD 7990 engineering sample has been spotted on eBay (via Videocardz).

950 MHz core, 6 GB memory at 6 Gbps, and a 375 W TDP. Maybe the retail version will have higher clocks (at least for the core)?

[Disclaimer: I am not the seller and have no affiliation with the seller (to my knowledge).]

A (purported) HD 7990 engineering sample has been spotted on eBay (via Videocardz).

950 MHz core, 6 GB memory at 6 Gbps, and a 375 W TDP. Maybe the retail version will have higher clocks (at least for the core)?

[Disclaimer: I am not the seller and have no affiliation with the seller (to my knowledge).]

Looks like it sold for over $96k.

From China DIY: "Specifications Behind the Scenes AMD HD7990 early exposure" (original).

1 GHz core clock and 6 Gbps memory.

EDIT: WCCFtech has compiled some leaks regarding the HD 7990, and the specs agree with those in the China DIY report.

AMD-HD-7990-Performance.jpg

Radeon-HD-7990-Battlefield-4.png

(from Hardware.Info)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that this is a product I'd by at $999 (or at all) either, but you sure know how to cherry pick a data point supporting a preconceived notion.

Yup I hope I see the day he is assisted out of here.

Looking at the reviews, you'll be wanting a good airflow in the case for this card. Watercooling is a pretty good fit for this. The card does not seem to have real OC headroom almost at all. Even if you raise the clocks it seems to throttle back to almost the same point as at stock. Some games and multimonitor gaming sees pretty excellent results though and the gaming bundle is just otherworldly.

Not that this is a product I'd by at $999 (or at all) either, but you sure know how to cherry pick a data point supporting a preconceived notion.

You are always free to fight with my opinion with other data. I used it because I think it is the most fair to use the first graph with All Resolutions and All Games included. What's not to like? I think it describes the best how the product will look like in reality given the famous driver support and other technical issues.

In any case a much better option than to cherry pick 3D Mark pointless results.

Oh, and by the way, there is one listed at newegg for 900 $ but still too high.

as to the evil one's opinion- I wish you the same

All resolutions, seriously? You mean that there's even remote chance that someone would use 1280x800 or even 1680x1050 with these kinds of graphics cards?

As for all games, yes and no - sure it's fair to point out that CFX doesn't work on all games, but neither does SLI but in case of TPUs game lineup, there doesn't happen to be one that doesn't (IIRC anyway)

edit: something just isn't right, they claim that 680 went from being 4.7% slower to 2.5% faster than 7970GE with one driver update (1920x1200)

edit2: oh,lol, "In the interest of fairness, we disabled TressFX in our testing."

Yes, because the data set is the biggest and if you haven't noticed all cards are put under the same conditions. You don't like it because it makes your favourite brand looking bad.

I don't like it because no-one in their right mind would ever use such resolutions with these cards, regardless of which brand does better on low resolutions.

Back