AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

From Hermitage Akihabara:

130320voices_1024x768.jpg

Other specs mentioned are 1 GB 6 Gbps memory, 128-bit bus, 85 W TDP, and 6-pin power, and to be announced on March 22.

The SP count seems to alternate (between 896 and 768) from one rumor to the next. I guess we may not know the real number for sure until release.

The SP count seems to alternate (between 896 and 768) from one rumor to the next. I guess we may not know the real number for sure until release.
It's quite certainly 896, as GPU-Z used to report 768 on last version and the current versions release notes say "Fixed shader count on 7790"

Oh so same frontend as Pitcairn? A welcome change I didn't expect. That together with the now-rumored 14 CUs would make it a lot more than just a slightly beefed up Cape Verde indeed (and it shows in the transistor count). Would easily beat a HD 7850 (very slightly more shader power even but more importantly higher clock) if not for the much lower memory bandwidth (and less ROPs). And if power consumption in real world compares similarly to HD7770 as the 85W TDP (compared to 80W) suggests it would be a step up in perf/W too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much of this (presumed) perf/W improvement comes from pure process improvements, and how much comes from design. Dave? :)

Oh, by the way:

3×Bonaire = 3×(896 SP, 128-bit, 85W) = (2688 SPs, 384-bit, 255W). Just sayin'.

I can't wait until this level of performance, with 2GB RAM is considered the low end for next years line up. I hope that's the case. Although 2GB of RAM and for that matter, just this level of performance in general may not be all that desirable to anyone even for under $100 at that time with what the consoles will be bringing forward.

Looking at the reviews, the Bonaire is one hell of a 128-bit chip. It's basically hitting the performance of the 650 Ti (gimped GK106).

I can't wait until this level of performance, with 2GB RAM is considered the low end for next years line up. I hope that's the case. Although 2GB of RAM and for that matter, just this level of performance in general may not be all that desirable to anyone even for under $100 at that time with what the consoles will be bringing forward.

2GB RAM is going to look pretty rubbish but this level of performance should be more than enough to run next generatio console ports at lower settings. The core of the GPU is more or less on par with Orbis (and well ahead of Durango) although performance will probably be limited by memory bandwidth compared to the consoles.

Still for a lower midrange GPU as it's performance bracket will be when those consoles launch it should be pretty desirable.

Looking at the reviews, the Bonaire is one hell of a 128-bit chip. It's basically hitting the performance of the 650 Ti (gimped GK106).

Hitting the performance of 650 Ti? It's spanking 650 Ti's ass while passing it, which is why nVidia is bringing a new model above 650 Ti below 660

Hitting the performance of 650 Ti? It's spanking 650 Ti's ass while passing it, which is why nVidia is bringing a new model above 650 Ti below 660
"Spanking" ? Is that the official performance gap, or the AMD Intern approved measurement? :p

TPU ~5% @ 1920x1080
Minimal difference recorded by TR, and Anand basically shows what was already known- that games with a DirectCompute component tip the scales in favour of the GCN arch.

The pricing and free game seem to be the biggest differentiators between the two cards...and both of those evaporate against their own product stack when you have 7850's retailing for $160.

Have to agree it's laughably overpriced when you look at the 7850.

I was originally going to agree but after browsing newegg i disagree.

This is because you guys are comparing Neweggs discounted prices+ rebate to the AMD recommended retail price.

The 7790 will most certainly get some form of discount and/or rebates to bring that ~$150 down to something more reasonable.

Now if all cards launch @$150+ and have no rebate, then yes the card will be poor value compared to discounted 7850 cards and factoring in rebates.

2GB RAM is going to look pretty rubbish but this level of performance should be more than enough to run next generatio console ports at lower settings. The core of the GPU is more or less on par with Orbis (and well ahead of Durango) although performance will probably be limited by memory bandwidth compared to the consoles.

Still for a lower midrange GPU as it's performance bracket will be when those consoles launch it should be pretty desirable.

Orbis still bests it by a pretty comfortable margin, especially for fillrate. Durango should be pretty on par, having a disadvantage on paper but will obviously outperform by quite a margin in reality.

I'm seeing that in a years time a refresh of this with 2GB VRAM will be the minimum for a gaming graphics card. Perhaps they can make an APU with such a level GPU in late 2014?

I don't know what's going on in theTechReport review, but this card looks amazing there. If AMD were to scale this chip up accross the entire range they'd have a killer line-up. Yes, that would mean a 320mm^2 mid range card and 480mm^2 high end, so probably not, but surely with 20nm. Couple that with fast 8Gb GDDR5 across the range for some decent future proofing and they'd be amazing.

Back