AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

3DCenter speculates whether this 7890 would have 2 GB GDDR5 on a 256-bit bus or 1.5 GB GDDR5 on a 384-bit bus, and if it will have fewer SPs than the 7950 but higher clocks.

I think bus width aint speculation at all, since if it should be released under 7800 series branding thus equivocally means 256-bit bus ;) No one would introduce premium 384b card when series came to end of its lifespan. It will also serve them well in $250USD range where 384bit card is just too expensive to have profitable existence. While HD7870 will probably go down a notch from 239$ to 229-219$ EDIT: Now i'm thinking more likely 209.99$ considering how aggressively XFX 7870GHz is priced.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is speculation or if they have a source, but Arab PC World mentions specs of the 7890:
  • 1536 SPs @ 1000 MHz ("Expected to come by 7890 bear card Logo GHz," and they don't mention boost), 96 TMUs, 32 ROPs,
  • 256-bit bus, 1200 MHz GDDR5, possibly 2 or 3 GB,

This is pretty much expected since a day one HD7870 was introduced to have something that is put in between 20CUs and 28CUs. I'm guestimating that production of TahitiXT chips were more than successful when they introduce these so lately.

At least it shouldt be market prohibitive like it was CaymanCE (HD6930). It's weird thou because even it's smaller than Cayman for 37mm2 AMD was been incentive that 28nm production is far costly than 40nm.

Lack of "Boost" feature is expected as competition doesn't boost their midranged GTX660 and its not really such an advantage i think as we could OC card to our need. DAMN poorly implemented even UVD clocks which are more than a tad too high. So why would we need Boost at all?(imho) It's only good for marketing.

For a time of HD7890 release 2GB will play more than adequately. 4GB is too much to expect :imo: and AMD never had weird memory setups like nvidia that they would put 3Gb on 256b bus.

If its 179 dollars i will retire my 4890!

Riight .... AMD even should pay YOU to buy it :rofl:

I wouldn't expect it to be for less than 250$ on its introduction. After all it must replace price gap between HD7950 Boost and HD7870 that will be widen after "non profitable" HD7950 left the ring ... even 279$ might not be too high for AMD to nested it in. Yup its gonna be weird considering that now you can buy fully fledged HD7950 3G for 299.99$

Last edited by a moderator:
If this card exists i'd suggest it's only to get more benchmarks out now that AMD has the lead in all departments.

I will really not bet my house on the existence of this card. Specially after AMD have lower price on HD7870-7950 + the games bundle. Look a strange strategy. Now lasercut units on a Thaiti cores and release it in low abailability when the actual offers end, and untill new series is out could still be a good way to clean stocks. And i really think AMD need to push on the midrange series visibility, its where a big part of the market is, and if they could show high performance there, it will surely be a good point for them for next series.

Nvidia was really know it when they have push the GK104 660TI who is basically a "670 light". It bring a big value to the 660 series line.

I hate Boost! Hate the extra VDDC that comes with it....hate that AMD is following Nvidia path to lock down the VDDC adjustment....I hope Dave is listening for feedback...for next gen AMD GPU...we want non-Boost edition, let us play with the luck of silicon draw..and do our own overclocking...

This mechanism of boost does not change your OC chances. All it is doing is maximising the boards TDP more.

I see what i see Dave...Boost forced increase the VDDC, really is there a point to buy a boost edition..over a regular one with the OC utilities ? Nope, don't think so....don't see it that way..

Another observation is why are AIB coming out with new Radeons that have .....locked VDDC? T'is an AMD initiative ...or cost cutting from AIB?

People who don't overclock may be attracted to the Boost cards just as with other factory up-rated cards. Price premium for them.

I see what i see Dave...Boost forced increase the VDDC, really is there a point to buy a boost edition..over a regular one with the OC utilities ? Nope, don't think so....don't see it that way..

Another observation is why are AIB coming out with new Radeons that have .....locked VDDC? T'is an AMD initiative ...or cost cutting from AIB?

Im not sure what you mean about increase VDDC, you mean the stock or the VDDC you use for max OC or obtain same OC ? ... the stock is higher, but outside safe margin and binning one other main reason is it allow without voltage change an OC to 1200mhz ( depending the Asic quality, can be more ). with standard, normal edition, after 1100mhz, in general it was needed to increase the vcore. AMD allways keep a safer voltage for allow overclocking by CCC and the GHZ version are not different on this.

For peoples who dont OC or tweaks voltage, a GHZ edition ( with non reference cooler ), is a good alternative for get good perf, and can even OC them if wanted easely... for high OC, huum, that's a different story and too much factors are to take in count. ( Asic, Cooling )..

Now for max OC; it depend the cooling, i go as high of 1350mhz with H2o ( one of the 2 cards do better ), with DryIce and LN2 this is again an other story. ( i should one day mods my phase change units for get an idea across all the temps ). As with new drivers and like temps are becoming cold here, i will try if i finally find a bit of time to test my cards with both bios ( thanks to the dual bios switch ) .

I love my non-Boost HD7970 and even though I can flash it to Boost edition I rather not and keep it old fashioned way here, mainly because of better efficiency (lower power consumption at a given clock).

On another hand I see the reasons for Boost cards coming to market and only hope we will have same choice between Boost enabled/disabled cards next generation as we had with HD79xx this round (or simple BIOS switch to change between the two).

I love my non-Boost HD7970 and even though I can flash it to Boost edition I rather not and keep it old fashioned way here, mainly because of better efficiency (lower power consumption at a given clock).

On another hand I see the reasons for Boost cards coming to market and only hope we will have same choice between Boost enabled/disabled cards next generation as we had with HD79xx this round (or simple BIOS switch to change between the two).

i m specially for the possibility to disable it easely for peoples who want it... In addition, more tweaking control will be great ( 2 separate voltages settings, 2 clock settings + TDP limit will be awesome ). If not for standard reference cards, for Overclockers/High performance ones. ( i think to DCII ,matrix, Lightning boards etc )

1.48Tflops DP ... im honestly surprised ... i was not think we can approach it, even at 1:3 rate with this generation.

It's likely a dual-GPU board, isn't it?

That SM10000 was not mentioned before, but it's the name of a CPU-based SeaMicro server. The way I see it, either ComputerWorld is very confused, or we are indeed dealing with a new dual-GPU FirePro.

It's likely a dual-GPU board, isn't it?

I think, and i could be wrong, it is the sucessor of the 9000, but with 1:3ratio DP/SP ... I dont see AMD able to release a 6Tflops SP cards in the 28nm process. ( 7970 or W9000= 1Tflops DP, fpr 4Tflops SP )..

The article is a bit too generic for really get an idea of what we are speaking about. In general Computerworld dont work with rumors, so they just ommit some little things they have not been authorized to speak about ..

@imacmatician, i have post the link on XS, if its a problem for you, tell me. i remove it.

I think, and i could be wrong, it is the sucessor of the 9000, but with 1:3ratio DP/SP ... I dont see AMD able to release a 6Tflops SP cards in the 28nm process. ( 7970 or W9000= 1Tflops DP, fpr 4Tflops SP ).
Why not? Clocking a Tahiti at 725 MHz allows a significant voltage reduction so one can fit two of them in a somewhat tight TDP budget. Look at the 7990 what is possible with a higher power ceiling! IIRC, there is a 8+ TFLOP/s card out.

Why not? Clocking a Tahiti at 725 MHz allows a significant voltage reduction so one can fit two of them in a somewhat tight TDP budget. Look at the 7990 what is possible with a higher power ceiling! IIRC, there is a 8+ TFLOP/s card out.

I have think to it first, but then, i was likely to believe this card will hit easely the 1.7Tflops ... something dont match, and i can be wrong, but knowing AMD this card will be called W9990 not 10K ... ( im a bit romantic sometimes, and i can imagine this 10K have his importance )

with 1:3 DP rate, this will mean this card is only at 4.5 Tflops, who is in paar with the possible 7970 refresh ( 4 to 4.4Tflops ) ... for be at 1:4 and 1.48Tflops the dual cardshould be at an extremly low level core ( 210W maybe ) .. Comupterworld dont mention anything who can make think this is a dual W9000 based cores, they just mention AMD dont want speak about the SP right now.. ( basically i can imagine, this is based on the HD8000 and giving the SP numbers will give too much information )

If the card just use 1:4 ,,, yeah, i dont think it is anything more of a dual gpu too ( 6Tflops SP is just impossible to bring on the 28nm process ( ).

Ofc, you are right, even a dual 7970 bring impressive numbers right of the box ( i have 2 7970 here ) .. 8 Tflops SP and 2Tflops DP ... im allways surprised when i run some benchmark of GPGPU to see the level of power it bring on theorical performance ( imagine a 4gpu blade )

Hê im surely wrong, maybe im too much optimist

Back