AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Kaotik must be European lol. I also wrongly thought the Caribbean Islands to be southern hemisphere for a long time until NI. :p

Yes, Finnish, but I'm aware Caribbean is on the northern hemisphere, but as pointed out by Alexko, so is Cape Verde of SI family, so that's not an explanation ;)

Then again, if you can draw a straight line parallel to the equator that separates all the islands of SI from those of NI, then the Southern Islands are south of this line, the Northern Islands are north of it, and all is well in the world, because south and north can be relative terms. :)

Yes, we don't know what they're using as reference for northern/southern.
I'd say somewhere near the border between Mexico and the US.

Then again, if you can draw a straight line parallel to the equator that separates all the islands of SI from those of NI, then the Southern Islands are south of this line, the Northern Islands are north of it, and all is well in the world, because south and north can be relative terms. :)

But if they're using relative terms, why would they suddenly use highly specific "canary islands"?

Anyway, that's moot since it's Sea Islands, not Canary Islands. I remembered there being some speculation on Canary Islands name too, but that I did saw the confirmation for Sea Islands somewhere too, and decided to dig it up

amdfad02.jpg

For HPC, you want something that can run 24/7 without overheating, and with good power-efficiency. I'm not sure that's the best option.

It looks better suited to Eyefinity gaming with crazy settings.
Just reduce voltage and clock speed a bit (BIOS flash). In that Chinese cluster with the 4870X2 they did the same.
The important thing AnarchX was pointing to is the 6GB of memory which is worth of a professional/HPC card. ;)

Just reduce voltage and clock speed a bit (BIOS flash). In that Chinese cluster with the 4870X2 they did the same.
The important thing AnarchX was pointing to is the 6GB of memory which is worth of a professional/HPC card. ;)

So you propose buying overclocked cards just to underclock them? :D

Context was 'cheap HPC cluster'. This 7970 6GiB will probably cost far below $999, while delivering ~1 TFLOPs of DP performance. GK110 might deliver 2 TFLOPs DP, but at >3x price.
And like Gipsel said, the Chinese had a HPC cluster with HD 4870X2 card (underclocked @ 575MHz).

I could imagine some university research labs will build a sub $4000 cluster with ~4 TFLOPs for their researches on base of this card.

According to chip marking Pitcairn is Made in China. Is this a new TSMC fab or were they forced to declare the actual production country?

edit:
There seems to be different Pitcairns around:
Taiwan Pitcairn @ Guru3D (bottom)
China Pitcairn @ Computerbase

The solution is here.

Amkor, a chinese company, was nominated by AMD to test the first samples of Pitcairn, because the bad yield of TSMC. So, these chips were printed with "Made in China" because the last place where they are tested was China. ;)

Back