AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Interesting. Wonder what this means for the APU that comes after Trinity. Who needs an FPU when you can make the GPU circuitry do double duty?

Ah yes just saw that. So no more clauses. They seem to be embracing a lot of things nVidia has been preaching for years. Guess it'll come down to who has the best implementation.

Yes, it does look a lot more like Fermi than Cayman did. There's still one major difference, though: no SIMT, just a classic Scalar + SIMD.

Yes, it does look a lot more like Fermi than Cayman did. There's still one major difference, though: no SIMT, just a classic Scalar + SIMD.

From a software perspective how do we know each D isn't a T? Each SIMD lane could very well be dedicated to a pixel/vertex/control-point/work-item. Otherwise how are they going to get SIMD instructions out of the average compute program?

Any body has any idea where these slides might be?

EDIT: A pdf of entire deck would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a huge change.
pcper said:
no roadmaps, specific products, or feature rollout time lines

All these should come out with 7xxx series. But I wouldn't be surprised if all of these didn't.

Charlie was saying about 3-4 weeks ago that no new gpu is expected until winter 2012 (from both AMD & nV).

LE: This related to 8000 morphing into 7000 series speculation.

No. Instead of 16 vec5 over 4 cycles they will do 4x 16 scalar over 4 cycles.

So,

a) 4 different wavefronts from one workgroup issue to a CU.

b) 4 different wavefronts from 4 different workgroups issue to a CU.

What is it?

From a software perspective how do we know each D isn't a T? Each SIMD lane could very well be dedicated to a pixel/vertex/control-point/work-item. Otherwise how are they going to get SIMD instructions out of the average compute program?
It's easy. As each "thread" in a GPU has no own control flow, it is really only a D, not a T in SIMD (lane masking dosn't help that fundamental issue). There is no difference (and never was) between AMD an nvidia in this respect. Everything else are just stupid marketing terms.

So,

What is it?
Edit: To account for edit.

How many work groups can coexist on one CU depends on the resource allocation (as today). If you don't use a lot of local memory for instance, several workgroups can potentially run in parallel.

I should have phrased it better.

a) 4 different wavefronts from one workgroup issue to 4 simd's in a CU.

b) 4 different wavefronts from 4 different workgroups issue to 4 simd's in a CU.

What is it?

I think it should be (a), else it would break dx11 spec.

It's easy. As each "thread" in a GPU has no own control flow, it is really only a D, not a T in SIMD (lane masking dosn't help that fundamental issue). There is no difference (and never was) between AMD an nvidia in this respect. Everything else are just stupid marketing terms.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. nVidia's "T" is just an independent data set. So no different from SIMD. I was responding to Alexko's comment that SIMT != SIMD. The only real difference is that developers don't have to explicitly code SIMD instructions compared to typical cases, SSE/AVX etc.

So,

What is it?

Both are probably supported. I believe multiple blocks can be running in parallel on an SM so why not multiple workgroups per CU? Each workgroup probably runs on a single CU though for the usual reasons.

Back