AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Assuming that information ends up being fairly accurate, I can see the SR5 (6 core, 12 thread?) being a real winner.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55126/amds-new-zen-based-499-cpu-beats-intels-999/index.html

499$. Zen 8 core (16 thread). 3.2 GHz (3.5 GHz turbo). Looking pretty good against competing 1000$-1200$ Intel chips.

Really good news. Zen will bring back some competition. Hopefully the end result will be much cheaper 8 core chips.
Wow. I'm excited. If AMD is giving them with unlocked multi I'm selling my 7 hero and my 4590 and getting one of them (I have a good PS and cooler)

Enviado desde mi HTC One mediante Tapatalk

What kind of cpu is better for Vr? High frequency or high threads?

What kind of cpu is better for Vr? High frequency or high threads?
Depends on the application / game. Many modern AAA game engines scale pretty well to high core count. Unreal and Unity do not scale as well as some console centric AAA engines. These engines are more generic and lean on easy object oriented data models and scripting for gameplay (node based systems and script languages). It's hard to multihread gameplay code like this. In contrast some AAA console engines are based on data oriented design. There are no big objects. Data is split to independent subsystems. It is much easier to multithread code like this. Also these engines are less generic. Data model can be designed around the particular game genre's needs.

Most PC VR games are made by smaller studios and are built on top of Unreal or Unity. Both of these engines are easy to use and have good VR support out of the box. But as said earlier I wouldn't expect an average UE/Unity game scale well to 16 threads (8 core Zen = 16 logical cores). I would guess a high clocked 4 core CPU is your best bet. Fast and cheap 8 cores are still good news. If 8 core becomes the new standard in consumer space, high end 4 core models will become significantly cheaper.

Depends on the application / game. Many modern AAA game engines scale pretty well to high core count. Unreal and Unity do not scale as well as some console centric AAA engines. These engines are more generic and lean on easy object oriented data models and scripting for gameplay (node based systems and script languages). It's hard to multihread gameplay code like this. In contrast some AAA console engines are based on data oriented design. There are no big objects. Data is split to independent subsystems. It is much easier to multithread code like this. Also these engines are less generic. Data model can be designed around the particular game genre's needs.

Most PC VR games are made by smaller studios and are built on top of Unreal or Unity. Both of these engines are easy to use and have good VR support out of the box. But as said earlier I wouldn't expect an average UE/Unity game scale well to 16 threads (8 core Zen = 16 logical cores). I would guess a high clocked 4 core CPU is your best bet. Fast and cheap 8 cores are still good news. If 8 core becomes the new standard in consumer space, high end 4 core models will become significantly cheaper.
Thanks for the answer. Yes I think 4 cores are enough for consumers and is always better to update every 2 or 3 years to keep track on new technologies like ppl with last gen i7s not been able to watch 4k in Netflix because of the lack of support for drm (is stupid in my opinion but is a good example)

Talking about zen AMD needs to make a huge investment in marketing because AMDs image is worse than garbage right now for most people and that's a problem. I don't want amd to become the next HTC....

CyJ32x9XEAA5pfY.jpg

Hmm is zen release that close? Also almost 300 dollars for the cheapest ocble xp?

It doesn't seem like the tweaktown description of the upper Zen tier aligns with the latter table.
The table at least gives SKUs with base/turbo ranges that look about as wide as other chips with turbo.

The tweaktown rumor has an rather tight base/turbo range, although chips at the higher counts do tend to be more constrained.

One thing I don't like is AMDs likes to copy competition names, codes, colors...

Its as fake as fake can be, there are already 3.2/3.5 8core 95watt TDP OPN's in the "wild". Raven Ridge Pricing yet we don't even have a know tape out yet and only 8 CU.......... Also the back ground image is taken from the opening slide of the Zen hotchips presentation.

There are samples in the wild with 3.2/3.5GHz base/turbo OPN 1D3201A2M88F3_35/32_N

Rumor says eng. samples do clock up to 4.2GHz on air and 5GHz LN2.

Take it with a bit of salt.

Still, we need more performance data to draw proper conclusions but so far I'm excited with the prospect of swapping my good old i7 4790K back to AMD with double the threads :)

Guess I haven't been paying much attention to Zen specifics, but what's with only the unlocked chips supporting 2 threads per core? Assuming that diagram is accurate.

Zen features SMT.
Why only enabled on the highest SKU(2/4/6/8 core) of each tier though? SMT should apply to nearly all of them. Maybe disable some faulty parts, but I don't foresee a whole lot of redundancy on the hardware to enable SMT. I don't recall seeing hyperthreading disabled all that often on Intel chips. More interesting, if that diagram is accurate, is that TDP of all the SMT chips is nearly 50% higher.

Back