AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by fellix, Oct 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Au contraire, I'm betting that since Intel didn't improve basically anything with Kaby Lake, they'll struggle to reach this skl -> kbl performance increment. We are talking abount the improvement of an (already) improved process. And we don't have to speculate on the speed increments, we already know 8700k will reach 4.7 ghz turbo max 4.5 of 7700k

They'll be fine only because they've increased the core count . Also another area where Intel has a chance to improve with this generation is overcklocking.

2. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Intel is still well ahead in per-thread performance, especially in games, so they don't need much of an improvement in this department. With 2 more cores they'll probably match the 1800X in most cases for well threaded applications. Which one comes out on top ultimately will be interesting to see, but with Intel's lead in games, I think Coffee Lake will be a much more appealing proposition overall. Plus, it's apparently going to be much cheaper, although I would expect big Ryzen price cuts in response.

Incidentally, this might mean ThreadRipper price cuts as well, as only the latter will be able to truly beat Coffee Lake.

3. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

If the rumors are true we gonna have zen+ in the start of 2018 so the delta won't be wide.

4. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Ryzen Mobile pictured:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems to be around 220mm^2. The same article says Kaby Lake 4C+GT2 is 180mm^2 but it could be wrong since the 2C+GT2 is below 100mm^2.
    Regardless, the iGPU is probably what's taking most of the die area. Polaris 11 (16CU) is 123mm^2 and Polaris 12 (10CU) is 100mm^2. Raven Ridge's iGPU should be around those numbers.

Picao84, Cyan, Lightman and 5 others like this.
  5. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

I've seen 123mm^2 for 4C Kaby Lake R (somewhere, sorry no source), so the larger number may include the "chipset" (controller hub) die.

For comparisons sake, what's the word on integrated connectivity on Ryzen Mobile?

6. hoom

Veteran

Is it actually though? I thought it was mainly i7 7700K being clocked 400Mhz faster that was the big thing, Ryzen about even with same-clocked chips.

Is it 1* CCE + GPU?

Lightman likes this.
  7. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Coffee Lake is about 15% ahead per thread and per clock. But does it matter whether a per-thread performance lead comes from IPC or clock speed? The end result is the same.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/970-5/coffee-lake-kaby-lake-ryzen-3-5-ghz.html

T1beriu, DavidGraham and Kaarlisk like this.
  8. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/970-6/protocole-test.html

Looks like they are leaving Ryzen performance on the table( relative to the other benchmarked CPUs ), with memory that makes the IF a bottleneck.

15% perf per clock is not what I would have the average performance deficit more like 5% ( excluding the few things that really scale with 256 bit vectors like linpack).

9. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

CL15 2400 RAM? Yeah.... not Ryzen performance.

Clukos, Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  10. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne Ps4 Pro when?
    Veteran Newcomer

It is and it isn't at the same time. AMD need to decouple the IF speed from the memory speed to clear the confusion. That's one area they can improve with Ryzen+.

Kej and Kaarlisk like this.
  11. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

So looks like Samsung-B die RAM prices have dropped finally to the same prices as when Ryzen was released. At the same time, with the CL CPU release, other non-b die ram is about the same price! So I managed to sell my crappy Hynix TridentZ ram on ebay for the same price I bought them at back in March, and ordered some better CL14 b-die RAM instead.

Clukos, Lightman and Grall like this.
  12. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Is there a way to tell which memory devices your DIMM is using, like reading it out through SPD or such or can you only find out by word-of-mouth from people in the know?

13. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

One of the only programs that read what chips are present is Thaiphoon Burner. Depending on the ram, you can also determine the chips by specific codes printed on the DIMMS.

Grall and Lightman like this.
  14. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Yes, Raven Ridge is 1 CCX + uncore + iGPU so 4C/8T

15. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

Got my new RAM, threw it in and no issues using D.O.C.P. It was really nice just to be able to set it to it's full speed and actually working for once.

Lightman likes this.
  16. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

#2695 Arnold Beckenbauer, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    ToTTenTranz, T1beriu and Lightman like this.
  17. ToTTenTranz

I don't know where pcper got the 35W number from, but those early slides claimed the FP5 BGA Raven Ridge would range between 12 and 45W.

Of course for simplicity sake it would make much more sense for AMD to use the U suffix to place Raven Ridge directly against Intel's U offerings, and that would mean 15-28W.
    The 35-45W versions should use a different suffix.

T1beriu likes this.
  18. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

https://i0.wp.com/www.techarp.com/w...n-Model-Number-Decoder-01.jpg?resize=1000,583

i think its a fair assumption that:
    M is sub 15watt
    U is 15-28watt
    H is 28-45 watt

19. Picao84

Regular

Ok, at the moment I'm really tempted to get a Dell 13 inch with the Core i5 8250u (4 cores / 8 threads) for £729. Processor has a TDP of 15W. Given that a good GPU is a nice to have, but not essential, do you think I should wait for Ryzen?

20. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Isn't it a good idea to at least check out ryzen reviews first before buying anything? Unless it's an excessively long wait perhaps, or if you really need a laptop right now...

21. Picao84

Regular

I forgot to say that the laptop has a £100 discount till 22 October. Normal price is £829, hence my "struggle" :D