AMD RX 7900XTX and RX 7900XT Reviews

Theory: dual-issue to both parts of a VALU lane uses huge amounts of power.

Games that are heavy on pixel shading, which uses the dual-issue capability due to wave64 mode, scale worse on RNDA 3 than games that are compute heavy, where shaders are mostly running as wave32. With wave32 there would generally be less use of the co-issue capability (simply because it's hard to co-issue from a single thread), so there's less overall power usage.

My understanding is that ray tracing is generally executed in wave32 mode.

Pretty weak theory. Sounds plausible. Could be tested, I suppose. Does anyone care?
That doesn't sound right to me.
Games which scale the best on RDNA3 seem to be games made for old GCN consoles where Wave64 was the only mode of execution.
Also the cards are showing the lowest clocks when doing RT (so Wave32 mostly) which implies that this is when they are power limited the most.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, from a marketing point of view calling Navi 31 the "7900 series" is terrible. It makes people compare Navi 31 to AD102, much like the 6900 XT vs RTX 4090 in the previous generation.

Calling it the "7800 series" with the current set of prices would set up the correct comparison against the RTX 4080. A possible resin with 30-40% clock boost should then get the "7900 series" moniker.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, from a marketing point of view calling Navi 31 the "7900 series" is terrible. It makes people compare Navi 31 to AD102, much like the 6900 XT vs RTX 4090 in the previous generation.

Calling it the "7800 series" with the current set of prices would set up the correct comparison against the RTX 4080. A possible resin with 30-40% clock boost should then get the "7900 series" moniker.
Yea I know X1800 to X1900 replay yadda yadda yadda but AMD product plans always accounted for N32 sitting at 7800XT price point so...

I'd generally agree with you, however a lot of people in the forums have been telling me the name of the product means absolutely nothing. :p

Regards,
SB

The "problem" is that even when compared against the 4080 it serves up the typical AMD recipe of "slightly faster raster, significantly slower RT, at a discount that reflects perf differential and brand positioning". Which is fine, but I think some folks were expecting a massively disruptive move from AMD vis-a-vis 4080 pricing. When in reality it probably ended up reinforcing 4080 pricing.

To me all of this appears rational and unsurprising. Costs are really getting ridiculous and AMD (and NV) are businesses trying to make money, they're not charities. And they clearly have no desire to run stupid anti-competitive "contra-revenue" campaigns.

If the hardware N31 bug stories are true and per the original design targets the N31 were competitive with the 4090 then I am sure AMD would have priced it appropriately higher.

The XTX price make sense (well...as much as possible with theses crazy prices) , but the XT version is pretty bad imo.

So? People can compare whatever they want and product names mean nothing here. If someone want to compare a 1000 and a 1500 product then what would stop them from doing so if the former would have a different name?

ng it irrelevant and/or forcing Nvidia to lower the price.
Now it's just "not so bad" and kinda makes 4080's price valid.

I'd say "kinda' being the key word here, but it's close enough where the recent small price cut of just $100 for 4080 in the euro market certainly makes comparisons far more difficult than I think AMD would like. For that extra $100 over the XTX, you're gonna lose in some rasterized titles yes - but not all. You'll win in every RT title though, sometimes just a small amount which is a bit better than I was expecting for the XTX so that's nice, but still - lose in all. DLSS is still a big win for Nvidia atm, as Rich from DF pointed out, AMD/Intel need to get XESS/FSR support in more games, the trend is positive sure, but they're still lacking, especially for some older titles like Metro Exodus that could really use it. I've tried those drop-in FSR mods for DLSS, and uh - they're really not a solution, you need native support from the developer.

DLSS in turns ties in rasterization speed as well, as for games that have DLSS but not FSR support, then even without RT the game is likely going to be a significantly better experience on the 4080 because of it, unless the DLSS implementation is exceedingly poor - and that's not even factoring in the frame generation part. Yes yes, AMD is planning their own - but Nvidia has already solved some of the more significant issues with it, and it's in shipping games now.

All of that, in turn with a significantly lower TDP, and hence, lower noise to boot. No doubt the 7900 series can actually fit in a lot more smaller cases which is the first step to using one of course, but heat/noise are also big concerns in SFF systems too, and yikes man:

1670870982253.png

1670872966538.png

For the $200 more the 4080 is still asking in most markets, although it's far from cut and dried, I can see the argument for a 7900XTX. There is a hard price ceiling for some after all, and the $1200 asking price, regardless of some benefits, may breach it. If Nvidia lowers it to $1100 in all markets - or even less though - then the familiar critique you hear from AMD fans that the GPU market is driven by blind Nvidia loyalty looks even more silly (I mean that argument was largely dusted with the 4080's sitting on shelves, clearly there's a limit!). I'd really have to question how much actual research the AMD buyer is doing if they choose a $1k 7900XTX over a $1.1K 4080. You're saving $100 for...what? To get a win in some rasterized titles, and losing everywhere else? Who's not doing their homework in that situation? I can't see that extra VRAM being a factor in any game over the cards lifespan, it's different when we're talking 10-12 gigs but when the 'lesser' amount is 16...meh. But hey, that's 'if'. It's still $1200 (and far more here in CAD) atm.

All of this is assuming these cards are available at MSRP too. If AMD has enough stock the price differential may be more significant, but it doesn't exactly look like 4080's are hard to find at MSRP either. That is Nvidia's main competition, not AMD unfortunately - just the market realities it's running up against with cards in the $1k+ bracket, let alone when many are financially constrained right now.

One thing is perfectly clear though as it was during the announcement weeks ago: The 7900XT is useless. I called it an upsell product, but in these reviews it's acting more as a 'downsell' for the entire 7900 line. It completely undercuts AMD's argument that it wasn't raising prices, as it's previous gen competitor was the 6800XT - so they have raised prices, significantly - just not on the top-tier product that was considered an extreme niche price category just a few years ago. All its existence does at this point in every review is to remind viewers of this fact, just how much of a shit value it is. Frankly if this was the only price this product was feasible, it shouldn't have been released. Maybe Nvidia is dumb enough to release the 4070 TI at the same $899 price the 4080 12GB was supposed to go for - they're certainly arrogant enough to - then it may have some relevance. But really, $899 is just nuts considering the performance delta with the XTX. $799 absolute max.

So overall, largely similar to every other AMD release in the past few years. Ok. Decent. That's...nice. If they could have gotten those clocks to ~3ghz as the earlier rumours indicated, and the XT was priced accordingly, we'd be looking at something quite different (albeit at what tdp considering what they're already leeching now, so uh).

Apropos of it being the holiday season - if/ands/buts, candy & nuts, etc etc.

Last edited:

Anyway, I think the card is a good value at its $1k price point. It's a great value if you are only playing older titles that don't have ray tracing but want more performance to drive higher frame rates. For ray tracing its a meh value. It seems to mostly be between a 3080 and 3080ti in ray tracing.

I certainly think AMD would have had a much better chance if they more directly matched the 4080 12 gig pricing. The 7900xtx at $900 and the 7900xt (although who knows how that performs) at $700.

I know its only a $100 difference but matching the 4080 12 gig price would have changed the conversation even more towards the amd card than it is now. Of course Nvidia canceling it has also throw a monkey wrench in. The 7900xtx would have looked a lot better compared to it

Yea I know X1800 to X1900 replay y
1900xt-1950xtx you mean. I wonder how this thing OCs without power constraints (if old sppt tricks still work), it'd be interesting to see how it performs under no power / thermal constraints (i can easily make my n21 push 520W in furmark at 2.6 ghz and it runs at 2.8ghz in games with no issues at slight overvoltage (1.24v set/1.17v get). AMD kind of flubbed ball with all 2022H2 releases, we probably won't see x3d parts in 2022 as they promised and this N31 variant kinda should not have been released at all.

It's a great value if you are only playing older titles that don't have ray tracing but want more performance to drive higher frame rates
Not sure if it's a great competitor to $700 6900xts at newegg/ebay etc. Sure, they'll sell out soon, but I see no compunction to upgrade (i'll get 20-30% at best at 30% price premium and I'm playing on a high-hz 1080p monitor so performance would probably be CPU limited anyway)

Not sure if it's a great competitor to $700 6900xts at newegg/ebay etc. Sure, they'll sell out soon, but I see no compunction to upgrade (i'll get 20-30% at best at 30% price premium and I'm playing on a high-hz 1080p monitor so performance would probably be CPU limited anyway)
a used 3080 is likely even better but if you are buying new ? Then its a good value

Screenshot_20221212_202853_Chrome.jpg
Man, that poor little WGP sits at voltage floor in furmark while *still* being power limited.

Screenshot_20221212_202853_Chrome.jpg
Man, that poor little WGP sits at voltage floor in furmark while *still* being power limited.
Taken at face value, that would imply that fragment export is the performance hog, wouldn't it?

OREO mode FUBAR?

More data required, what's the frame rate in Furmark and how does that compare with Navi 21. (Still unclear how useful Furmark frame rate would be.)

that would imply that fragment export is the performance hog, wouldn't it?
Furmark also hammers the everloving hell out of SIMDs so they may be that, too.
And given that reported clock counts for SIMD one for RDNA3 as far as I see it, well...

Last edited:
Back