AMD RX 7900XTX and RX 7900XT Reviews

It would need to hit 3.2Ghz to reach 4080 RT performance, and that's probably only in more simple RT games

edit: either way to me in the "mainstream" class even if it did reach 4080 performance levels in RT i wouldn't spend that much money to have some RT'ed gaming at 60fps or less but upscaled, the hw and api is just not there yet, im part of the those who think it was introduced too early, 2 manufacturing nodes too soon and limited flexibility by both hw and api, not to mention even game dev's are still in testing grounds trying to resort to all tricks they can come up with just to achieve native playable results without resorting to upscaling and limited to 2 ray bounces for performance reasons (ignoring other cache sampling optimizations that can only go so far), i'll rather hang on with a 6700xt/3060ti price range until 3nm cards arrive in 2 to 3 years and both the API, S/W and HW ecosystem matured.

Last edited:
it would need to hit 3.2Ghz to reach 4080 RT performance, and that's probably only in more simple RT games
The entire point is that it was supposed to clock that or higher instead of what it does now.
Those are RDNA2 clocks on a trimmed WGP with a shrink that has lotta knobs for speed.
It's a joke.

Not bad AMD for not having the same dedicated RT cores...it seems it just keeps improving. It's consistent with FSR2 being competitive without the fancy hardware.

Should AMDs new slogan start being "for the price, it's good enough" 😂

They made a nice improvement in RT. The rasterization performance is less than expected, but still good. The COD and Warzone performance is amazing. What I don't understand is the power consumption. It's a hog, and I was expecting it to be a more efficient architecture. The price isn't looking as disruptive as it seemed during the announcement.

If this guy's not faking it nor using LN2, then it looks like AMD have fubared things quite badly.
It's real.
It's very easy to make it run 3.7 (VBIOS limit) in lighter OCL loads.
so where do they price it without making the 7900 irrelevant?
649 just like 6800XT and engage winning.
Current N31 is made to become irrelevant once non-FUBAR bits crawl out.

649 just like 6800XT and engage winning.
Current N31 is made to become irrelevant once non-FUBAR bits crawl out.

Will see, not going to get my hopes up, but if it's close to 7900 XT at that price and a FAR more sane power consumption, I might be tempted. Although I'll probably wait for the product that is the next step down from that one. Also, still waiting to see the rest of NV's product stack as well and if there is anything sanely priced with reasonable (for me) performance.

Regards,
SB

Something in the SIMDs or VRF goes utterly sad under heavier loads.
But is it something at the architecture level design and was missed during simulations or something related to the manufacturing process? Or a mix of both? It's seems one of those "how could anyone not catch this" situations.

You go only to the market with such product if you cant fix it in the simulation. No company will spend money on try and error.

Performance is about in line with what I expected, power consumption and efficiency is not, however.
Look at those multi-monitor and video playback power consumption numbers:

103w just sitting there with a few monitors of varying refresh rates attached!

Even in TPU's 'Vsync 60hz' graph which tries to show 'typical' power consumption playing a game where the GPU isn't running flat out, but just at one specific performance target, the entire 3000 series on 8nm including the 3090ti draws less power than the 7900XTX.

Back