AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

I'd say best we can hope is for the retail prices to return to autumn-winter 2019 levels (which were already higher than MSRP even without mining craze). There was a window of opportunity to buy a GPU in july-august of the last year (i've seen preinstalled waterblock 6800xt going for as low as $1.3k with taxes and so on). Not sure if the outlets/vendors/majors distributors would lower it even if there would be another flood of used GPUs when miners start to panic sell their rigs

I'd say best we can hope is for the retail prices to return to autumn-winter 2019 levels (which were already higher than MSRP even without mining craze).
No they were not. Prices were fine up until Covid hit the whole planet and resulted in supply issues with a simultaneous increase in demand, circa mid 2020.

Yes, you are completely right, I meant the autumn of 2020, when Ampere/Zen3/RDNA2 released
That period was abnormal for many reasons (covid supply/demand issues peak, rising ETH price, new products launch with huge perf/MSRP gains) and I don't see how it could become a "new normal".

That period was abnormal for many reasons (covid supply/demand issues peak, rising ETH price, new products launch with huge perf/MSRP gains) and I don't see how it could become a "new normal".
Lets hope so, but if our resident leaker to be believed, AMD (and NVidia's) appetites are to grow considerably

That review seemed to bend over backwards trying to justify the 6500! ROFL! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I don't know, they seem to do a fair job. They didn't change any of their tests, so you can still see an apples to apples comparison.

However, knowing that some consumers can't afford higher priced cards they also went the extra mile to show what would be required to get a decent gaming experience with a card that is limited to 4 GB of memory.

They didn't shy away from the issue in their conclusion either.

That said, we did get a little hands-on testing done with the RX 5500 XT to see how the 8GB frame buffer would impact certain workloads, and what we suspected was true: the 4GB frame buffer of the RX 6500 XT can really hold it back in places. In fact, the RX 6500 XT performs similarly to the RX 5500 XT, so the reality is this: AMD’s new $199 card is generally faster than RX 5500 XT when there are no frame buffer limits, but when it comes to video encode and higher detail levels, the new RX 6500 XT is actually a downgrade.

If the application (game or otherwise) doesn't run into memory limitations, it's faster than the card it replaces. If it does, then it's worse.

They also touch very slightly on a very important consideration. If the 5500 XT had to be made today, AMD likely wouldn't be able to make an 8 GB version and still have it cost 199 USD. IE - if the 5500 XT were being made today, it likely would have released as just a 4 GB card due to the fact that memory prices are much higher than they were when the 5500 XT was made.

Of course, that doesn't really touch on what AIBs are doing or how they are pricing the cards.

Regards,
SB

Don't forget that the 4GB 5500XT doesn't have the same issues (especially on PCI-e 3.0 systems) when it fills it's frame buffer as the 6500XT, as it has 8x PCI-e lanes. There really can be no justification for the 6500XT.
6500XT is just a way to sell at least some of the chips that don't fit the bill for laptops. Navi24 is tailor made for Ryzen 6000 laptops, it doesn't need justification for desktops.

Don't forget that the 4GB 5500XT doesn't have the same issues (especially on PCI-e 3.0 systems) when it fills it's frame buffer as the 6500XT, as it has 8x PCI-e lanes. There really can be no justification for the 6500XT.
Sorry, this argument is pointless. Radeon RX 5500 XT is currently (more than) twice as expensive as Radeon RX 6500 XT, while being barely faster under specific circumstances (PCIe 3.0 systems). Most of the reviewers somewhat forgot real-world princing of the alternatives. GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 is ~30 % more expensive while being ~20 % slower. GeForce GTX 1650 Super has comparable performance, but costs ~50 % more. Radeon RX 5500 XT is also comparable in performance, but costs 100 % more.

Radeon RX 6500 XT isn't even close to a perfect low-end product, but it has far better price / performance ratio than any of the older (more power-hungry) products, which are available on current market.

Amusingly, 6500XT price was reduced to £199 because it wasn't selling enough (too slow for the quantity of stock):

RTX 3050 - starting at $249 (msrp) | Page 14 | Overclockers UK Forums

Nope, we sold the stock we had at £179, at £225 the sales dropped to less than 20 units per day, so I went back to Sapphire and said we need to sell at £199 can you help, they gave some assistance and we dropped our margin to 10% and were at £199 and sales are much better now.

All partners are been pushed to support their cost to get their prices down, the £250 plus cards have zero sales, but equally I have taken in zero stock as none is available and when it is I shall buy very little, the 6500 XT is a sub £200 all day long, the 3050 is a sub £300 card all day long.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35393383/

[...]
£179 - Supported stock, all sold out on day one.
£225 - Fair price for product based on our cost, sales slowed down massively compared to £179, were sitting on a 6500 XT mountain. Instead of waiting for sales to potentially build back up, I took action, requested support.
£199 - Sales have improved, plus stock will start been used in SI, the mountain is reducing.

I also can't see many other places selling 6500 XT sub £200, the Bolton competitor who listed their Asus MSRP stock has now sold out, they then increased to £199 and have since sold out it seems.

At £199 the 6500 XT seems to be selling OK, not as good as £179 but a lot better than at £225. :)

As always it is economics of scale, supply outweighs demand, price comes down, demand outweighs supply, price goes up, for OcUK on 6500 XT we had 1000+ and demand was not there for that quantity at the higher than MSRP price.
So, erm, you can thank them reviewers, or maybe the miners, for rejecting 6500XT :)

It seems 3050 goes on sale tomorrow, whose prices I was looking for and how come those comments come from that thread!

If the 6500 XT ends up being sub 200 USD, I might be tempted to get one just for HDMI 2.1. Performance wise it'd be more like a side-grade however as it's performance seems to be roughly similar to my GTX 1070. Although with only 4 GB of memory, I probably won't pull the trigger on it. Will see how I feel if it manages to somehow drop that low in the US.

The 3050 is more tempting with 8 GB of memory, but even then I wouldn't even consider buying one unless it was sub 250 USD. Sub 200 USD and I'd be really tempted to pull the trigger on one. But again, I don't imagine it's going to drop that far anytime soon.

Regards,
SB

Amusingly, 6500XT price was reduced to £199 because it wasn't selling enough (too slow for the quantity of stock):
That's interesting. In some countries the cards are still not in stock and prices are much higher than in Britain. Maybe it would be sufficient if Sapphire (and other AIBs) distributed the cards evenly.

Back