AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

Its too slow for them to be of much use and the pricing is just terrible. It's an awful product.
Most of these features will actually improve performance so if 6500XT is "too slow" for them then 1060/580 counterparts will drop to single digit fps there. 1650/1660 though not so much.

buyers who have been mournfully staring at their empty PCIe slot for 2 years are hardly in a rational state of mind
* One year
And I dunno, feels to me that if someone is so desperate to get ANY GPU then getting a shit tier product for 150-200% of its already shit MSRP won't be high on their preference list.

Who's buying these cards? Are they useful to miners?
I was thinking the same. I think people mostly with pent-up frustration at needing a new toy, and also possibly speculators thinking future price hikes might bring a small profit.

Considering that 570s sell for $300, anyone who needs a graphics card with a budget less than $300 will want to buy this.
I was thinking the same. I think people mostly with pent-up frustration at needing a new toy, and also possibly speculators thinking future price hikes might bring a small profit.
I guess... 4Gb though? That's just useless.

Card is basically a "beggars can't be choosers" card. The market is so short on GPU supply because mining that even cards that suck for mining are selling at 3x MSRP. Everyone in need of a GPU either has to pay the big bucks, get lucky from a drop or buy a low end card with no features.

The cards that are actually priced at $200 USD right now are all like 1GB/2GB cards like the 1050ti. You'd have to go up to $300 to get the cheapest 1650 for 4GB vram.

The whole market is messed up, pretty sure reviewers are just hating on the card to generate clicks. If you need a GPU and can get this at near MSRP, it will be the best card you can buy for the money. That is until GPU pricing returns to normal.

Also the card is getting sold out already so it might not even matter, probably will be >$300 by tomorrow.

AMD hiding their "4Gb is not enough" blog post today just prior to release of the 6500XT, then magically comes back after they're called out on it. Funny stuff.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...ming-4gb-vram-is-not-enough-for-todays-games/
AMD has hidden a blog post from its own website that, in June 2020, claimed ‘4GB of VRAM… is evidently not enough for todays games.’ This comes ahead of the RX 6500 XT launch at 2pm today, a graphics card with just 4GB of video memory, that has already received heavy criticism online.

Just to be clear, 4GB is not enough. Not anymore, no way. So glad I picked up the 8GB 580, watching the VRAM use going in the 5-7GB range isn't abnormal for modern games even at 1080.

EDITED BITS: I don't care about cost savings, anything under 6GB on a modern card just isn't right. 4GB is wrong, cheap, and stupid for this card and this card is pretty stupid all around. Not happy about that, but damned if it isn't bleeding obvious to anyone who knows anything about viddy cards.

The 6500XT RT performance is so low the card is basically a paper weight.

For example, enabling ray tracing effects in Resident Evil Village 1080p dropped the FPS from an enjoyable 81 FPS to 7.9 FPS, a 90% loss. Other titles are similarly affected: Watch Dogs Legion: -65%, Deathloop: -68%, Cyberpunk -75%.

deathloop-rt-1920-1080.png
resident-evil-village-rt-1920-1080.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-6500-xt-tuf-gaming/33.html

Last edited:
When I buy a GPU I try and get one that I feel will be supported in the future for as long as predictable/reasonable, this thing passed its expiration date before they bloody released it!

It's just so awful, WHY?

Coincidentally this highlights why Nvidia is so bent on not releasing any RTX cards with less than 6GB of VRAM probably. 3050 4GB some day maybe?
I would assume the drop off is the 16mb of infinity cache not being enough to handle VR requirements rather than going over total VRAM.

Back