AMD: R9xx Speculation

I think that is the end of AMD's domination and slowly but surely they are losing ground, respectively market share. :(
Someday, I'll really make a list of all your post concerning AMD/ATI ... the way they seem to jump up-and-down in your esteem is hilarious :LOL:

Weren't you all hyped HD6970 beating GTX580 just a few days ago? ;)

@ your question:
Why is the availability of R6870 so low at newegg in comparison with GTX 460
The realy question is: How is it possible that GTX460 cards start selling for ~$129 (see above) - yet there still seem to be so many cards in stock? :rolleyes:

Seems like a lot of people wouldn't even want GTX460 if it was (almost) for free - so how exactly is the market favouring Nvidia products at the moment?

Last time I checked, low prices + a lot of untouched, fully stuffed shelves were an indication of a product not doing all too well in the market - and high prices + a lot of empty / sold out shelves indicated a lot of demand / market domination. Not the other way round :rolleyes:

In any case, it would probably be wise not to use it so much. I know it's murderous rage-inducing to some people.

I have kept myself from posting.. I've pressed back on about seven posts.. a year ago I would've gone Agro on the rolleyes and giving me a vacation in the process.

He's trying to prove that excessive availability is no more useful than adequate availability. If you can buy one, there is no shortage. Doesn't really make a difference how many different companies are selling one when the product is almost exactly the same anyway.

QFT.

Availability is binary.
So is glut :)

Like my rolleyes?

The problem I have with the 'delay' is that in order for AMD to get Xmas sales, is for them to have the item in stock. With this late release, the 6970 is not going to hit the shelve in time overseas for it to become a present.

F**king AMD irritate me when they do shit like this. Guess I'll look into buying the card much, much later now instead.

Do you really think the target market for Xmas gifts of video cards care if they get the gift 3 weeks before christmas or 3 weeks after ?

I know personaly that for the adults in the family when the gift comes in we get it. My parents bought me a 24inch monitor and when it comes monday it will be set up. If it had been delayed till january 15 i would cry and through a temper tandrum like when my father couldn't find mario bros 2 back when i was 6

So ... what are the chances of AMD and Futuremark coordinating the launches of 3DMark11 and the HD69** series? Maybe the Futuremark guys couldn't make the planned release date - so AMD decided to wait a bit longer?

It's funny they used the below picture for the GTX580+3DMark11 bundle announcement. Little red icon in the upper right corner of the big blue box says hi - and what AMD chip would be a better fit for a new DX11 benchmark than AMD's 8th gen tessellator part? :smile:
msij.jpg

link.

I can't comment on unannounced products!

;)

(that goes for both the release date of 3DMark11 and that particular Radeon card)

I can't comment on unannounced products!

;)

(that goes for both the release date of 3DMark11 and that particular Radeon card)
Ok, so there already is a final release date for 3DMark11?

Come on, it seems obvious. You guys at MSI prepare boxes for 3DMark11 bundles - yet Futuremark still refuses to give the concrete release date? Why would they forfeit the marketing momentum behind finally announcing a solid date if it wasn't for an even more forceful marketing deal still under cover?

This thread should be used for Cayman-related speculations. Not to GTX460's pricing, HD6800's availability or "AMD is doomed"-cries. Could I ask you to keep it on mind, please?

The next shrink and the new consoles can't come soon enough as the taste of these large hot red and green chips appear to be under utilised time fillers.

Last edited by a moderator:
How exactly did those GTX465 and 460 1GB turn out faster than HD6850 on that chart again?
I know they didn't in any reviews I remember reading

edit:
and GTX260 beating 4890? :D

Yes, it could be true. Cayman being 30% faster could also be true. As well as supply shortages from Texas Instruments could be true. nApoleon saying Cayman will still launch in November could also be true. HD6950 competing with GTX580 could also be true.

What is not true, is that that there can be done tweaks to a card in a short amount of time. Only improved drivers, but I guess, not that much.

Back